Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm not from Missouri but show me anyhow  (Read 3183 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
I'm not from Missouri but show me anyhow
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:04 PM »

Rock slides, roads closed, and on and on. Well, you can't believe everything you read on the internet so why not go check it out? She says she's going away w/ her sister for a couple of days. What?! How the hell am I gonna eat?! Screw it, a Great Smokey Mountain fix will do wonders for my head and I won't have to cook. What's the weather gonna do in Tenn. / N. Car.? HOT! Perfect. I've got a good friend who is easily persuaded to meet in the mountains and take a little ride - where? - it doesn't matter. Monday morning is chilly in N/E Ohio. Leathers, sweat shirt, heavy gloves and I'm ready to go. All's good heading south. Miss the Columbus rush hour and hit Cincy around lunch time. Holy crap, it's opening day and they're packing them in to watch the reds as I sail though w/o a problem. Not even the police are on the road, it's opening day. Northern Ky. is a breeze and the Road Glide just cruises down I-75 not missing a beat. Damn it's getting hot. I lose the leathers in Lexington and motor south. All's really, really good.
Around Corbin I notice the repaving in the north bound lane. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, longer the other side is stacked up. Dam# those folks aren't moving at all. I watch continue to look across the median and there's kids playing beside their cars, motorcyclists are obviously pisses and suffering in the near record heat. I feel for them and thank God that they're not doing the south bound - note to self - come home another way. Jellico mountain is always a welcome landmark and the 110 doesn't even breathe hard climbing over the top. There's the occasional slow poke in the fast lane but it's nothing a little time and a twist of the wrist doesn't handle. On to Knoxville and it's the beginning of rush hour. A couple of slow downs but nothing serious and soon I'm sitting in Seiverville traffic. And I'm hot. The lowers which were so welcome early in the day are not so much in this stop and go overheated traffic. Good grief will it ever end? Pigeon Forge is only a little better as there is plenty of time to look around and remind myself why I always swear to never go through there. At last Gatlinburg, honeymoon capital of the Smokies and the traffic is somewhat better. Where'd everyone go? I guess many dropped off in Pigeon Forge and other elected to take the bypass. Good. It's getting on in the day so time to find a place to sleep. The first of many hotels is booked. Not a good sign although the lady at the counter says that there's plenty of motels down the road. I get to the Twin Islands Best Western and they've got a perfect room, overlooks a stream, 1st floor and close to vending. And they honor AAA or H.D. discounts. I'm in and after wiping off the road dirt I'm off to the Peddler on River Road for some charred dead cow and a cold cocktail or two. The place has lots of charm and the chef presents various steaks for my to choose from - the rib eye will do nicely and where's that whiskey I ordered. An hour later I'm fully satisfied. A quick little spin into the park and then a little walk downtown to walk off some of dinner and I'm back to the deck to listen to the stream and then quickly fall asleep.
Tuesday promises to be a great day. Going to be hot, nowhere in particular to go and the bike and I are doing great. I mosey into the Great Smokey Mountain National park and immediately notice that traffic is light and that there's no RVs hogging the road and slowing traffic. I turn off the stereo and just dig the magnificence of the park. Quiet meadows, awesome - ancient peaks, rhododendrons everywhere. I so love this place. I pull over frequently and just look and listen. The mountains are coming alive after a tough winter. There's only a hint of the winter damage as only piles of sawdust remain where many, many trees obviously have fallen under winter's onslaught. As expected, as I climb the mountains the temp. drops. At one of the highest overlooks I visit there's still piles of snow melting under the unexpected heat wave. It's cool enough to don my sweatshirt but the leather, such a PITA to pack, remain in the saddle bay and I'm comfortable. Yep, Clingman's Dome road is still closed. No big deal as I just visited it last Sept. But what's a pretty big deal is the couple of miles of USR 441 which are covered w/ fine gravel. It's almost like they are spreading it on the road. I suspect that it's only from the run off that this crap is on the road but it forces me to look for lines to follow and won't allow me to enjoy the scenery. Shortly, on the N.Car. side I encounter two short const. projects but they're simple w/ traffic maintained and nothing to worry about.
Normally in Cherokee I head toward Maggie Valley or cont. south on 441 but today I take 19 to the south west. If follows a stream which, in the summer, is full of rafters and tubers. Not today, The water has to be very cold and schools still in. Still there is virtually no traffic. If I was in a hurry I could make great time but I just lope along taking it all in. My goal is now the closed US 129, the dragon, to see just how closed it is. I get to Rt. 28 and head toward Fontana. I know part of 28 pretty well and it's a 4 lane which is nice but not exceptional. Fontana reservoir is dry in many places. I'm puzzled at this with it being spring and on the heels of a heavy winter and decide that some bright guy somewhere decided it best to empty it. I doubt those w/ houseboats sitting on the hard mud would agree but so it goes. After the dam turn out 28 turns into a snake. I don't remember having to work this hard years ago when I took this stretch. I follow a river for miles and it's one curve after another. In my view the dragon has nothing on this road except this road is flatter than 129 and there's probably a few less ess curves and hairpins.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:24:11 PM by Screamin »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

Re: I'm not from Missouri but show me anyhow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:16 PM »

