Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help - push rod problem on install  (Read 1459 times)

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
Help - push rod problem on install
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »

Putting engine back together with the SE MCR heads, SE -259E cams and perfect fit push rods for this combination which are -30 under. Started with rear cylinder, had at TDC on compression stroke etc. Started ¼ turn at a time on bolts until snug but not torque yet. But just for grins I feel the push rods and they are so tight no way you can turn them. Something’s not right, not sure what. Either the push rods are not right or I put something together wrong. I took all apart and rechecked put back together same deal.

So just for grins I try a new set of adjustable SE push rods I had. I put them in and the intake side
with push rod installed has very little up and down movement before it hits on something. I have the push rod just in the hole not even adjusted out yet just to test and it has hardly any movement up and down. Rocker arm maybe moves ¼ inch at best before the push rod hits on the hole in head where push rods come through. How much will that be required to lift under normal run conditions? I slapped on the front head and checked and it not as tight but it also hits with maybe 3/8 inch rise before it rubs against hole in head. Maybe I’m being paranoid but if it hits just looking at it what’s it going to do when I fire it up.

So two things why did the perfect fit push rods not fit per say?
Plus how much up and down movement are you suppose to be able to get on intake side rocker arm with push rod in place?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:33:36 PM by hdrider53 »
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

fatboy se

Re: Help - push rod problem on install
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »

You have too allow time for the lifters to bleed down, first back down on all push rods, start with the rear cylinder by lifting rear of bike. put it in 5th gear rotate engine to top dead center on compression stroke(lowest surfice on cam lobe) adjust end play out of exhaust push rod, and depending on thread count(28)tighten 2.8 rounds lock the lock nut and allow time for the lifter to bleed down (When you can twist the push rod) then move to the intake valve do the same wait ,then follow through to the front exhaust valve.

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »

I think I was just tired last night and impatient. Started fresh today put the perfect fit push rods back in.
Waited a good 20 minutes to check for bleed down and spin, no problem worked perfect.
Thanks
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »

Those heads have a .060 lower deck than stock OEM castings. The 1.9 intake valve will cause piston to valve interference with some cams (depends on the TDC lift on overlap). I hope you took that into consideration and at least checked that.

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:34:04 PM »

No I didn't first I have heard of it. I wish maybe someone would have mentioned that earlier
when I explained the build I was doing in the other thread. Oh well its almost together now.
All I can do is hope for the best.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »

If that is now 103" those 79 cc heads will be pushing 10.5/1 assuming stock head gasket and zero deck pistons. Install the compression releases where the plugs are in the heads, they will be needed come summer. Cranking compression will be ~195psi so timing will need to be addressed as well.

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »

Already in did that when before I put the heads on.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »

Got it started all sounds OK. Little rough at idol but still need to install a new base map for the Thundermax auto tune.
Once map is updated and weather warms up here in Colorado I will do a test ride and see if it feels stronger.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.