Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whistling/Rushing Noise 2010 CVO Street Glide  (Read 2874 times)

jimh70458

Whistling/Rushing Noise 2010 CVO Street Glide
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »

I hear the whistle from what appears to be the right side of my 2010 CVO Street Glide. It occurs at between 50 and 70 MPH. It sounds similar to when a car window is very slightly cracked open. I have V&H Power Duals and Rush Slip-ons with 2.25 baffles and can hear it over them. As a troubleshooting step I shut the engine off with the clutch in and then applied each brake and the noise is still present. Given this, I don't believe the noise is the brakes or mechanical.  I searched on whistling noise on this forum and came back with very limited results.  Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Whistling/Rushing Noise 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »

You didn't mount a deer whistle on there and forget, did ya?  spyder.  Can ya lean forward and listen closer to the mirrors....try to isolate the area it's coming from?  If it's a air-flow noise and you can hear it, either your hearing is still too good or your pipes need to be louder.   :huepfenlol2:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jimh70458

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »

You didn't mount a deer whistle on there and forget, did ya?  spyder.  Can ya lean forward and listen closer to the mirrors....try to isolate the area it's coming from?  If it's a air-flow noise and you can hear it, either your hearing is still too good or your pipes need to be louder.   :huepfenlol2:  spyder

My guess is also that is caused by air flow over something on the bike.  I just haven't been able to isolate it as of yet. So far I have pulled the trim ring around the headlight, adjusted the gasket, and re-installed it and checked the torque on about everthing I can get at. I have also put my hand over, in, and around anything I could reach with no results.  My hearing sucks from too much weapons fire and artillery and too little hearing protection over the years so maybe the answer is louder pipes. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »

10-4 on the weapons fire, it must be a louder/lower pitched whistle if you can still hear it with that hearing damage.  It's gonna drive you buggy until you figure it out.  I had a 'chirp' on Ole Granny that no one could find and finally  determined it was the side of the drive belt on the sprocket at certain times and a wrench in Blackfoot Idaho made a jig to align everything to get rid of it.  Simple, but experienced techs from all over ruled out that before.....so, good luck and try louder pipes for now.  spyder  (you have ruled out your helmet, haven't you?)
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »

Do you have leg fairings?  Try it with them open, then closed, also try moving them further out.  Anything else on your bike that didn't come stock on it?  What windshield do you have?

More than likely it's not going to be just the one item but the way the air is flowing over and around a couple different things.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

catz66

• Full CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG, 2010 SESG, 2013 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2016 RGUC RUBY & Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »

Do you still have the stock engine guard? I had a wind whistle noise over both of the rubber pads on top of the engine guard. You can wrap a velco strap around pads to see if the noise stops. If so have your dealer install new pads. I also put a foam filler between the turnsignal mount bracket and the fork to fill the gap just in case it was causing the whistle.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:50:37 PM by catz66 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »

If you think it's a wind whistle, one way to isolate it is to apply tape to areas you suspect could create the whistle.  Use something that doesn't leave a residue and can be torn easily, like that blue painter's tape.  If your tape job eliminates the noise, then you can remove small pieces of tape and test until the noise returns.  The last piece of tape you removed should be where the culprit resides.

Since it seems to be right side, don't forget the air cleaner.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »

You didn't mention if you had the visor headlight trim. You said you re-seated the trim, but have you tried riding without it? A friend has one on his SERK and I can hear the whistle when he rides next to me--and it's the trim ring that is making the noise.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »

Try turning your head to the right and then the left if the noise increases see a Dr. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Honestly wish I could help, chased one like that for about 6 months and it turned out to be a loose spoke, darn near drove me crazy.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »

I often wondered if anyone that had not yet destroyed the high end of their hearing could hear their 'ride-bell' dinging as they rode along.  That damned lucky bell is hanging just as pretty as you please from my destroyed scooter in the pictures that my buddy brought to me.  :-[ ggrrrrr.  spyder

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 25 queries.