Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Light Bucket  (Read 2458 times)

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange
Light Bucket
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »

In October last year I picked up my new 08 SSE2 and noticed that the light bucket shook a lot to the point that it was a big distraction to not only me but to other riders that were riding out in front.  Since I didn’t get to ride too much before the weather got too cold I decided to wait until my 500 mile service and mention it then.  When I took it in for the service a few weeks ago the service dept looked at it and determined that the rubber grommets on the inside were damaged.  These bushings absorb shock and smooth out the shakiness.  They had to order a whole new bucket after HD approved the request and it was delivered in a week or so.  I took the bike back and they installed the new bucket and it was a big improvement with the shaking.  Yesterday I had occasion to ride it for the first time at night and noticed that on low beam the light looks like it’s “crooked”.  The light arc on the roadway is lower on the left side giving me more light on the left side of the roadway and less light on the curbside.  I also notice that the high beam is almost useless and I get better light with just the low beam.  I’m wondering is it possible the lamp got damaged prior to the bucket being replaced or if there is some adjustment that can be made to the light to “straighten out” the beam.
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
Re: Light Bucket
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:32:28 PM »

I think that I saw in the owners manual instructions to adjust the beam. My 07 shakes a little. I just thought that they all did this.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »

I think that I saw in the owners manual instructions to adjust the beam. My 07 shakes a little. I just thought that they all did this.

Mine still shakes, but not nearly as severe as when I first got the bike and after the new one was installed.  I'm going to take another look at the light assembly and see if there isn't something I can adjust.
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

08springer

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »

My 08 shakes also. At night I can see it bouncing better than the day. I took my lens off and looked inside. I tightened everything up and it still bounces some. I figured this defect or bad engineering design could make me more visible so I am leaving mine alone.

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »

The headlight bucket on my 08 FXSTSSE2 has ad issues with shaking since I got the bike. I tightened everything and have come to the believe it is an engineering issue.  :2vrolijk_21:

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »

My original issue that they found in the service department was that one or two of the rubber shock absorber washers was damaged.  It is a whole lot better since it was replaced, now I just think I only have the lens alignment issue to deal with.  If yours really shakes I would have the dealer look at it.  I couldn't tell that anything was amiss when I took it apart, but they did, and fixed the problem.
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »

I wonder if Harley knows about this issue. I checked the brackets and it looked like everything is tight. Maybe just a bad design.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »

They just shake (a little) as that's the way they are designed :( But the light output on my '07 is excellent (both high and low) so you may have a damaged or defective bulb or reflector!
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »

I think I got the refelector issue fixed.  In looks like it was reinstalled slightly askew. I rotated it a bit and will see if it looks better when I ride at night this weekend.  Still have to see if the high beam is any better.  If not I will see if the bulb maybe defective.
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »

Well I took the bike over to the rear of a Wal-Mart last night with a tape measure and the ratchet wrench.  Measured a spot on the wall at 35" and marked the pavement at 25' from the wall. I realigned the light on highbeam to be equal distance up and down on the 35" line.  Drove it around for a bit and it seems soooo much better.  The beam on high is nice and flat and it seems to be at the right height.  Low beam looks good as well.
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »

So how far out was it ? I might need to check mine when I get home.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »

So how far out was it ? I might need to check mine when I get home.

It wasn't really too bad.  I just had to raise it up a bit.  The biggest difference was getting the reflector straightened out and level.  I hear that high beam on most bikes are a joke anyway, so I guess that what I have is all that I'm going to get short of adding a light bar and more lights. 
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

XBUNCEX

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »

My low beam shakes like crazy but for some reason the high beam doesn't. I actually like the shake because most people find it annoying and move right out of the way. It works well with my aggressive riding.  :pepper:

Does anyone know if there is a headlight mount extension that would raise my headlight a few inches? I have a 08 FXSTSSE2 and I think the frontend would look better if the light were mounted a touch higher.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.