Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback needed on a proposed 107 build  (Read 2401 times)

Tom149

• 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate, 107CI
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 98' Fatboy 95th Anniversary Edition - Wife's Ride
Feedback needed on a proposed 107 build
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »

I have a 06' FLHTCUSE with a stock 103 with SE air breather, Rinehart True Duals with performance baffles, and a SE Race Tuner. The Bike weighs 885 lbs. and I live in Denver, Colorado (5280 ft.).

Please let me know what you think about this proposed build:

1. Stage II headwork - Every head is ported on our state of the art CNC equipment and then flow tested to ensure quality and performance. The Stage 2 head is at home on heavy or light bikes. Carbureted or injected, the Stage 2 produces excellent horsepower and torque across a broad rpm range. In addition to the treatment given to the Stage 1 heads, Stage 2 Twin Cam heads incorporate all new NRHS Hurricane components including chromium silicon valve springs that can accommodate cam lifts up to .650". Also included are oversize 1.900/1.615" NRHS Hurricane valves machined to a proprietary profile to maximize flow over the entire lift range. This valve along with NRHS's own valve seat profile make the head perform fantastically for many thousands of miles. A really deluxe set of heads, the Stage 2 package will transform your Twin Cam into a powerful bike that's even more fun to ride! (He will trade my 103" castings for Silver TC 88 castings and charge as if I were supplying the heads)Cheaper than buying new fully ported heads!

2. Deck the heads for about 9.9-1 compression

3. Bore stock 103 cylinders (3.875) to 105 or 106 and supply CP forged flat top pistons

4. Convert to S&S gear drive 510 or 570 cams

5. Install oil pump spring

The total price for parts and labor is about $2800. What do you guys think of the proposed job and the price. Am I overlooking anything?

Thank You, Tom

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:19:22 AM by Tom149 »
Tom

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Feedback needed on a proposed 103 build
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »

If this were my bike or a friends bike the first thing I would do before they even started down this road I would ask them what the crank run out is.

Once you know this you will be better able to decide what direction you may or may not go with.

Next the package is the key, but in your package I dont see Cam Bearings, I dont see New Lifters, I dont see Pushrods, What throttlebody you going to use, are they changing injectors?  Does this include a mapping / tuning?

May end up needing a cam plate or oil pump, can't say till you examine it and know what you could be in for in the budget. 

Don't have any information on the company good or bad.   http://www.nrhsperformance.com/headworktc.shtml

Cant speak to how good these guys are and the heads are one of the most important pieces of your puzzle.  The 570 cam would be the better choice if those were only 2 choices you were after.   Be sure to know what your cranking compressions will be at sea level vs. 5000 feet air is a bit thinner up there in Denver incase you ever end up on a coastal trip.

A good friend just redid his 03 SE Roadking with Sach's heads and the 570 cam.  The bike runs great.  It is a good package in a 103, haven't seen the cam used in 106.5 or 107

Hope your project turns out great !

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »

the first thing I would do before they even started down this road I would ask them what the crank run out is.

DING.....

IMO, I would send Don (DeweysHeads) here on the forum a pm and discuss choices. He won't steer you wrong  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Tom149

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. First thing the builder and I discussed was crank runout. It will be checked. If all is well we will go gear drive including cam bearings. I agree with you on the 570g as a better choice for the build. We discussed oil pump (add spring) and camplate and he feels stock is ok as long as all is well. Roller Rockers may be needed with .570 lift (right on the borderline). The bike will be dynoed and tuned. The motor has 7600 miles on it so not sure about lifters. Keeping stock Throttle Body, changing pushrods. We will check to see if I have the late 06 injectors as my bike was built May 06.

Thank You,
Tom
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:42:12 PM by Tom149 »
Tom

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:54:09 AM »

Tom,

When you change a cam you change the lifters and the bearings, I would never skimp there.  Stock throttlebody is a 43mm would not go stock if it were mine.  Wouldnt consider roller rockers till you hit 600 lift or higher.  No need for them and why have the noise if you dont need em.

HPI 51 mm or Zippers 50mm good choices for the build you are looking at.
HD 99a Stock lifters as replacement

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Tom149

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »

Unbalanced,

Thank you for your response

Guess I will change lifters as well as bearings then. I thought SE 103 throttle body was 46mm and mine was a late build (May 06') so hoping for the late style injectors 25 degree. Maybe it could be bored to 48mm or so. IMHO anything above a .560 lift is borderline for roller rockers. I love the two throttle bodies you suggested, but money is an issue.

TY
Tom
Tom

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »

I was looking at getting a kit from them for the Sportster when I redo that bike.  Like others said, don't go to high on the corrected compression, you may want to leave the hills someday and go down near sea level!

Craig

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »

I have a bored to 48MM throttle body.  PM me.  If it were my bike, I would change the oil pump to a Feuling pump while I was in there as well.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

My response on the other board for the benefit of the guys here
...I have lived at high elevation and it is very different to get these motors to work well there IME.
Using cams with added exhaust duration (dual pattern), high overlap, large slow ports, and low compression are all your enemy. The hp derates very quickly as you loose air pressure at altitude and these features add to the problem.
A bike that a barnstormer at sea level becomes a turd real quick.

...A minimalist approach is what I recomend on the heads. Mostly changes to fix the factory issues. Those 103+ heads have big ports and valves already. They have issues that need to be fixed like loose valve fit to the guides, bad seals, and the seats need to be checked as they have been known to come loose. So reliability issues fixed first and then on to airflow. They have a 93% intake throat which doesn't help the torque number or feel. No bigger ports, just cleanup. In fact a stock casting would be cheaper and yield great results for the mountains still working well at sea level, but you loose the SE logo.
Cam I would use is a Woods TW5-6R conversion to roller chain hydra tensioner. Short and sweet.
Exhaust with a 2 into 1 pipe, or stock headpipes and a good slip-on (V&H classic) plus cleaned out y pipe junction or even Fullsacks. Stock throttle body. Pistons not CP, the S&S 106" kit or Axtell is what I would choose and they use Wisecos, JE respectively AFAIK.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »

*********************plus cleaned out y pipe junction******************

Thanks Dewey (Don)
People would be amazed at what that will do for moving exhaust gases on the pre-09 pipes!
Glad you mentioned it!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.