Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: SADDLE BAG ENGINE GAURD REMOVAL 0n 2010 CUSE5  (Read 6805 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Re: SADDLE BAG ENGINE GAURD REMOVAL 0n 2010 CUSE5
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 10:31:56 AM »

Correct!  I have a set of SG supports sitting on the shelf because they do not have the required bracket to attach to filler strips.

Can you adapt it some way??

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »

I know what the initiator of this string is talking about, because i and some others have tried doing what he wants to do. The chrome saddlebag support brackets sold in the parts catalog are not identical to what comes stock on the CUSE4 or 5. They don't have the same mounting tabs for the filler strips that go between the saddlebags and the fender. One of the other CVO'ers from Ohio figured a work around using 3/4" rubberized cable clamps to allow the filler strips to be attached to the chrome bag supports that seems to work. I have bought the same parts he used and am in process of trying to install. Of course I am also responsible for remodeling our main bathroom, so guess which one has my attention? I fI have time, I'll try to find that string and forward to the initiator of this string.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »

I know what the initiator of this string is talking about, because i and some others have tried doing what he wants to do. The chrome saddlebag support brackets sold in the parts catalog are not identical to what comes stock on the CUSE4 or 5. They don't have the same mounting tabs for the filler strips that go between the saddlebags and the fender. One of the other CVO'ers from Ohio figured a work around using 3/4" rubberized cable clamps to allow the filler strips to be attached to the chrome bag supports that seems to work. I have bought the same parts he used and am in process of trying to install. Of course I am also responsible for remodeling our main bathroom, so guess which one has my attention? I fI have time, I'll try to find that string and forward to the initiator of this string.

Bless you
thanks

OsentoskiHarley

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »

The filler strip on my 09 SEUC is attached to the saddle bag support.  Two bolts attach to the saddle bag support and one to the rear fender.  The saddle bag support that does not have the 'gaurd' attached to it similar to the road glide does not have the bracket that is required to mount two of the three bolts that mount the filler strip.  The way that I made it work was I went to Home depot and bought some aluminum sheet metal and cut a strip out to make a clamp strap similar to how your lower fairing are attached to your engine gaurd.  I used some rubber gasket material inside the strap and secured the two bolts through the strap.  Filler stip is now attached to the new saddle bag support using these straps. 

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »

Pic ?
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

OsentoskiHarley

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »

Ok, here is a pic of what I did.  Again made an Aluminum strap clamp.  I put a rubber material inside the clamp around the guard bar and used a large washer that would maintain a nice clamp pressure on the saddle bag guard.  None of this is visible when the saddle bag is on the bike.  Cost less than $8.00. 

OsentoskiHarley

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 09:20:17 AM »

Second pic

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »

Second pic
That should work

Thanks for the help

jasel

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »

Filler strip is bolted to the saddlebag guard/support assembly. If you want to lose the guard you can just bolt on the one you want and figure out a way to reattch the filler strip. The FLHTCUSE5 strips are a piece of metal crap and not very attractive IMHO.

jasel

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 06:02:44 PM »

Not really that5 visible unless you're looking hard. I'd like to figure out a way to add a filler like on the Street Glide

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 08:00:56 PM »

Not really that5 visible unless you're looking hard. I'd like to figure out a way to add a filler like on the Street Glide
It did not come with a filler strip???

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 08:53:12 PM »

Hi bbrown, which method are you going to use? I saw the other method and thought that was better if I could get OstenskiHarley to tell us how he formed the pieces of aluminum. Sent him an e-mail but have not heard back.

jasel

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »

It did not come with a filler strip???

It did, but it;s attached to the stock saddlebag gauard. Remove the guard and you remove the filler strip too. But IMHO, it's really just a 2"x6" piece of painted metal, not like the fancy ones on the FLHX or SERG.

OsentoskiHarley

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »

Aluminum strip was very easy to form around the new saddle bag bar.  I sent you an email detailing how to form it but in the end it just wrapping it around the bar drilling a hole at both ends and securing it with the original hardware plus an extra washer.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.