Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Into 1st  (Read 3517 times)

cuttinhorse

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Copper Head Road Qween
Re: Into 1st
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

I think  that is how most of us start our bikes, and it does not prevent the clunk.

I'm not so sure "most" start their bike with clutch in, then put it into gear. Maybe I'm wrong.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »

I'm not so sure "most" start their bike with clutch in, then put it into gear. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think you're wrong.  My observation over the years is that most folks start their bikes the same way I do, in neutral without touching the clutch.  I guess if you don't have faith in the neutral light, or any clutch/neutral starter interlock, it would be a good idea to disengage the clutch, just in case.  I must be a trusting soul.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »

I guess you just hang out with a different crowd than I do. Everyone I know and observe pulls in their clutch too. Those that don't, sooner or later have their bike lurch forward on them 'cuz it was actually in gear.

Some newer bikes (Hondas) will not even start unless the clutch is pulled in, underscoring at least the company's concern for safety, liability, etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:59:31 AM by Air-Cooled »

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »

I don't think you're wrong.  My observation over the years is that most folks start their bikes the same way I do, in neutral without touching the clutch.  I guess if you don't have faith in the neutral light, or any clutch/neutral starter interlock, it would be a good idea to disengage the clutch, just in case.  I must be a trusting soul.

Jerry

I got used to starting in neutral with my 1955 Panhead and then on my 1974 FX (FXE had electric start), my 1965 panhead was the greatest !!! Electric
starter, but I just started it in neutral without touching the clutch like I had been doing on the non-electric start Harleys.

:pineapple:
Richard
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:05:35 PM by rbaker »

gil7247

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »

I had the same issue with my 08. I went to redline in the primary and tranny which helped alot. What really made a big difference though is a thurough bleeding of the clutch. I say thurough because I had thought mine was good, until one evening (and I don't recommend this) after some very spirited riding and some snappy upshifts. I found my clutch dragging badly, almost non existant. I re-bled the clutch and a major ammount of air came out that had been obvious trapped until I really spanked her. After that my clutch is 300% better and my first gear shifts and finding neutral is night and day different then before.  GIL
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 26 queries.