Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ABS: air in lines?  (Read 1586 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
ABS: air in lines?
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »

Anyone notice a spongy feel on the front brakes on the '09-'10 ABS equipped touring bikes?
My '09 had a more firm feel than the '10, feels just like air in the line. Dealer says "all the ABS bikes are like that"! My '09 was NOT!
Had the dealer do a "Manual Brake Bleed" per bulletin M-1251, and they reported "no problems"!
There is a running change to the master cylinder piston: to plastic, and wondering if this would make a difference?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this condition.
HOGMIKE

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: ABS: air in lines?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »

probably something to do as explained in this thread below

www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=39486.0

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »

probably something to do as explained in this thread below

www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=39486.0

Thanks, I have a copy of that TSB.
I'm just wondering if anyone else can run to the garage, grab the front brake lever, and see if it pulls close to the grip.
AND, can you pump it a time or two, and get it to "firm up" farther away from the grip? Remember: ABS models only!
It's just something I can't get used to, just different from my '09 ABS, and a lot different from the non-ABS brakes.
Maybe the service tech here is correct????? He says its a function of the ABS module, and the way they work.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
HOGMIKE

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »

On my '08 with ABS I always pump the front once to "firm up" the lever.  Been that way since new and the service mgr. says it's normal.  I call bulls**t on that, but I haven't taken the time to bleed them myself.  Also read that it takes a DT to bleed them - don't know if that is true or not.  Brakes work great, but I think they need to be bled properly.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »

I have never had any issues on my 08 other than a little wheel hoop in loose grave/situations; my truck does the same thing. I actually like the ABS  system, best thing Harley ever did IMO  :2vrolijk_21:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »

On my '08 with ABS I always pump the front once to "firm up" the lever.  Been that way since new and the service mgr. says it's normal.  I call bulls**t on that, but I haven't taken the time to bleed them myself.  Also read that it takes a DT to bleed them - don't know if that is true or not.  Brakes work great, but I think they need to be bled properly.

Bill

According to everything I read back in '07 about the new '08 ABS brakes, you should have the system hooked up and the computer engaged by a HD mechanic.  Not sure if there is an effective way to do this manually with all the electronics on the ABS.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »

According to everything I read back in '07 about the new '08 ABS brakes, you should have the system hooked up and the computer engaged by a HD mechanic.  Not sure if there is an effective way to do this manually with all the electronics on the ABS.

I understand about this procedure, question I have is why the '10 brake lever feels "spongy" and the '09 does not.
Dealer has said there is not a problem, can't really explain why one bike feels firm, the other is spongy.
I would think they should all feel about the same, even with the minor change to the master cylinder from '09 to '10.
Just not comfortable with the soft feel, and having to "pump it up" while riding!
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

I understand about this procedure, question I have is why the '10 brake lever feels "spongy" and the '09 does not.
Dealer has said there is not a problem, can't really explain why one bike feels firm, the other is spongy.
I would think they should all feel about the same, even with the minor change to the master cylinder from '09 to '10.
Just not comfortable with the soft feel, and having to "pump it up" while riding!

You need to call "BS".  There is no reason why the 2010 should be mushy, and you should never ever have to "pump up" a brake system!

The only way to bleed an ABS system completely and properly is through use of the Digital Technician to cycle all the valves in the ABS pump.  You can get the air out of the calipers and lines, but if there is still air in the pump you are going to have mushy brakes.  And btw, just because someone hooks the DT up doesn't mean they know what they're doing or that they followed the procedure to the letter.  If this dealer can't or won't help, find another one.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 03:34:09 PM »

Thanks Jerry - ABS valves explain the need for the DT to properly bleed the system.  I still think in an older system, (old fart) mode - bleed all the lines, calipers, master cylinder and all is good.  Gotta start reading more to keep up with all this "new" technology!

The problem around here is finding a Dealer with a tech good enough to actually do it right. Took my bike in for the ABS reflash and an annual state inspection.  2 hours later they brought it around front and said it was ready.  I drove off, got 1/2 mile, and the ABS light was still on.  Turned around and went back, response was "oh yeah, we can fix that", I also noticed they hadn't inspected it either!  End result, brakes work - except for having to "pump" the front once (been that way since new), and I have an inspection sticker.  Another outstanding service dept.!

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »

Mine did that and they had to bleed the lines. Works fine ever since.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.