Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Double bike fatality report - interesting read  (Read 2732 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Double bike fatality report - interesting read
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »

I received this email today with a link to an accident involving two bikes and two fatalities. The link has the full report with photos of the scene and the bikes.

The Virginia Multi-disciplinary Crash Investigation Team has just released

REPORT # 210: Two Motorcycle Head On Collision—Double Fatality

ABSTRACT:

A motorcycle traveling around a curve crossed the centerline and struck a second motorcycle headed in the opposite direction.  The drivers of both bikes vaulted forward, striking body to body, and then tumbling to the ground.  One driver died immediately from his injuries; the other died while in the process of being transported from the area.  Both motorcycles were damaged extensively.    

This crash illustrates the general vulnerability of motorcyclists in crashes, as well as issues with wearing novelty or non-compliant motorcycle helmets.  Riding in groups, motorcycle operator endorsements and experience, in addition to timing of toxicology reports and how roadway issues may affect motorcyclists are discussed.

The entire report is available at:

http://www.vcu.edu/cppweb/tstc/pdfs/Report%20210.pdf

Lori G. Rice, Ph.D.

Team Leader & Psychologist

Virginia Multi-disciplinary Crash Investigation Team

Transportation Safety Training Center

Virginia Commonwealth University

Phone: 804-828-1031

Fax:      804-828-1848  

__._,_.___
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:49:18 PM by VaEagle »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Double bike fatality report - interesting read
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »

Interesting reading on a tragedy. Too bad that there's several factual errors in the report and damned if I can figure how they reached the conclusion that the state should "strengthen the Virginia statutes on motorcycle helmet requirements."

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:56:51 PM »

The roadway diagram at the beginning of the report does not jive with the report narrative, leading me to believe at first that the motorcycles are mislabeled in the diagram.  Then I read on and the pictures of the motorcycles are mislabeled as well, so it is really difficult to ascertain who did what. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »

Yep...they mislabeled the bikes in both the diagram and pictures...the narrative is correct.  You can see the RK laying in the ditch on the outside of the curve.

My WAG would be the Duce driver was indeed looking at the line of bikes passing in the opposite direction while he was in the straight leading into the curve and likely did just as the report suggests...drove in the direction he was looking..."target fixation".  He may have been giving the "bikers wave" by holding his left arm out and down as well.  This would have compounded his problem in maintaining a safe apex into a right hand curve. 

I often find it better to just not wave to other bikers when in curves for fear of drifting but still end up doing it anyway.  This report will make me think about it more seriously.

Too tragic...RIP brothers.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »

A few years back, while attending the Sturgis Rally I read in one of the local newspapers (may have been Rapid City) that there are more injuries and deaths in that region caused from bikes going in opposite directions and tangling handlebars, than from any other type of accident. 

As many years as I've been riding, that article hit home for me.  Now, anytime I'm at or near a big rally I stay clear of the center line.  Ya just never know when the guy coming from the other way has tipped one to many, or just snorted something or whatever.  You just never know. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »

Bad accident! Very detailed report.

Bad chit happens, sorry to hear about this.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »

A few years back, while attending the Sturgis Rally I read in one of the local newspapers (may have been Rapid City) that there are more injuries and deaths in that region caused from bikes going in opposite directions and tangling handlebars, than from any other type of accident. 

As many years as I've been riding, that article hit home for me.  Now, anytime I'm at or near a big rally I stay clear of the center line.  Ya just never know when the guy coming from the other way has tipped one to many, or just snorted something or whatever.  You just never know. :nixweiss:

I've been to Sturgis 15 times...  Over the years, as the crowds increased, the numbers of obviously novice riders dramatically increased.  The scariest part of riding during the rally is going thru the Boulder Canyon and Spearfish Canyon twisties in heavy oncoming traffic.  White knuckle riders that have no business being there coming towards you on the wrong side of the yelllow line...  Scary chit...  It is the leading reason I have chosen not to go to the rally the past two years.  I've seen to many accidents and had to many close calls not of my doing...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Ultra2010

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »

A tragic accident for sure.  I totally agree about Sturgis, I stay away form the line also.  I also avoid the "hottest" area rides as I have done them years before.  I also get off the road around 5pm, get cleaned up, THEN I tip a few (few too many sometimes) but the bike is parked for the day.  Seen too many avoidable and dumb things.  Stay in Rapid to avoid the bulk if the show offs, rookies, and drunks.  They are everywhere but fewer in Rapid than Sturgis or Spearfish.   

I just hate when the "anti-motorcycle", pro-helmet folks jump all over each and every accident and try to take advantage of a tradegy for their agenda.
Makes me sick.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.