Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about addiing power to the cvo 110's  (Read 2251 times)

leeinmemphis

• Junior CVO Member
Question about addiing power to the cvo 110's
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »

Hey everyone,

I have a '09 CVO Springer that I want to get more power out of it. I know on the standard harleys if you start getting above 100hp range that you really need to split the cases and weld/true the crank(this is what I have done on my dyna when we put a 113 in it) but was wondering if it was really necessary on the cvo's? I'm thinking about doing some mild headwork (Big Boyz Porting) and putting a different cam in it(Bob Woods likely). Would like to get in the 120hp range but definitely don't want to scissor a crank if I can avoid it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Question about addiing power to the cvo 110's
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »

Hey everyone,

I have a '09 CVO Springer that I want to get more power out of it. I know on the standard harleys if you start getting above 100hp range that you really need to split the cases and weld/true the crank(this is what I have done on my dyna when we put a 113 in it) but was wondering if it was really necessary on the cvo's? I'm thinking about doing some mild headwork (Big Boyz Porting) and putting a different cam in it(Bob Woods likely). Would like to get in the 120hp range but definitely don't want to scissor a crank if I can avoid it.
No question... have it trued/welded. I'm thinking you're the type of person if you got the pony's.... you going to call on them :nixweiss:..... save yourself some headache and do it right from the start. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

leeinmemphis

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:24:18 PM »

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. If I split the cases I will probably go ahead and bore the factory jugs out and go with a 113" again. It's only the cost of new pistons and boring plus I'll know that I have a proper/tight fit for the rings.

This year I have built two motors for my current bikes. I put a 103" motor in my '09 Ultra and got just over 103/115 out of it(didn't do the bottom end). Then I am almost to the point of having my '09 Fatbob put back together with a 113" and it has a trued/welded crank, timken conversion and all the needed stuff to hold it together. I originally built it as a 107 but it only got up to 100hp and it was determined that the wrong cam was chosen for the build so it was immediately tore back down to be corrected and while down this time we did the bottom end and went ahead to a 113". So I am going to be selling lots of 107 parts on ebay soon. lol

I was not really planning on buying the springer but it just kinda worked out that way. I had been looking for one for quite some time and just happened up on it while in Daytona last week.  I'm probably going to wait until this fall to do anything with it but I will probably try to find an extra set of heads to go ahead and send them off and then start working on getting the misc. parts together.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »

Sounds like you've been thru the build, tear it back down, rebuild again once already so you know it's better to do it right the first time. Good luck w/your build :2vrolijk_21:... and you really think you are going to be able to wait until next fall to do it? :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

leeinmemphis

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »

Sounds like you've been thru the build, tear it back down, rebuild again once already so you know it's better to do it right the first time. Good luck w/your build :2vrolijk_21:... and you really think you are going to be able to wait until next fall to do it? :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

yeah I've been working on both the bikes since I got back from Sturgis in August. I'm ready to ride and not fool with working on them for a while. It's gonna have to wait until this fall. I try to ride 10-12k a year and I didn't quite get that last year so I gotta make up for it this year. Plus the CVO is under warranty still until next April so I'll probably wait until at least this fall to tear in to it.

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »

I have a set of 110 heads that come off a 07 serk 110 if your interested they need to be reworked

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. If I split the cases I will probably go ahead and bore the factory jugs out and go with a 113" again. It's only the cost of new pistons and boring plus I'll know that I have a proper/tight fit for the rings.

This year I have built two motors for my current bikes. I put a 103" motor in my '09 Ultra and got just over 103/115 out of it(didn't do the bottom end). Then I am almost to the point of having my '09 Fatbob put back together with a 113" and it has a trued/welded crank, timken conversion and all the needed stuff to hold it together. I originally built it as a 107 but it only got up to 100hp and it was determined that the wrong cam was chosen for the build so it was immediately tore back down to be corrected and while down this time we did the bottom end and went ahead to a 113". So I am going to be selling lots of 107 parts on ebay soon. lol

I was not really planning on buying the springer but it just kinda worked out that way. I had been looking for one for quite some time and just happened up on it while in Daytona last week.  I'm probably going to wait until this fall to do anything with it but I will probably try to find an extra set of heads to go ahead and send them off and then start working on getting the misc. parts together.
[/quote]

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »

With a 110", those heads reworked to the proper level(BTW they can run at/near 300 cfm @ 28") and the install of a Wood 9B, 120/120 is a walk in the park.
And IF splitting the cases to attend to potential crank issues, and case boring is considered, then the Axtell Mountain Motor cylinder kits, at 4 1/8" bore is the way to go, as that will yield a swept volume of 117". THOSE engine combinations have historically shown very large hp/torque delivery, from off-idle to until you let go of the loud stick.
Scott

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »

I think the very last thing I would consider doing would be to overbore the stock jugs.  The stock 110 cylinders are marginal at best, as shown by all the issues back in 2007 & 2008.  Do yourself a favor if you plan to go bigger and buy proper cylinders.  Several on the site have used Axtell's with excellent results.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

23, 117's here in the past 36 months.
Outcome is always the same. Big smiles from everyone!!!
Not bragging, just sayin'. :)
Scott

leeinmemphis

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 08:06:11 AM »

Scott,

Have you guys had to do anything with beefing up the clutch?

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.