Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vibration due to bad motor mount?  (Read 7583 times)

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Vibration due to bad motor mount?
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »

Had a vibration start this weekend. Feel it in my feet and butt, through the seat.  It is there in every gear, all speeds.  Dealer says bad motor mount.  On back order for at least a week.  Opinions appreciated.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: Vibration due to bad motor mount?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »

Get it replaced in a week, I have had motor mounts go bad......I still rode the bike.

IMO, no big deal.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »

Thanks Dick.  After reading about cranks going bad I was a little worried.  Bike has been a dream so far.
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:47 PM »

I wouldn't recommend a cross country trip, but around town for a week shouldn't be a big deal.

And I'll say it just because....don't go romping on it.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »

Had a bad vibration on the 09, they replaced heim joints and motor mounts and still had the vibration, turned out to be the alignment of the motormount.   I had the same concerns you did about it being the crank.   Although my vibration was really bad from 2600 - 3500.

When they finally fixed it they unhooked the motor mounts and let the motor settle after reving it up a little bit, since then it has been smooth.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »

Had a bad vibration on the 09, they replaced heim joints and motor mounts and still had the vibration, turned out to be the alignment of the motormount.   I had the same concerns you did about it being the crank.   Although my vibration was really bad from 2600 - 3500.

When they finally fixed it they unhooked the motor mounts and let the motor settle after reving it up a little bit, since then it has been smooth.

Thanks for the information.  Mounts should be in this week. Will re-post after repair.
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »

You must be referring to one of your older 3 point rubber glides. Preloaded mounts were not uncommon on those machines. When a rubber mount is preloaded, its capacity to absorb energy is reduced, transferring more powertrain vibration through to the chassis.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »

Dropped it off this afternoon for mount replacement.  Tech told me they install them a little loose and then test ride before torquing.  Then test ride again.  Will pick up Wednesday afternoon and give my feedback.  Whatever that's worth.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »

Dropped it off this afternoon for mount replacement.  Tech told me they install them a little loose and then test ride before torquing.  Then test ride again.  Will pick up Wednesday afternoon and give my feedback.  Whatever that's worth.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I see that there is a sleeve designed to limit the travel in the front mount of the ’09 and later machines. It appears that if the sleeve is not properly positioned in the mount it may engage the mount too early, transferring powertrain vibration through to the chassis.

I’m glad I didn’t assume that Unbalanced was referring to the wrong year machine….whew.  ;D

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »

yes Djakk there is an alignment and many of the setups are off and not straight.  Although they loosened all mine it didnt fix the issue until they loosened them went for a ride then aligned and reset them.  Just reving the engine and resetting them didnt seem to help.

Glad I didnt have the wrong model too :) haha.    :oops:

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »

Gotta' call this morning.  "Where is the key for your locked lowers?"   :oops:  Had installed a set of PJ's locking covers.  Damn, that key is not on my fob and I forgot to put my "other keys" in my tour pack.  Didn't realize they had to remove the lowers to replace the motor mounts.  Learn something every day.  Hopefully it will be done this afternoon, but if the rain continues i'll just get it Friday.  Have a great Thanksgiving! ;D
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »

Tech installed new mount, went for test ride and then torqued and test ride again.  I have the old CVO back.  Not as smooth as I remembered, but I am being overly critical right now and I am somewhat forgetful and prone to exaggeration. :confused5:  Will take a nice long ride Friday and shake it all out, but no more vibration in my feet and butt like before.  Thanks to those who commented.  Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. :drink:
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »

Motor Mount replacement fixed the vibration.  After two 100+ mile rides I am very satisfied.  Tech at dealer said this is a fairly common problem with the new touring bikes, not just CVOs'.  So if you have a buss/viration in your feet or your butt, have them check that front motor mount.  Again, thanks to everyone for their responses. :2vrolijk_21:
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.