Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running E30 ethanol in a SE110  (Read 557 times)

Rambo4

Running E30 ethanol in a SE110
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »

I've been running 3.5 gals of 92 NON-oxygenated, and 1.5 gals of E85 in my SE110. No problems whatsoever. Reason for running E30 mix is 110 octane in $6.27 in the area I live in. E85 is 105 octane, mix with 92 to get an E30 mixture so you still end out with 99 octane and still save $2 a tank full. Didn't have to mess with the map since it's only 30% ethanol. I've accidentally on purpose ran a 50% mix and still had no hiccups. I purchased a 50mm intake and the 10.5 compression pistons to be installed as a winter project, so it'll be interesting to see the inside of the engine after running 110 octane, 92 non-oxy, as well as E85. Apparently a gentleman ran straight E85 in an '05 FL but it took an HD dealer 12+ hrs to dial in the map. Plus I wouldn't run straight E85 in my ride, because E30 is at the apex of power and milage before the benefits are nixed. Also you might have a question if this is legal. Oh yeah! Since the 07's don't have Pollution Control on them, there's no Catyllitic Coverter to circumvent which is what the current administration is worried about breaking the law. Actually it's against the law in my book to pay more for fuel than I have to.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Running E30 ethanol in a SE110
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »

I've been running 3.5 gals of 92 NON-oxygenated, and 1.5 gals of E85 in my SE110. No problems whatsoever. Reason for running E30 mix is 110 octane in $6.27 in the area I live in. E85 is 105 octane, mix with 92 to get an E30 mixture so you still end out with 99 octane and still save $2 a tank full. Didn't have to mess with the map since it's only 30% ethanol. I've accidentally on purpose ran a 50% mix and still had no hiccups. I purchased a 50mm intake and the 10.5 compression pistons to be installed as a winter project, so it'll be interesting to see the inside of the engine after running 110 octane, 92 non-oxy, as well as E85. Apparently a gentleman ran straight E85 in an '05 FL but it took an HD dealer 12+ hrs to dial in the map. Plus I wouldn't run straight E85 in my ride, because E30 is at the apex of power and milage before the benefits are nixed. Also you might have a question if this is legal. Oh yeah! Since the 07's don't have Pollution Control on them, there's no Catyllitic Coverter to circumvent which is what the current administration is worried about breaking the law. Actually it's against the law in my book to pay more for fuel than I have to.

Sorry Rambo, but that statement is totally wrong.  What makes you think there isn't any "pollution control" on 2007 models?  Motorcycles have been subject to emissions regulations for decades now, and '07 saw the advent of O2 sensors on your Harley to help them meet ever more stringent standards.  As for the catalytic converter/breaking the law statement, I have to ask where you came up with that.  A catalytic converter is only one part of the "emission control" system, tampering with any part of the system is against the law, not just messing with the cat.  And btw, don't look too close but the CVO's have had cat's for several years as well, current models in the headpipe and previous models in the mufflers.

Run alcohol without retuning if you want, but don't fool yourself into believing this is such a great idea for performance (or longevity).  There is a huge difference in actual energy content between gasoline and alcohol, and the oxygen content in alcohol (that's why they use it as an "oxygenating" agent in oxygenated gasoline btw) makes a big difference in AFR's required for proper operation and power.  Running the stock 14.7:1 AFR while using 30-50% alcohol will result in a lean condition that the sensor's and ECM can't compensate for completely.  Manufacturer's are required to make their systems work with a maximum of 10% alcohol by law, but only special "flex fuel" vehicles are designed to work PROPERLY with higher percentages.  And don't forget, alcohol is corrosive and the higher the concentration the more corrosive it can be.  The fuel system parts aren't necessarily designed to work with higher concentrations than the current law decree's, since that would cost more.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.