Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MP3 Player Troubles  (Read 2185 times)

TNT

MP3 Player Troubles
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »

Can anyone tell me why, when i plug my MP3 player into the bike, that the music sounds AWFUL, the sound quality is really bad. I am thinking maybe the MP3 player is lacking power/amperage, and is not matched properly to my SERG sound system??. When i use the MP3 player alone, with the ear pieces it came with, it sounds fine,For some reason it is being distorted when used on the bike. I know basically nothing about MP3 players so try and answer this in the simplest of terms. Thanks   

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
Re: MP3 Player Troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »

TNT,

Try turning the volume *DOWN* on your MP3 player. Every player is different, but usually, the volume should be somewhere around 50% of maximum on the device. Then you can control the volume through your radio using the volume control on your hand controls.

If you have the volume on the MP3 device turned up too high, it will "overmodulate" the input on the radio causing a great deal of distortion due to clipping, etc.

RickC

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »

TNT,

Try turning the volume *DOWN* on your MP3 player. Every player is different, but usually, the volume should be somewhere around 50% of maximum on the device. Then you can control the volume through your radio using the volume control on your hand controls.

If you have the volume on the MP3 device turned up too high, it will "overmodulate" the input on the radio causing a great deal of distortion due to clipping, etc.

RickC

I'll give that a shot Rick. The music from my Zumo is not near as loud as the CD.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:47:54 PM »

This probably has no bearing, but I recorded some MP3 Format songs onto a CD, got around 100 songs per disc. They sound great, Very clear, the Harmon Kardon displays Group name and track and file names (if you use file names). This was something I knew nothing about, but I am sold now. Carry 5 CD's and have 500 songs. Technology is good.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:54:24 AM »

This probably has no bearing, but I recorded some MP3 Format songs onto a CD, got around 100 songs per disc. They sound great, Very clear, the Harmon Kardon displays Group name and track and file names (if you use file names). This was something I knew nothing about, but I am sold now. Carry 5 CD's and have 500 songs. Technology is good.

I like the idea of putting songs on disc. No dead ipod battery to worry about and you can change songs with the thumb controls. Only question I have is how did you get 100 songs per CD. I can only get 25 - 30 max.

infanterene

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:09:57 AM »

MP3 format takes up less space on a disk. 100 songs fit the big disk no problem.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »

MP3 format takes up less space on a disk. 100 songs fit the big disk no problem.

How big is a "big" disk? All I can find are700 mg, are there bigger? Also how big are each song, approx? Thanks

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »

How big is a "big" disk? All I can find are700 mg, are there bigger? Also how big are each song, approx? Thanks

My songs average about 5,000 Kbs and my CD-Rs are 700 Mbs. Too early to do the math but it's a bunch of songs.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 01:40:59 AM »

My songs average about 5,000 Kbs and my CD-Rs are 700 Mbs. Too early to do the math but it's a bunch of songs.

My songs are about the same, but somehow the program I use works it out in minutes. CD = 70 minutes, each song is approx 4 minutes = 24 songs per disc. I use the drag and drop program that came with Vista. Is there a better program that will get me more songs per CD?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:44:39 AM »

I use Windows Media Player via Windows XP. Just pulled one of my CDs and it's got 88 songs on it. I'm sure I've others w/ a couple of more songs on them. My son uses Nero Media Player www.nero.com w/ about the same results. You are making a "data" CD, not a "music" CD, right?

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »

Data CD, hmmm. I'll try that and let you know. It if works - Thank you

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 10:04:33 PM »

Nope, that didn't work. Ytube says I need to use Nero. Guess I'll have to settle for 25 tunes per CD. Thanks for the input just the same.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »

Nope, that didn't work. Ytube says I need to use Nero. Guess I'll have to settle for 25 tunes per CD. Thanks for the input just the same.
If you're trying to convert CD's to MP3's open up Windows Media Player... click on "Rip"... "Format".. and select "MP3"... while in the "Rip" tab scroll to "Rip CD automatically when inserted"... make sure "Only when in Rip Tab" is selected. Now stay in the rip tab... insert a music CD and let it rip the CD to MP3's. You'll have to make note of where the MP3's are being ripped (saved) to, then when they are ripped you'll want to cut/paste (or copy) them to a CD.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »

If you're trying to convert CD's to MP3's open up Windows Media Player... click on "Rip"... "Format".. and select "MP3"... while in the "Rip" tab scroll to "Rip CD automatically when inserted"... make sure "Only when in Rip Tab" is selected. Now stay in the rip tab... insert a music CD and let it rip the CD to MP3's. You'll have to make note of where the MP3's are being ripped (saved) to, then when they are ripped you'll want to cut/paste (or copy) them to a CD.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Yep   :2vrolijk_21:

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

Can anyone tell me why, when i plug my MP3 player into the bike, that the music sounds AWFUL, the sound quality is really bad. I am thinking maybe the MP3 player is lacking power/amperage, and is not matched properly to my SERG sound system??. When i use the MP3 player alone, with the ear pieces it came with, it sounds fine,For some reason it is being distorted when used on the bike. I know basically nothing about MP3 players so try and answer this in the simplest of terms. Thanks   
[/quot

More to the original question. Be sure the AUX connector is not the issue. Board edge solder joints can be a problem, so be sure the connector is OK. Wiggle the wire a bit to see if the audio quality changes. No reason for an MP3 player to have poor audio....low volume maybe....but the audio should be clear

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.