Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil change  (Read 1354 times)

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
oil change
« on: April 24, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »

I am leaving for florida next week with 850 miles on bike and no chance to put more on so decided to go ahead and change all fluids. When I took the filter off very little oil ran out maybe a 1/4 teaspoon I turned filter up and no more ran out. My other bikes, I usually had a mess to clean up. Has anyone experienced this? First bike with oil cooler and didn't know if that made any difference.
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: oil change
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »

I am leaving for florida next week with 850 miles on bike and no chance to put more on so decided to go ahead and change all fluids. When I took the filter off very little oil ran out maybe a 1/4 teaspoon I turned filter up and no more ran out. My other bikes, I usually had a mess to clean up. Has anyone experienced this? First bike with oil cooler and didn't know if that made any difference.

Did you run the engine and get the oil warm before you changed it?  If you did, that filter should have been full of oil.  Even if the bike had been sitting for months and you just removed the filter without running the engine first, it shouldn't have drained back completely.  What you described is definitely not normal, oil cooler or no oil cooler.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:57:13 PM »

someone on the engine section suggested I run the engine and pull the filter again to check it. I think that is a great idea. will let you know.
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »

I can promise one thing "It aint good"
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »

I just replied in motor section. Loosened the new filter and it was full. I still am puzzled as to what happened but motor seems ok the trip to Florida should tell. Thanks for replying
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »

now have 2 thousand miles on bike and no problem. still puzzled. Did have one problem coming back from florida in a fairly moderate rain. with rain sock on intake. Motor started dying but then picked back up. Don't know if it was moisture or lack of air with sock on. It only happened once. Looked at sock at next stop and it seemed ok. Not sure what was going on. Bike must have been built on Fri.
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.