Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil drops in the muffler  (Read 1052 times)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
Oil drops in the muffler
« on: August 15, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »

I have the dipstick with the temp gauge and level meter.  When I had my first oil change it flashed "Hi Oil" all the time.  Now it does not.

Yesterday I noticed a few drops of oil on the left tail pipe.  I have not seen it since.

I checked the oil tonight at it is down about 1/2 quart after 2000 mile.  I think I smell oil sometimes when the engine is hot.

I have to admit I when through a "race" phase from about 850 miles to 2500 miles where I would open it up to 5000+ RPMs.  I try and let the bike warm up of 2-3 minutes before I drive.

Is this oil usage normal for a 110?  If not, what should I look for?  I had a 99th anniversary model  (02) FLSTCI (Harley has way to many "anniversary" models   :-\  ) that never  used a drop of oil after 43k miles.

TIA

Charles
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Oil drops in the muffler
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »

Left or right tail pipe? If right, the oil may be blow-by from the bottom of the air cleaner.  Wipe the bottom side of the air cleaner and see if there is excess oil there.  When the air filter gets saturated, it tends to blow oil back onto the pipe/muffler when riding. If that's the case, clean the filter and you should be fine until it again becomes saturated.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »

It was on the left.  It was inside where the baffle extends extends into the muffler cap.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:40:26 PM »

I have the dipstick with the temp gauge and level meter.  When I had my first oil change it flashed "Hi Oil" all the time.  Now it does not.

Yesterday I noticed a few drops of oil on the left tail pipe.  I have not seen it since.

I checked the oil tonight at it is down about 1/2 quart after 2000 mile.  I think I smell oil sometimes when the engine is hot.

I have to admit I when through a "race" phase from about 850 miles to 2500 miles where I would open it up to 5000+ RPMs.  I try and let the bike warm up of 2-3 minutes before I drive.

Is this oil usage normal for a 110?  If not, what should I look for?  I had a 99th anniversary model  (02) FLSTCI (Harley has way to many "anniversary" models   :-\  ) that never  used a drop of oil after 43k miles.

TIA

Charles

One quart in 4000 miles is acceptable for a Harley air cooled engine (Harley will try to tell you one quart in 1000 miles is acceptable, but I wouldn't accept that).  Do you normally fill the oil tank all the way to the full mark?  If you do, try running it halfway between full and add on the dipstick and see if that makes any difference.  Many of us have experienced rapid oil useage if we fill to the full mark, until the level stabilizes at roughly a pint low.  Doesn't necessarily make any sense, but it has happened to enough of us that it doesn't appear to be a figment of our imaginations.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:51:16 AM »

the reason this happens is this, you drain the oil but not all is drained, there is some residual oil left in the motor in various places. Spec says it holds 4 qts, you pour in 4 qts, you have too much oil in it, it will blow the overage out over time. where it ends up is all over your ride saddle bag, exhaust pipe, pant leg, and such. Plus, oil expands when hot vs cold. when doing a fluid change, pour in 3.5 qts. bring it up to running temp and then check. I'd rather be a little low than ANY high. this situation happens alot when the dealer does the service, these idiot techs have no idea what they are doing, especially the ones from MMI
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »

the reason this happens is this, you drain the oil but not all is drained, there is some residual oil left in the motor in various places. Spec says it holds 4 qts, you pour in 4 qts, you have too much oil in it, it will blow the overage out over time. where it ends up is all over your ride saddle bag, exhaust pipe, pant leg, and such. Plus, oil expands when hot vs cold. when doing a fluid change, pour in 3.5 qts. bring it up to running temp and then check. I'd rather be a little low than ANY high. this situation happens alot when the dealer does the service, these idiot techs have no idea what they are doing, especially the ones from MMI

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  I will keep an eye on it.  I plan on doing my 2500 mile services myself and leave the 5000 miles to the techs.  When I do my service I will stick with the 1/2 quart low setting.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.