Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will my Amp work on a Stock Bike?  (Read 1027 times)

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
Will my Amp work on a Stock Bike?
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:34:47 AM »

Just got done installing a Hawg Wired system (four in the face) from Jim HD-DUDE, thanks bythe way, sounds great.

I would like to give my Amp to my buddy that has an 08 Road Glide, might be an 09...Stock bike...Will it work? Will it fit in his fairing?
Unapologetically American!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: Will my Amp work on a Stock Bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:39:44 AM »

I can't recall anyone ever trying to put a full sized H-D amp in the RG fairing.

Very good question. I would love to see pics if anyone had ever done this.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »

Here's a thread with excellent pictures of an Arc 125.4 (four channel) amp installed in an '09 SE RG.  Compare the size of the Arc (specs are on Arc's website) to the dimensions of your OEM HK amp.  The comparison should answer the fitment question.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=47523.0

It will work, but unless your buddy has added a second set of speakers, the amp will work on two channels (the front speakers).  I gave this amp and the wiring harness (from an '07 CVO Ultra) to a buddy with an '06 Ultra.  It was a direct bolt on/plug n play installation and he's very pleased with it.

The amp is fine for the application (provided it fits and your buddy does some wiring mods) since it's the same amp HD sells with their "High Output Sound System," p/n 76418-06A, for all Touring models '06 and newer with a permanently mounted tour pak and 2 or 4 channel speakers.  All your buddy is doing is mounting it inside the fairing.

EDIT:  You are referring to the amp that is OEM on '06 and newer CVO Ultras?

Whether the loss of air flow to cool the amp by locating it inside the fairing will pose problems I have no answer.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:26:51 PM by Harleypingman »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »

Just got done installing a Hawg Wired system (four in the face) from Jim HD-DUDE, thanks bythe way, sounds great.

I would like to give my Amp to my buddy that has an 08 Road Glide, might be an 09...Stock bike...Will it work? Will it fit in his fairing?

Do you have a part # if it is Harley?
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:11:52 AM »

If it is a STOCK H-D amp like the one that comes on an UC. I'm not sure it would fit in the RG FAIRING unless it is an aftermarket smaller amp? I think we need to know what amp you are talking about. :nixweiss:
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:24:23 AM »

It's off an my 07 CVO Black & Orange, can't get to it as it's at the Harley shop in a box, I have to pick up all the old parts next week and I'll post it

Harleypingman pretty much answered it.

Unapologetically American!

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »

If your bud tries to install the amp, hope you get some pics or information.  It's a good amp (especially for a four channel application) and they are often available at very reasonable prices.  It would NOT fit above the HK head unit on my '04 EG without some modification to the vertical fairing brackets or it would be there now instead of under the tour pak on my buddy's '06 Ultra.

Carl

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.