Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2000 rpm 50 mph + or - Engine Miss  (Read 5307 times)

donat20027

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
2000 rpm 50 mph + or - Engine Miss
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:24:39 PM »

My 2004 FLHTCSE has an intermittent engine miss in 5th gear at 2000 rpm 50 mph and my dealer tells me that it is inherent in that model. The only way to elevate the problem is to increase or decrease the speed (they say it’s something that I will half to deal with) can anyone confirm or rebut that statement? Also would anyone have an idea on how to correct the problem?  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2000 rpm 50 mph + or - Engine Miss
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 01:27:23 PM »

Your dealer is lazy, incompetent or willing to lie to a customer to avoid doing work he either doesn't wish to or doesn't think he'll be able to.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 01:38:03 PM »

My 2004 FLHTCSE has an [highlight]intermittent engine miss in 5th gear at 2000 rpm 50 mph [/highlight]and my [highlight]dealer tells me that it is inherent in that model. The only way to elevate the problem is to increase or decrease the speed[/highlight] (they say it’s something that I will half to deal with) can anyone confirm or rebut that statement? Also would anyone have an idea on how to correct the problem?  
It would appear that your dealership employs some of the idiots that were left over after my dealer finished hiring.  The short and sweet answer is "B.S.".  No misfire at any engine speed is normal.  If you are still running totally stock, these bikes are very lean at 1800 - 2000 rpm, and you might experience a lean surge at those speeds.  What modifications have you done?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

donat20027

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 01:42:42 PM »

Thanks for your response, No modifications except stage one kit added at time of delivery.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:04:03 PM »

Time to find another dealer they should be willing to help you and try and figure out exactly what is wrong.   That being said:

My question is are you sure your not lugging the motor and calling it a miss since 2000 rpm in 5 gear on a stroker is umm not the way you ride a stroked motor.  
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 03:21:59 PM »

Time to find another dealer they should be willing to help you and try and figure out exactly what is wrong.   That being said:

My question is are you sure your not lugging the motor and calling it a miss since 2000 rpm in 5 gear on a stroker is umm not the way you ride a stroked motor.  

At 2000 in 5th, there should be a driveline "clunk" to go along with the "miss".....

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 03:40:01 PM »

My 2004 FLHTCSE has an intermittent engine miss in 5th gear at 2000 rpm 50 mph and my dealer tells me that it is inherent in that model. The only way to elevate the problem is to increase or decrease the speed (they say it’s something that I will half to deal with) can anyone confirm or rebut that statement? Also would anyone have an idea on how to correct the problem?  
donat20027,
First of all WELCOME to the site [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]
Your dealer should get his hearing aid adjusted. He should have told you not to lug the stroker at that rpm as was mentioned prior. But with that at least gave you the option to have it looked at, seeing as it's one of the big $$$$$$$ bikes.
  Misfire is a misfire not good at any rpm. Mine dont neither should yours.
MYCVO 8-)
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:40:34 PM »

Thanks for your response, No modifications except stage one kit added at time of delivery.

Don, are you sure they did a download on the Stage I?  

I agree that you should not be in 5th at 2000 RPM, I go there at 65 and 70 MPH.  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 04:26:19 PM »

Riding styles and being in the wrong gear aside; no dealer should ever tell a guy that a miss is "normal" and that it should be accepted and tolerated.  In this case everything else seems secondary to such terribly terribly poor advice.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 08:30:33 AM »

I find myself tooling along quite often at 50 mph in 5th gear, and I have no misfire or drive-train lurching at that speed, as long as the primary chain is adjusted properly.  I don't necessarily agree that 2000 rpm is "lugging" the engine.  Now, if you are sitting at 2000 rpm and decide to nail the throttle, then yes, that is definitely not a good thing to do.  But under light load, 2000 rpm in 5th is fine (and a lot quieter than using 3rd or 4th at 50 mph). Just remember to downshift if you want to accelerate.  BTW, if you look at the recommended shift points that H-D has in the owners manual, I believe you will find that they recommend shifting to 5th at about 45 mph.  IMHO, that is a little too low, and right at the rpm where the engine runs the leanest from the factory.  Of course, that is the same recommendation they use for all their bikes, and isn't specific to the 103.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

donat20027

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 08:48:11 AM »

OK OK OK I get the message, I will downshift sooner. My riding buddies have been telling me that for 40 years. I want to thank all of you for your help. The bike has 27500 Miles on it, I put 13000 miles on it this summer with a trip across the USA and back to Baltimore. (Yes I know that it is 3000 miles from cost to cost) But you need to think of 2 weeks in Sturgis a week in Tacoma o how beautiful the pacific highway is. I only installed a new tire and an 2 oil changes on the entire trip. I talked to another dealer last night and was told to install new spark plugs and clean the air filter. Which I will do ASAP. Ill test drive it for a short distance after installing the plugs and cleaning the air filter. I will not be taking any more trips on the bike until the Daytona 500. Ill keep you posted on the results.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 09:46:23 AM »

A stroker motor wants to be run at a little higher rpm than a motor that's not stroked.  At 2k rpm it may be "O.K." for just cruising, however, it's still hard on the motor.......it's not turning fast enough to balance out the stroke.    I think you'll notice that it just runs a little smoother (maybe a little louder) at the higher rpm range.  I try to never run below 2500 rpm (which isn't much better) and when accelerating (even just a little) I downshift first.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 11:36:26 AM »

50 in fifth is ok as long as you are not "lugging' the motor. Say on slight down hill road, just maintaing speed.  any time else it's 4th gear at 50.
That being said....the hardest time to fire a plug is under high load , part throttle conditions when the cylinder pressures are highest. If it is a misfire you are feeling...and it only occures under those conditions...it is most always a secondary ignition problem...sometims a coil..but plugs and or wires will go first. If you want to try something on your own..you have enough miles to justify a plug and wire change and see what happens.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 12:19:35 PM »

Totally agree, Syclone.  50mph is borderline for top gear, better to be in 4th.  And, plugs don't cost that much to yank 'em out and try that 1st.  Might get lucky.  Next would be plug wires, etc.....but, we've all experienced a plug going bad for no apparent reason.  Have you checked to ensure that you have not stored a 'code'?  Usually a electrical problem that would cause a intermittant miss will result in a 'code' being stored....that's been my experience.  Maybe some of the professional wrenches will comment on that.  Good luck finding it, 'cause that's gonna make you bonkers till you do.  Har!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.