Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Assistance on Bike-to-Bike Communication  (Read 3764 times)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
Need Assistance on Bike-to-Bike Communication
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »

I am taking delivery on a FLHXSE and my wife rides a Road King.  We are in the market for a good bike-to-bike communication set up but I'm confused with all the information out there.  I need something that can give me quality bike-to-bike comms as well as the ability for me to hear the stereo in my ear.  Can some of you help me sift through all the options out there?  :confused5:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Need Assistance on Bike-to-Bike Communication
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »

www.cardowireless.com

You can talk rider/passenger and to one other bike.  Do not have one yet but that's what I am leaning to.   A golf cart business in Pittsburg has an Ebay store and the user name is "sexylittleprincess"  that has good pricing.  They have always answered questions promptly thru the Ebay message process.  Good luck.

I believe Midland makes the Scala units and they make a Midland BT-3..  

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:45 PM »

Been using the Cardo for over a year and thousands of miles - works great. But - I do not have the MP3 version, and I have my doubts about the music quality with the size of the speakers. Voice quality is excellent though.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:46:51 PM »

My wife and I use the Collette Platinum Plus with Bluetooth. Works great. Input for iPod and capability for bluetooth phone or other device. I did upgrade the speakers in the helmet to J&M speakers. Sounds much better!

http://www.collett.mb.ca/

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:38 PM »

If one does not have B2B communications, why wouldn't you use J&M's unit with the CB band? Using a CB (Citizens Band) radio you can talk to multiple bikes on the same channel. Just thinking out loud here... but that's already gotten me into trouble today.  ;D

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »

I have been using the Cardo Bluetooth intercom system for almost 2 years now, great unit, Get the one with the extra length mic's, they are easier to position in center of your mouth. We talk clear and clean @ 75mph, no problems. Helmet Shop in Daytona has them, cheap, they will install for free if you are in the store and excellent on warranty problems.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:11:18 PM »

If you go to this website:  IMC Motorcycle Headsets you'll see their BTS-300 Bluetooth headset that they claim has a 500 yard bike-to-bike capability...these also let you listen to your MP3s, GPS, and send and receive calls on your bluetooth capable cellphone.  They're a little pricey, but I've heard good things about them.  I'm going to get a set of the BTS-200 headsets for half shell (or no helmet) use.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:19:01 AM »

I just got the team set (cardio ) for Mel and I. I was trying to figure out if I could hook the Iphone and my 660 up with just the bluetooth and couldnt figure it out. I can connect the headset to the phone and the headset to the 660 but not all together. If I connect the phone to the 660 and then hard wire the 660 to the headset is works great ( at least in the shop ) any ideas ? :nixweiss:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:34:32 AM »

I've been using the Nolan Ncom system. Plus side is a very nice helmet with quality electronics. Can do dual bluetooth with A2DP stereo. Negative side is it is pricey. With two nolan helmets, the bluetooth wireless intercom will do bike-to-bike if you are close, or a 5 watt GMRS radio works very good. I'm sure there are other good products out there. I tried the Nady deal and found it cheap and not reliable. Just my experience.
http://ncom.nolan.it/en/n-com/index.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:04:05 AM by tompen »

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »

I've been using the Nolan Ncom system. Plus side is a very nice helmet with quality electronics. Can do dual bluetooh with A2DP stereo. Negative side is it is pricey. With two nolan helmets, the bluetooth wireless intercom will do bike-to-bike if you are close, or a 5 watt GMRS radio works very good. I'm sure there are other good products out there. I tried the Nady deal and found it cheap and not reliable. Just my experience.

Sounds like a good set-up.  I'll look into it-MKW
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »

I just got the team set (cardio ) for Mel and I. I was trying to figure out if I could hook the Iphone and my 660 up with just the bluetooth and couldnt figure it out. I can connect the headset to the phone and the headset to the 660 but not all together. If I connect the phone to the 660 and then hard wire the 660 to the headset is works great ( at least in the shop ) any ideas ? :nixweiss:

Rick,
The 660 has A2DP Bluetooth capability.  Meaning when you go in to the bluetooth device section to pair your bluetooth devices to the 660, you'll pair the headset using the "media" button and the iPhone to the "phone" button.  This allows you only to use the iPhone with your headset through the 660. (it doesn't support two headsets). Also you'll be able to listen to music from the 660 through your headset.  I don't know how the cardio system totally works, but you should also still have the intercom function between you and Mel, she just can't share what you're hearing on the 660 or use the iPhone.
Hope this all makes some sort of sense.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »

Rick

I think the unit you want is the Cardo Q2, not the  team set. The Q2 is an upgrade.
Although I don't know if it will do what you are trying.

One way to pair the Q2 is to pair your phone to the GPS and then the GPS to the Cardo. This will allow your GPS to function as a caller ID and phone book. Otherwise you would pair the the phone to the Cardo and the GPS to the Cardo (as well as to up to two other Cardo Q2's).
The Cardo has a priority feature, which I believe is phone, GPS, intercom.

Q2 Multi set
http://www.cardowireless.com/MultiSet
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »

Thanks for the heads up guys. I dont know why it didnt link when I first tried it but its fine now. I paired my 660 to my iphone and the headset. everything works great ! The team set allows for me to pipe mel in on the call if I choose. It also drops my address book on the 660. I think the only draw back is bike to bike communication which the q2 will let you do.  :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:49:43 AM »

I've been using the Nolan Ncom system. Plus side is a very nice helmet with quality electronics. Can do dual bluetooh with A2DP stereo. Negative side is it is pricey. With two nolan helmets, the bluetooth wireless intercom will do bike-to-bike if you are close, or a 5 watt GMRS radio works very good. I'm sure there are other good products out there. I tried the Nady deal and found it cheap and not reliable. Just my experience.

It's the system that Terrie and I use.  I know there are several other couples on this forum here in Nor Cal that use the same system.  Looking forward to the day when we can all synch to each other and have a four or six way conversation. :2vrolijk_21:  In the mean time, it's nice that we can just talke bike to bike......especially on our long rides.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.