Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RLAP Advanced Motor Officer Prep Course write up  (Read 1149 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
RLAP Advanced Motor Officer Prep Course write up
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »

Long but worthy:
I was lucky enough to attend Mark’s (ironhorse) Ride Like A Pro “Police motor school prep course” this Sunday and thought I would report on it. Although designed for the police motor officer candidate the course is open to those whom have taken the preliminary course and have practiced enough to become proficient at it.
I originally took the basic class a year ago , did fairly well but found it difficult to be consistent. So much practice was in order and have now reduced my practice course down from 24’, to 18’-20’ on the Harley, and 16’ – 18’ on the Suzuki.
With this said, I thought the advanced class wouldn’t be too hard. It was. Mostly because it took us all many tries to make it through each individual exercise without blowing some cones, whereas the basic exercises came quite readily. We all used Mark’s Kawasaki police bikes, including mark, as the Harleys would never make it.
Although there were breaks in the class there was very little waiting around, and other than the breaks and instructions, it was pretty much constant riding for 5 hours.
We initially started practicing on the basic course while Mark continually reduced everything down in size from 24’ to 18’. Not too difficult if you’ve’ practiced this before. Then on to some other exercises which again weren’t too difficult, but hard to do consistently and with ease. Then came the Mazes, about 3’ wide, 16’ long and in the shape of a retarded snake. These were slowww, coming to complete stops to change directions at times without droping a foot. To make matters worse, they were eventually lined with tall cones. Fun, but difficult. From there we did 45 degree curb side pull aways (kind of a u turn within 1 lane width from a 45 d. start). On to the 90 degree rear wheel lockup turns which I thought would be easy,  but my instinct to counter steer  consistently screwed me up.
Then down the way a few city streets on the un light, mirrored, or registered Kawi’s (renegade outlaws we were) to practice the mazes on a 35% grade hill (closed course). 2 or 3 passes and the clutch’s were gone requiring coasting the hills downside, engine off, for a cool down. THE BEST: we had to accomplish a “double full lock u-turn” from a dead stop on this 35% grade hill. I wouldn’t have thought this possible and envisioned bikes tumbling down the hill. Keep in mind that this exercise is 2 u turns within a confined space of about 10’ by 20’, from a dead stop, on a steep hill. Quite a feat!
Back to the school where we had our rodeo. Some of the exercises we had practiced were set up as a course and time trials began. Fastest time won.
Unfortunately, I have no pics or videos as there was just no time to take any. Perhaps Mark will post links to some officer’s competitions or especially the hillside u turns.

All in all this was a fantastic experience. None of us wanted it to end and were trying to talk mark into having an extension of this class for us. After 40 years of riding street and dirt, this was one of the most challenging experiences I’ve had on a bike, and this course is just a teaser compared to the official 2 week motor office course. I now have a new found respect for motor officers and Mark’s skills.

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
Re: RLAP Advanced Motor Officer Prep Course write up
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:20:14 PM »

Where is this course located, who is it open to?

Re-read first paragraph for whom it is open to.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:24:00 PM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »

Hey D3, the courses I attended are located in Los Angeles, Ca. and are taught by one of our own members here, Mark (ironhorse).
Courses are also located in Florida, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey and North Carolina.
The inital class is open to anyone with some riding experience. The advanced course requires attendence to the basic course and?( You will have to ask mark) RLAP West coast link  http://www.ridelikeaprowestcoast.com/Home_Page.php 
After seeing my first motor officer competition in person about 6 years ago this went right on my bucket list. It may not float everyones boat but it will improve your riding skills, and for me it's just plain fun  :2vrolijk_21:
If you have any technical questions PM Mark here on the forum or contact him via the link provided. If you want to know any of my personal experiences with the courses feel free to PM me.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:04:22 PM »

D31960,

The course is located in Los Angeles, next to LAX aiport. I started teaching it because I was getting quite a few cops taking the Ride Like A Pro course who were were either preparing for motorschool or had washed out and wanted to brush up prior to going back. The exercises that Roger did are taken from the actual LAPD course. The full lock mazes (both in the lot and on the hill and slope) work on refining clutch, throttle and rear brake control with balance and head and eyes. Since it is on a slope, there is little room for error, and literally no room to put a foot down. The 45 degree curbside pull aways simulate working radar on a congested boulevard, the 90 degree rear wheel lock up exposes the rider to the feel of having a big heavy bike break traction under you and slide, and knowing that you can still maintain control of the bike without having to put feet down. We also did other "fun" things like full lock u-turns with a good lean while going over a speed bump to improve control while crossing obstables, and starting off with the front wheel up against an obstacle that the rider has to manuever around, as well as an evercise called the "W". Like Roger stated the Rodeo was a culmination of these exercises.

While the course is open to everyone, I REALLY need to see a person ride a head of time. It's one of the reasons I prefer they take the basic RLAP course first as it will allow me to see where they are. Most cops who are either prepping for motor school or have washed out know what to expect, but not most civillian riders. I hope I don't sound like I am being discriminating, because I'm not. I'm really concerned about rider safety. Most of the exercises have some kind of risk not usually found in most civillian rider courses. The 90 degree rear wheel lock up is an example. A rider who feels uncomfortable and is tempted to put a foot down while the back end of the bike is sliding around is apt to get injured, or maybe high side and get tossed. A rider who does not have good command and control of the friction zone, rear brake, balance and head and eyes is apt to dump the bike over and tumble down the slope while trying to negotiate double full lock u-turns. Roger, because of his excellent control and feel for the bike was able to do that exercise after a few practice runs, but I can't say the same of some of the other riders. I'm NOT putting the other riders down. not by any means. They all did well, but the course is challenging. Roger, however is one of those rare breeds who enjoys practice and regularly goes out on his own and works the parking lot.

I hope this answers your question.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »

Also, by no means what so ever did I mean to imply that the basic course was was easy or not a necessity. If not for the foundation a techniques learned there would I have never even attempted the advanced course. Besides, the basic course WAS challenging, fun,  and informative. And if any instruction excludes the forementioned, it's not enjoyable. It's just that the complexity of exercises in the advanced course made them more difficult and seemingly unobtainable, which gives me more to work on. I've throughly enjoyed both classes.
Mark's a great teacher, and if you do exactly what he says it's not that difficult. But then again, that's always the challenging part.    Roger

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.