Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: venting breathers to catch can ..... need suggestions, Thanks  (Read 18510 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: venting breathers to catch can ..... need suggestions, Thanks
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 10:36:53 PM »

So from all these posts it sounds like the front head pukes out more oily mist than the rear. My set up is real basic, two independant banjo bolt fittings running down to a common "T" behind the throttle body. I have a clear plastic tube running off to the bottom of the bike. Since the "waste product" is a white foamy substance not really recycleable back into the engine, I'll probably get the JAZ can and dump it every now and then. I'm just getting tired of cleaning the underside of the frame. The last couple of shops I have been in have all called me saying I have a MAJOR oil leak somewhere under the engine.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »

So I've been thinking out the best way to route the hoses for a clean looking install. Do any of you think routing them UP and under the tank would be a problem? I know the vapors can easily escape, but what about the oil? Would the engine build up a potentially damaging amount of pressure trying to push oil out and up and over the top of the engine?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »

So from all these posts it sounds like the front head pukes out more oily mist than the rear. My set up is real basic, two independant banjo bolt fittings running down to a common "T" behind the throttle body. I have a clear plastic tube running off to the bottom of the bike. Since the "waste product" is a white foamy substance not really recycleable back into the engine, I'll probably get the JAZ can and dump it every now and then. I'm just getting tired of cleaning the underside of the frame. The last couple of shops I have been in have all called me saying I have a MAJOR oil leak somewhere under the engine.

that's exactly what you get when there is moisture and pressure in the crankcase and then it is vented out the breathers

when I dump the Jazz can, what comes out is water and a creamy looking oil based substance ..... as you said, not something that you'd want to 'recycle' back into the engine.  Anyone that ever sees that would not want it going back into the engine.

Having it on the bottom of the bike/frame, is exactly why I didn't just run it to a open hose under the bike, it would still make a mess. Best way, IMHO, to deal with it is to catch it and then dump it when you want to.
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:14 AM »

So I've been thinking out the best way to route the hoses for a clean looking install. Do any of you think routing them UP and under the tank would be a problem? I know the vapors can easily escape, but what about the oil? Would the engine build up a potentially damaging amount of pressure trying to push oil out and up and over the top of the engine?

Mark

personally I would not run the hoses 'up'
I don't think there's enough pressure in the breathers to clear the hose, the oil can not run back into the engine ......  not sure exactlly what problems this would cause.  I've read many post where guys have done that, and state that they have no problems.

I've not read anywhere exactly how it is that they believe the oil can go back into the engine ... it can't, I'd like for someone who believes that it can, describe in DETAIL exactly how that can happen ......
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

johnsfxr2

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »

I have an FXR 2 and got a catch can from Kuryakyn. I routed a braided line in between the cylinders and made a stainless steel bracket to hang behind the coil. Therefore the catch can is just below the coil mounted to the bracket in between the cylinders.
It looks proper and is accessible for cleaning.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 12:43:12 PM »

Well I ran the hoses "up" to a T fitting then  single hose down the frame, under theseat and exiting out the right side ofthe frame for a low dump near the ground. It seems to be working real well. The last two days I did some long and elevated rides with sustained speeds. There is evidence of dumping as the hose is wet and darkened by oil. However with the dump located far and back of the frame everything is much cleaner now.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »

Are you getting any drops or mist on your rear wheel?   :nixweiss:spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »

Are you getting any drops or mist on your rear wheel? 

I just went out and checked it. Except for brake dust and road grime the rear wheel looks clean.

Mark

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 10:28:13 AM »

All this talk about getting "oil mist/oil/stuff" on the underneath part of one's bike doesn't happen here with mine.....but then again I am not carrying the extra weight of a chicken on the back either.... :bananarock: so  :nixweiss:  anyway........

I put a 90 degree elbow pointing directly down to the ground on the end of my hose and my bike has always stayed clean underneath.....lol just ask Paul...I KNOW CLEAN!!!! lol.....

and with enough talent you boys and girls could color code your elbows if you wanted!!!   :2vrolijk_21:

cheap and works!  the elbow came in around $1.00.  Color options do vary......

Where you see the "elbow" at the bottom you might notice another elbow as well....and that is because I extended the "J" vent tube comming off of the transmission down to this location as well.....

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your cursor next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your cursor on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:35:57 AM by FXR2evo99 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.