Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freedom Pipe package, crack like Rhineharts?  (Read 1079 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
Freedom Pipe package, crack like Rhineharts?
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:47:35 AM »

Does the freedom package have the cracking issue like the Rineharts? I'm thinking seriously of using this setup, dont want the cracking pipe though, I also dont want to have to dent the pipe. But I like the idea of installing it myself and not needing a dyno. Your thoughts??
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Freedom Pipe package, crack like Rhineharts?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 02:07:32 AM »

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1117318458

Check that thread when you have a chance.  Stock pipes, Freedom, Rineharts; all were topics of discussion for breaking.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »

My understanding is that Freedom corrected their problem early on and it's no longer a problem.  Haven't heard of anybody whose bought the Freedom package lately, having any problems.

I don't have that set up, so I'm just trying to run off of memory......which could be a hazard. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:47:59 AM »

Does the freedom package have the cracking issue like the Rineharts? I'm thinking seriously of using this setup, dont want the cracking pipe though, I also dont want to have to dent the pipe. But I like the idea of installing it myself and not needing a dyno. Your thoughts??

Yeah, 'er 'uh, CVOwner,
  I've had my RINEHART True-Duals since 2002.  They cracked at mounting bracket, but it was my fault.  I thought the fastener was loose, and torqued it down.  It broke.  It's just a support bracket, not a clamp.  Welded it up, and reinstalled with the fastener just barely snugged, with rubber washers in addition to the metal washers, on both sides.  No problems to date.  Tilley gave me a new rear Header Pipe, which I haven't had to use.  Mine are Jett-Hot coated, and I didn't have time to wait, so I repaired.  As for not needing to dyno after installing True-Duals, I would disagree.  You are changing the exhaust displacement of air from 65% on the right, and 35% on the left, 50% on each.  My percentages may be a little off, but I'm sure you understand the principle.  I've heard of the Freedom Pipes breaking, but have not witnessed.  Later--HUBBARD   
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:02:51 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 11:53:58 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, CVOwner,
  I've had my RINEHART True-Duals since 2002.  They cracked at mounting bracket, but it was my fault.  I thought the fastener was loose, and torqued it down.  It broke.  It's just a support bracket, not a clamp.  Welded it up, and reinstalled with the fastener just barely snugged, with rubber washers in addition to the metal washers, on both sides.  No problems to date.  Tilley gave me a new rear Header Pipe, which I haven't had to use.  Mine are Jett-Hot coated, and I didn't have time to wait, so I repaired.  As for not needing to dyno after installing True-Duals, I would disagree.  You are changing the exhaust displacement of air from 65% on the right, and 35% on the left, 50% on each.  My percentages may be a little off, but I'm sure you understand the principle.  I've heard of the Freedom Pipes breaking, but have not witnessed.  Later--HUBBARDHUBBARD    

Hub, on a few cars over the years with coated headers I've had to weld repairs.  On a couple over time started losing the coating runnng away from the weld/breakage site.  Has your repair shown any signs of that?  Hopefully it wouldn't.  But might be worth putting an eyeball during oil changes.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 12:13:19 PM »

Hub, on a few cars over the years with coated headers I've had to weld repairs.  On a couple over time started losing the coating runnng away from the weld/breakage site.  Has your repair shown any signs of that?  Hopefully it wouldn't.  But might be worth putting an eyeball during oil changes.

Yeah, 'er 'er Twolane,
  OTIS told me the same thing.  He's an Ol' Redneck Drag Racer, too, you know.  As a matter of fact, I'm sending the new Header-Pipe to be coated, and will keep the repaired one for a spare.  It was fine when I parked up for Winter.  When you modify, it's always something.  I'm taking the "Led Sled" to Tilley's to inspect cam-shoes and check out my valve springs, on Dec. 27th.  Gotta' be ready for Spring time.  I hear some of 'em are layin' for me!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:37:52 PM »

I had a Freedom crack but it was because it was tighted on the support bracket. As Hubbard said just finger tighten the bracket and use some red loctite. No problem since. If you get the KuryAkin brake pedal part #1027 (http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=Harley&ci=2522) it will clear the pipe without denting it. It looks the same as the HD but has a different more comfortable (for me at least) pedal angle. If you have any mechanical aptitude you can put the system on yourself. The PCIII will come with the map for the system already loaded so it plug and play.  I did not dyno omine until several months after the install. I took it to Freedom and they ony got I think 1-2 HP and 1-2 tq more out of it. Not a noticable difference.

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 25 queries.