Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Extreme engine/oil heat after 10 min stop-go  (Read 3780 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Extreme engine/oil heat after 10 min stop-go
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 04:36:52 PM »

This is why I use the Big Sky Fan Kit. I can sit in traffic all day and not overheat. http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/

Not convinced you can sit in traffic all day without overheating, just cause there are fans on the OC. The OC only cools a small portion of the oil at any given time. isling in bad traffic will add more heat than you can remove. I'll bet that's the case with fans on the OC too, albeit maybe cooler than withouit. But these things ain't the end all to sitting idling in traffic all day! Not doing that is the ONLY way to cure that problem! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »

Two years in a row in Sturgis going thru town I overheated. Had to pull over and wait for the bike to cool. Ever since I put the fans on, my temp has never gone any higher then 215F. I went to Sturgis and Laughlin this year. Walking the bike thru town the temp stayed at 215F. No other mods have been made so in my case anyway the fans did the job.
Koobs ( Granted saying all day is a exaggeration and I apologise for that. However I haven't overheated sitting in traffic since putting the fans on.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:54:26 PM by koobs »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »

Two years in a row in Sturgis going thru town I overheated. Had to pull over and wait for the bike to cool. Ever since I put the fans on, my temp has never gone any higher then 215F. I went to Sturgis and Laughlin this year. Walking the bike thru town the temp stayed at 215F. No other mods have been made so in my case anyway the fans did the job.
Koobs

That's great to hear. I'm a lil skeptical of all them add-on thingies. But you can't argue with first-hand experience I guess! ;)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 04:55:52 PM »

Granted saying all day is a exaggeration and I apologise for that. However I haven't overheated sitting in traffic since putting the fans on.
Koobs

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »

Not convinced you can sit in traffic all day without overheating, just cause there are fans on the OC. The OC only cools a small portion of the oil at any given time. isling in bad traffic will add more heat than you can remove. I'll bet that's the case with fans on the OC too, albeit maybe cooler than withouit. But these things ain't the end all to sitting idling in traffic all day! Not doing that is the ONLY way to cure that problem! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;)

I've been playing with the fans also, I would like my oil temps to be about 220-230.
Haven't figured out when to turn them on/off yet! Jury is still out for me. IF they work as advertised, they will go on my other bikes.
I have to admit, the follow up from Milan is outstanding! See his email below.

Hi Mike
I'm curious at what temp are you turning the fans on. I have found that the earlier the better. If for example you turn them on at 200F then the temp should stay at that temp. If however you don’t turn them on till 250F then it shouldn't get any hotter but it will not go down either. Let me know what you find out. ( I can only dream of 80 degree temps this time of the year. )
Thanks Milan
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.