Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life of original rear tire??  (Read 1542 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Life of original rear tire??
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:05 AM »

Have been wondering what sort of life to expect out of the rear 200mm tire?  Had a guy or 2 the other day say that factory tires tend to only last about 5,000 to 6,000 miles because they are made out of softer rubber so that the original owner can spend more time riding the bike and enjoying the bike versus in a side-slide.  I am expecting to get around 12,000 miles out of this rear tire and probably 36,000 from the front tire.  Anybody care to comment one way or another here?  I personally find it a bit hard to swallow about the factory putting a softer tire (same numbers that you would buy later on).  Or is the factory code not available later on??  REady and willing to listen.........

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Life of original rear tire??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:47 AM »

Well, you've got it partially right......the new tires have a harder center tread "so the rider can get more miles out of it" and a softer side compound for better traction in the curves.

Yes, you can get 12-13k on the tire but I'm not sure about 36k on the front......the wife didn't get that. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »

I always found a good rule of thumb is: 2 rear tires for every front tire.

I think 36k on a front is pushing it.  :o
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »

Well I ran my front tire 21,000 miles and I still had thread but when I changed it out WHAT a Difference it made in front handling and smooth highway driving. You don't realize these things until you actually experience them. Rear tire is a constant 12,000 to 14,000 change out. If I carry a passanger that milage is reduced.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:47:06 AM »

Two rears to one front, don't push it... Your life is worth more than a $200 front tire!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »

Two rears to one front, don't push it... Your life is worth more than a $200 front tire!

Mounted, balanced, out the door....just went from $199 up to $220 at Eagles Nest HD.  Cheapest I've found them.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »

Got 13,000 on my rear time right now,  Hope to get maybe 1500 more before I get the new one.  As for the front.  HD replaced it at 9000 because of cupping.  So not sure how many miles the front is good for.  With the softer rubber on these bikes,  I don't much believe we will get 2 for 1 anymore. 
Just my thoughts.
Jimmy

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »

Hey Porky, 

Didn't you take delivery of the Softail Convertible on Friday the 13th?   :nervous:    :pumpkin:  :nervous:   I would not be taking any chances.   :nervous:   :nervous:  Murphy raises a good point.  Probably should not push the mileage nor time.  I note that Dunlop warrants the tires for six years (with a multitude of exceptions, mostly relating to wear).  Most of us use up the tires faster than that but even if you don't the tire breaks down (most get hard and thus loose traction) over time. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »

I agree you won't believe the difference new tires make.  Milage will vary if you over inflate or under inflate and over load the bike as well.  I have seen guys eat up a rear tire in 5000 miles by not check it.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 06:34:59 PM »

Hey Porky, 

Didn't you take delivery of the Softail Convertible on Friday the 13th?   :nervous:    :pumpkin:  :nervous:   I would not be taking any chances.   :nervous:   :nervous:  Murphy raises a good point.  Probably should not push the mileage nor time.  I note that Dunlop warrants the tires for six years (with a multitude of exceptions, mostly relating to wear).  Most of us use up the tires faster than that but even if you don't the tire breaks down (most get hard and thus loose traction) over time. 
Well, I may have bought it on Friday the 13th but I'm not superstitious, so it was just another day.  I got a good 12,000 miles average for the rear tire on my 05 Heritage having ridden it for 57,000 since new.  I know I got somewhere around 33,000 on the front so was near the end when I traded it in.  Just was wondering what effect this extra 2" width will have on the wear of tire. 

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:35 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

On the 09 and10's the front and rear tirs are suppose to last about 15000 miles each.  But some of us (me included) have gotten about 12000 on both.  The two for one is no more on the new models.''

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.