Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with heated hand grips  (Read 2083 times)

Joecool

Problem with heated hand grips
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »

Just returned from a nice three day ride over the holiday weekend. We got home kinda late last night and ran into a little ran. It was about sixty degrees and raining so I decided to turn on my heated grips a little. I haven't had this bike long it is a 2006 SE Ultra. The grips had been working fine until last night . Yesterday I hit a pretty good hole in the road and maybe that had something to do with it. Its no big deal just wondering if there was something pretty common that made them quit working that I might could check without to much difficulty. 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Problem with heated hand grips
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »

It might have been the rain. The reason I say that is before I went to HotGrips I had TWO (2) sets of HD heated grips fail on me and both times it was after washing the bike. I'd install them, they'd work great, and then fail shortly there after. It's a known problem.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »

The stock heated grips have been noted for numerous failures for many reasons and it was pretty much determined they were a POS. :( Just searched in this board for threads with "heated grips" in the subject and got 12 hits and there are probably many more that don't have it as the title of the thread.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Decano

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC2
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »

On my 4th set now.  If under warranty, keep replacing them, if not, go with Heat Demons.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »

Has anyone really researched the stockers to see where they are failing?  Can they be repaired instead of dropping the dime for new ones?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »

Has anyone really researched the stockers to see where they are failing?  Can they be repaired instead of dropping the dime for new ones?

When my last set failed, I pulled them apart to have a look. Seems they use a very small gauge wire. As the wires heat up, the insulation begins to (not quite melt) become very stretchable. The first thing you may notice is the end cap coming off. As they heat up, the whole grip will start to spin. On the throttle side, this is not good! As I said, I pulled them off but the wiring was too small to get a soldering iron in there to replace and any larger wire would interfere with getting the grips back on. I've been fortunate to have them all covered under warranty. Once it's on my dime, it will be the Heat Demons.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.