Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advise on trip to Texas  (Read 941 times)

ut01038

Advise on trip to Texas
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:47 AM »

Hi all,

We are thinking about going to Texas and maybe Luisiana in a couple of weeks for a ride on a rented Harley and I was wondering if any of you could give us some advise on what we should visit while we are there.

We are going to be two couples and we are looking for visiting nice natural areas, some shopping and we are looking for fancy villages.

I don’t know if any of you could share we us some road trip or maybe tell us what could be a nice trip to meet this area.

We will be there for a couple of weeks (maybe arriving to Dallas on October 16th and leaving on the 30th)

Any advised on riding gear, typical food, etc. will be useful.

If you could tell us a good place to rent the bikes (we are HOG menbers) will be appreciate

Many thanks for all your help.

I will be posting this in other Harley forums that I usually visit, so probably you will read me again ;-)

My email carlos.fueyo@terra.es

abearsfan

Re: Advise on trip to Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »

Carlos,

Not sure about renting, I have no exp there.  I do know that the Hill Country has some excellent riding opportunities.  Do a google search for Texas Hill Country rides.  At the local shops, there is plenty of ride information.  Fredericksberg(burg?) is a nice touristy German Town, ask the locals which restaurant is the most authentic.  Most of the smaller towns have nice town squares with the old court house in the middle.  there are a few caverns to see, can't think of any other natural sites.  Towards San Antonio, coming form the North, New Braunfels (sp?) is nice(another German populated area).  Head towards the river(tubing area, signs everywhere) fun place to hang out for the day.  Shiner Texas, home of Shiner Bock beer, is a nice place to visit.  They put on a Bocktober fest with many live bands....a tour of their brewery is possible.

Have fun and enjoy

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »

Ditto on the Texas Hill Country.  Nothing "breathtaking", just good roads with some long sweeping curves in some beautiful country.  I can't remember the route, but we rode from Shreveport, LA to Sulphur Springs, TX last year... stopped at the HD dealer in Tyler, TX.  It was a great ride  :2vrolijk_21:

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »

Carlos,

Rent your bikes from one of the HD dealers in San Antonio.  I like Caliente but there are others as well.  I just know the owner of Caliente is all.

Like has been said there are lots of posts on this board and others about places to ride and eat in the area west of Austin and San Antonio generally referred to as the Texas Hill Country.  Texas is a big place and there are lots of great riding areas in this State not just the Hill Country.  But if I was comming here for the first time I would hit there as part of my trip.

There is a magazine in Texas devoted to places to Ride here. Try this out: http://www.ridetexas.com/

If you hit and or stay or dine in the following towns you will see some great roads and places (in no particular order): Bandera, Kerrville, Utopia, Fredricksburg, Willow City, Llano, Leakey, Camp Wood, Concan, Junction and Luckenbach. In fact after your trip post up and tell me what you thought of your visit to the big city of Luckenbach. It is a Texas "Original".

Have fun and I am sure others will chime in to help make yours a great visit to the Lone Star State.  Hope this helps.  You can PM me on this site and I will be happy to visit more on this topic.
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »

I did this last summer.  Stayed in Austin and rode the Hill Country several times.  Lots of rustic towns and good riding.  Just watch out for the deer. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »

We are thinking about going to Texas and maybe Luisiana in a couple of weeks for a ride.....

Don't waste your time riding Louisiana.. unless you just want to eat some really good food.. our roads suck! Vote for me as Tourist commissioner  ;D

Have fun and stay safe..

RLTW

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »

can't believe I haven't read it here yet,,, but if I was going to Texas,, I'd have to visit The Alamo.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Dracula

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »

Just watch out for the deer. 

Just rode the Sister's last weekend.  Had a great time.  When and if you ride 336, watch for the cattle too!  Sections are open range. Also, the first cattle gaurd you cross heading south from Hwy 41 is a pretty nasty bump.

:vampire:

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »

I have to agree with the San Antonio recommendation.  Lots to see and do there, San Antonio is Texas #1 tourist city.  The Alamo, the Menger Hotel and the Riverwalk are must see.

The best riding in Texas is in the Hill Country, to the west and northwest of San Antonio. Fredricksburg would be a good choice for a "base camp" in the Hill Country.

Texas is known for it's BBQ, and some of the best is around the San Antonio area. Ride to Lockhart the "BBQ Capital of Texas", but really there is good "Q" in just about every town in Texas.  The next most common will probably Tex-Mex food, ask the locals for a recommendation for a good place to eat.  Texans are generally friendly and eager to tell you about Texas.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.