Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front end "roar" on '08 SERK...  (Read 1474 times)

LoneCustom

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Glide in Crystal Citron
Front end "roar" on '08 SERK...
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:07 AM »

I'm having an odd issue with my '08 SE Road King and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or any ideas.  I never noticed any excessive noise coming from the front end of the bike until late last year when I had an HID headlight installed.  After picking up the bike, I began to notice that once I hit 20-25 MPH, there is a distinct "roaring" sound coming from somewhere in the front of the bike.  As I get up to highway speed, the sound gets louder, but does not change in pitch.  I also note that if it is very windy, the noise is louder. 
My fear was that something was wrong with the brake rotors (I've read the posts about warped rotors on SERKs) or that the wheel bearings were crapping out.  However, braking does not produce any noticeable vibration and the wheel hubs are cool to the touch after even fairly long rides.
The fact that the noise does not change in pitch makes me think it is not anything to do with the wheels (i.e. wind howling through the cross-drilled rotors or the "vanes" the rotors are bolted to).  Obviously, the windscreen was taken off and the headlamp shell opened to install the HID system, so perhaps when it was all re-assembled something is not aligned correctly and the "howl" is just wind blowing in and around the headlamp shell/bottom of the windscreen.  Nothing seems to be out of place on the front end, though. 
My next step is to remove the windscreen and ride a few miles without it to see if that makes a difference. The "howling" noise isn't particularly annoying (after all, the engine is cranking out some decibels as well).  I do want to make sure that riding it isn't harming anything. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any idea what might be going on?  It's due for state inspection shortly and when I take it in, I'll ask the tech to take it for a test ride and see if they can identify the "mystery howl".  Thanks!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Front end "roar" on '08 SERK...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »

I didn't notice any different noise on my '07 when I put an HID on it (X-citing Lighting from Kuryachin).  But since you say it happened at the same time that's where I'd be looking.  One thing you could try is running some tape over the gap between the headlight and nacelle to see if that's where the noise is being generated.  The gap is probably different than stock.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »

I had the front wheel bearings go out on my 08 SERK, they were noisy. If you have a jack or lift, raise it up and spin the wheel, that is how I found mine. Otherwise, I did get wind noise from the nacelle gap, which I fixed by going to lowes and getting some round foam insulation and putting it around the headlight before the factory trim ring. That was a wind noise though, not a growling type noise which was the wheel bearings.

LoneCustom

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Glide in Crystal Citron
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

Otherwise, I did get wind noise from the nacelle gap, which I fixed by going to lowes and getting some round foam insulation and putting it around the headlight before the factory trim ring. That was a wind noise though, not a growling type noise which was the wheel bearings.

Bingo - that's what is going on.  Last night, I decided to really investigate the noise.  I hooked up my MetroVac motorcycle dryer (which blows a fairly strong stream of air).   I aimed it at the front wheel - nothing unusual.  When I directed the air stream at the headlight nacelle - there was the roar!  Apparently, the "guts" of the HID bulb assembly do not fill up the headlight housing as much as the original equipment halogen bulb did.  There always was about a quarter-inch gap between the headlamp and the edge of the nacelle.  Now, however, there is a bunch of empty space behind the gap and it acts as an echo chamber.  I will be visiting my local home supply store for some foam insulation.  According to their web site, it should run about $2.40.  Now that is the kind of fix that I like!  Thanks for the info!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »

The Screamin' Eagle accessories catalog may have the same insulation for about $59.99.  Would come in a nice black and orange blister pack and include instructions that probably don't work with your bike.  Glad you found the problem.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »

The Screamin' Eagle accessories catalog may have the same insulation for about $59.99.  Would come in a nice black and orange blister pack and include instructions that probably don't work with your bike.  Glad you found the problem.

You need TWO packs of it to seal the entire Nacelle! ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

I had that issue with my 07 SERK and used the round foam insulation.  My 06 FLHX actually has a rubber gasket around the trim ring for that problem.  The 07 Road King did not.  You could get the piece from a faring bike and use it.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.