Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage oil changes....made easier and cleaner!  (Read 742 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Cage oil changes....made easier and cleaner!
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:31:35 PM »

I thought I'd share this with ya'll...it makes oil changes a lot easier and cleaner.....leaving more time to ride!

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CIXKkaDzxasCFR5CgwodaUVm3A

I've had these on quite a few different apps.....from boats to tractors...cars and trucks, the most recent two being a Jetta TDi and 3.0 CRD Jeep. I alway get the one with the nipple...a chunk of 3/8" hose, and you drain right into a jug.
Also, they are great for grabbing an oil sample to get analyzed.

Some vehicles are a PITA to drain, like the 3.0 CRD, and this makes it a breeze.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Cage oil changes....made easier and cleaner!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »

So, what size would fit a twin cam??

I see you can order by size.  Just need to figure out what size the drain plug is on the bike.  

I have my dealer checking on the size of our drain plugs now.  HD part # 60328-98B.  I will then see if this specific size is available from Qwik Valve and if not, if they will make one for us.  I may want the motorcycle franchise.  

Okay, our size is 1/2" - 13 - 1/2".  QW is on the east coast and closed until Monday...  to be continued.

In the meantime, I found the Oil Change Wonder.  About $50 shipped.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:05:13 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »

I think the Harley drain plug is 1/2-20.  That would be a FN-101 Fumoto Quik Valve if you want the nipple version, or F-101 without the nipple.  I've been using their drain valves for a ton of years on my auto's, and I've got nothing but good things to say about them.  I thought about buying one for the Harley a few years back, but never got around to checking to see if there was enough clearance (the valve is a little bulky).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »

I think the Harley drain plug is 1/2-20.  That would be a FN-101 Fumoto Quik Valve if you want the nipple version, or F-101 without the nipple.  I've been using their drain valves for a ton of years on my auto's, and I've got nothing but good things to say about them.  I thought about buying one for the Harley a few years back, but never got around to checking to see if there was enough clearance (the valve is a little bulky).

Jerry

Don't remember who and couldn't find the old post.  Someone tried this quite some time ago and said there wasn't room to fully seat the fitting in the recessed are of the pan that holds the pan plug.  Purely anecdotal at this point though should anyone want to guinea pig it again.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »

Why???? It takes 5 seconds to remove the threaded oil plug... Besides, if u piz someone off, this thing makes for easy revenge.  :o

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »

Why???? It takes 5 seconds to remove the threaded oil plug... Besides, if u piz someone off, this thing makes for easy revenge.  :o

Your good!
It takes me 11 seconds.

:nervous:    :nervous:    :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »

Don't think I'd want one on the bike.....front and center for all to see!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »

Excuse me guys, but unless you hang around places where folks lay on the ground looking under bikes a lot, I seriously doubt it will be obvious to anyone.  However, I think Twolane is correct, it probably won't fit into the available area on a Harley without modification.

The advantage to these valves on cars is at least three-fold.  First, there is no chance of stripping out the oil pan from repeated removal and installation of a drain plug.  This can be very important if you let the kiddies at Jiffy Lube change your oil, or you're the type who often strips stuff.  Second, it is nice and clean when you use the nipple version and a vinyl or rubber hose to drain the oil.  No splashing, no dropping the damned plug in the hot oil (butter fingers), etc.  Third, if you don't have a lift it's much easier to just reach or slide under the car far enough to stick the hose on the nipple and flip the lever, versus getting under there with a wrench.  I've been using them for at least 15 years or more on cars and SUV's, and it's one of the first things I buy when I get a new vehicle.  One of these times I'll actually be smart enough to remember to remove it from the old vehicle before I sell it so I don't have to keep buying new ones. Duh!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »

Your good!
It takes me 11 seconds.

:nervous:    :nervous:    :nervous:

SBB

i was bragging just a little bit,, it takes me 11 seconds too    ???

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.