Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone changed their handlebars?  (Read 924 times)

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce ! My Wife's !
Anyone changed their handlebars?
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »

Looking at changing my bars maybe to the Klock Werks Ergo Back or the FBI (Fatt Baggers) bagger bars. Are any of you using either of these or know someone who is? any comments good or bad!

Rambo4

Re: Anyone changed their handlebars?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »

Yeah I never ran the stock bars on my 07 Road King. I installed a set of buffalo bars 1 1/2" and after putting 45k on the bars an HD tech suggested poly bushings for under the triple tree. As soon as the top clamp came off, the bars were cracked in 3 places between the knurling. The switch was expensive ($750) the first and second time because of the cruise and other wires in the bars. Not trying to scare you away from a good set of apes, but it's crucial to have the polyurythane bushings installed right off the bat, and of the utmost importance to decide on the RIGHT sized bars before you do the install. There's a site out on the net dedicated to the installation, laws and rights of the apehanger affecionados and other related topics. I still kick myself for not going with 18's instead of 16's. Hope this helps, Apes Forever!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »

Yeah I never ran the stock bars on my 07 Road King. I installed a set of buffalo bars 1 1/2" and after putting 45k on the bars an HD tech suggested poly bushings for under the triple tree. As soon as the top clamp came off, the bars were cracked in 3 places between the knurling. The switch was expensive ($750) the first and second time because of the cruise and other wires in the bars. Not trying to scare you away from a good set of apes, but it's crucial to have the polyurythane bushings installed right off the bat, and of the utmost importance to decide on the RIGHT sized bars before you do the install. There's a site out on the net dedicated to the installation, laws and rights of the apehanger affecionados and other related topics. I still kick myself for not going with 18's instead of 16's. Hope this helps, Apes Forever!

Were your bars reduced to standard 1" at the riser location, or 1-1/4" like stock? Either way, it's reduced at the riser if your bars are 1.5". Did you replace the stock SERK riser clamp with a 1-piece clamp. That's necessary when using bars with reduced size at the riser clamp. Stock has 1.25" bars all the way thru, 1.25" risers, with 2 piece riser clamps. That would explain why your bars broke. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:15:57 AM »

Not using either - went with the Khromeworks +2 Sweepers on both mySEEG and my RK.  Very nice bars and very affordable ($65).  I did go with one piece clamps on both to eliminate the "worry" of possibly breaking the handlebars.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:15:29 AM »

Use the search feature.....there's all kinds of threads about bar changes. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

HELIBARS
someday- today-will be the good old days

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.