Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for 103"  (Read 2746 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Suggestions for 103"
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »

I have a 2003 SERK with 9,500 miles on it.  I bought it last summer with 4,600 miles on it.  I ride 5-7k per year.  All I've done thus far is add a Ness Big Sucker Stage 1 air kit, a PC III USB and mufflers.  I need to get it dyno'd and the dealer is having a special on all service, upgrades, etc. through March 31st.  I'm not after big performance numbers.  I just want my bike to run as well as possible for as long as possible. 

What mods and/or changes would you recommend I consider making to my bike at this time.  I'm thinking cams, cam chain tensioners, cam plate, oil pump, etc.  Or anything else?

Thanks guys!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Suggestions for 103"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »

You can address a lot of issues without breaking the bank.
I would recomend changing the cams to Woods TW5-6R conversion cams and use the 07up camplate roller chain setup from Harley.
I would mill the heads and just "blueprint" them which is simply a very high quality valve job and chambers milled and CCd. Even a minor cut will get the compression where those cams will be very happy on that 103. Get a good pipe, if you don't already have one, even the stock head pipes cleaned at the junction and V&H slip-ons will work well, and a good tune (PC tuning center, map advanced with timing mods if needed) and you are on the road. I would not hesitate to predict 110/110 from this build but more importantly 100TQ by 2,400 rpm and a flat or camel hump torque curve from there to 4,500. Lots of fun to ride

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:55:14 PM »

Dewey,

When you say the "07up camplate roller chain setup" are you referring to the HD hydraulic cam chain tensioner?  And wouldn't replacing the oil pump be wise?  And of course the pushrods will have to replaced, correct?

If I do what you have described, including the head milling, what can I expect for a cost?

Thanks.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »

Dewey,

When you say the "07up camplate roller chain setup" are you referring to the HD hydraulic cam chain tensioner?  And wouldn't replacing the oil pump be wise?  And of course the pushrods will have to replaced, correct?

If I do what you have described, including the head milling, what can I expect for a cost?

Thanks.

Like This DakotaZeb,
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773018&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302319517&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302319517&bmUID=1265829444481&bmLocale=en_US
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »

If you just looking for some bolt in upgrades you may want to search for Zippers 575 or Freedom FCC14 cams. I would suggest gear drive or the new cam plate setup, Fueling Oil Pump, Lifters, and adjustable push rods. You can take a look at my signature and see the specific items (brand) that I used when I did this upgrade. IMO it was well worth the HP/TQ for the $$

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »

I'll second Fired00d's suggestion.  I went with the Zippers and the rest.  Great power and reliable as heck.  Did my own work and spent right around 1K for parts.
114TQ / 100HP

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »

If you just looking for some bolt in upgrades you may want to search for Zippers 575 or Freedom FCC14 cams. I would suggest gear drive or the new cam plate setup, Fueling Oil Pump, Lifters, and adjustable push rods. You can take a look at my signature and see the specific items (brand) that I used when I did this upgrade. IMO it was well worth the HP/TQ for the $$

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Will the stock springs perform correctly using a grind with a .575 lift ?
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »

Will the stock springs perform correctly using a grind with a .575 lift ?
Yes sir. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »

Stock compression is 8.8/1. Corrected compression for the 40° ABDC close cam is 8.1/1 162 CCP PSI with the stock head gasket. I rework these heads often and they are sleepers, 98cc. They work real well and the benefit that is often scorned is in fact the open chamber because the valves are not schrouded and low lift flows rock, plus the ports are similar to the old EVO performance head or SE performance head and with a little massaging they work real well. Granted it will run better than the stocker, SE253 is a dog in my book, but still it needs another point of compression to be optimized. That's the math. If Dick is still at Zippers he would tell you the same thing as would Ron Dickey another guy that is as sharp as a nail.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:41:57 PM »

I would mill the heads and just "blueprint" them which is simply a very high quality valve job and chambers milled and CCd. Even a minor cut will get the compression where those cams will be very happy on that 103.

Dewey,

If I didn't mill the heads and did the HD Hydraulic Cam kit and the Woods TW5-6 cams what could I expect?  Just trying to save a few bucks.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:03:03 PM »

Really same holds true. Remember the 103" Police (same as the new 103" ultra limited) from 07up uses a stock 96" head. The CCs on those heads are 86cc nominal and it uses a stock 96" cam. Those two changes make the bike a totally different animal the differance being heads that are 12cc less and a cam with a 10 degree earlier close. A lot happier motor stock once the pipes are fixed and it is tuned.
So the Woods cam is about 100 dollars more plus the conversion hardware, not cheap by any means and there is only 3° differance in intake close plus closer LSA. It would have more off idle punch then the Zippers grind but clearly 20lbs short of cranking compression to work much better.
If funds are tight
Mill the heads only no headwork and use the Zippers cam, chain drive with old style tensioners, plus a tune.
IIRC the first .010 drops a CC and then the second .007 another CC. It get progressively less  as you move down.
I prefer Smiths pushrods, .095" chrome moly tapered.
Stock lifters, and oil pump are all fine.
Use a Cometic .030 head gasket
Raising the compression to 9.5/1 will be conservative and you will need to drop about 10cc (88cc) to get there.
Piston to valve clearance needs to be checked after the cut with your new cam in place.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »

Dewey,

Thanks.

I believe the part # of the Wood's DUAL roller link set-up is RCC-1, and comes with a late style pump. S&S pushrods are our choice here.
Cylinder head work cost varies, but if you have a set that is trucking along at 275 @ 28" that'll get-r-done!!!!!!! But good.
Scott

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »

Dewey,

If I didn't mill the heads and did the HD Hydraulic Cam kit and the Woods TW5-6 cams what could I expect?  Just trying to save a few bucks.

Without milling the heads, you can use a 4* advance gear to kick the ccp up to help things along.
Also Hemrick Performance, now has an adjustable cam gear that allow you to swing plus or minus 10* of cam timing.
Slick set-up. :)
Scott

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »

Yes this is all OEM Harley parts from 07up TC

Rough numbers
Conversion cam and roller chain conversion parts including new oil pump ~600
Pushrods $155
Gaskets $80
Mill heads & CC $75
Reuse lifters

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.