The Deal's Gap Resort is virtually empty. I chat w/ a middle aged guy on a beemer from Florida who didn't check the internet and he's totally bummed. Several others kind of mull around and secretly I smile that in this age they'd take off w/o doing some basic checking. Yes, 129 is closed. The barricade is out but obviously you can get around them. After my barbecue, fries and soda I go to the store and chat w/ the obviously bored clerks. Yep, closed. Yep, you can get around for a tenth of a mile or so but then it's really barricaded and there's a guy there that won't let you through. Buy a couple of mini dragon stickers and it's time to head out. One of the lesser advertised gems is 129 to the south. Past the bottom of the dam 129 twists it's way south and at Robbinsville I decide to stay on it instead of heading back to 28. Wise choice as this is just some darn fine mountain riding. Nothing threatening here, just smiles. I intersect 74 and head east. Maybe I'll stay in Waynesville tonight, maybe Cherokee, doesn't matter. After a stop at Ghost Town H. D. and a call to SBB I decide to continue east on 74. There will be plenty of places to sleep and it's still warm and perfect for riding. Hopping onto I 40 east it's really weird that there's no traffic with which I have to merge. Oh yeah, 40's still closed a couple of miles back west due to the major slide. It's kind of surreal but again, traffic's light and an interstate w/ no traffic is a blessing. I'm all smiles. Billboards advertise their messages and I set my sights on a Sleep Inn just this side of Asheville. The rate is good, a room's available, my discount is good and I'm in. I'd thought about ordering in a pizza but it's too nice to just stay put. The desk clerk recommends an Italian joint down the road so I head that way. At long light I chat w/ a native on a street glide. Decent chap and it's kind of neat how quickly you can sometimes bond just because you happen to end up next to someone on two wheels. Dinner turns out to be only so so but it was cheap and filling so I can't complain. Just cruising around S/W Asheville until dark makes me feel good. Just last week I was freezing my butt off and now it's shirt sleeves and burning high test. Before turning in I check the Weather Channel. Uh oh. Chit's coming. Crap.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:51:52 PM »

Wednesday morning finds me sleeping like the dead. I'm to meet SBB @ 9:00 and after my second cup of coffee I'm ready to get my crap in order. It's going to be another hot one but it's not warm yet. Sweatshirt and vest and I'll be good to go. Hauling my stuff out to the bike it's like it was caught in a dust storm. I had heard the lady on the weather channel talking about the pollen but wow. Stuff is thick on the bike and all of the cars in the lot. I dust off the seat and windshield and having downed a bagel I head back toward where I'd been yesterday. It's a perfect morning. Sun's up at my back, cool, light traffic and I'm glad to be alive. Even the paving on the inside lane doesn't affect anything and I clear the zone w/ no issues. I'm a little early so I'll top off the tank and then head to the dealer. Chip had said he might be little late I'm in no hurry. Pulling in around 5 'til there's only one bike out front and it's THE SBB Ultra. I should of known. After catching up w/ one another and doing the B.S.ing that we do it's time to hit the road. Our route will take us to Sylva and then south to Cashiers. We traveled this road last year in a hurry when Joan got the call about her mom and so this year we'll take it the other way w/o the stress of an ill parent to hurry home to. SR 107 is a little jewel. Once we clear Sylva it narrows down to two lanes and we're quickly in the country. It's a floorboard scraping road but I don't touch down. Unfortunately we catch a pick up truck going our way in no particular hurry. Despite several slow traffic pull outs he doesn't. If your dealt a lemon, make lemonade right? We enjoy the ride and some of last years memories return. The dam on the right, the lake further on, the little burgs all come back as we meander south. Somewhere between the two construction zones we get around the truck and shortly we pull into Cashiers. Cashiers is an interesting little town w/ obvious signs of money. At the gas station we inquire about a shop Chip's heard of and after a brief search we give it up. BTW, wasn't that barbecue joint around here? I think it's to the right and Chip says left. We go left and for once I was right. Oh well. Turns out that there's a PGR mission down the road 20 miles or so in Brevard that Chip's buddy is doing. We head over to Brevard on 64 and dam if we don't get behind a tractor trailer. 64's another snake. After 5 miles or so of sucking diesel fumes we pull over and let the air clear. We decide it's almost lunch time so we figure to find something along the way or at worst we'll find something in town. Shortly we pull into Brevard and go by the funeral home where the PGR mission is. After only 5 minutes of where do you want to eat, I don't care in rolls Chip's buddy. Wendy's will do today.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »

It's now 1:30 and time for me to head north. I plan to do what I can today to beat the lousy weather that's to roll in that night back in Ohio. A quick check of the map, hitting the "home" button on the Zumo and I'm off toward Asheville on 280. Chip's going to hang w/ his bud and do the PGR mission. 207 turns out to be a straight and fast route to Asheville. Plenty of LEOs though. Asheville's traffic is heavy but moving and shortly I'm on I 26 / US 23 heading for Tennessee. My plan is to get to at least Wytheville, Va. which is about 1/2 way home. You know how sometimes you just get in "the zone" when your motoring? Well I did. N. Car., Tn., Va. I'm cruising. Bike's purring, traffic's good, weather's perfect. Son of a gun, there's the Bluefield tunnel. It's in the mirror now and the Road Glide wants to run. Speed limit 70 which means 80. Passing Princton I wonder how Randy (Otis) is doing? Haven't heard from him in awhile. Next thing I know I'm in Beckley. A quick call to the wife and she checks the radar. Yep, crap is rolling in. Rain and colder. I decide to go for it. After that call the ride changed. Instead of just cruising all of a sudden I have a deadline, I want to beat the front heading toward home. Total focus on the road now. Traffic's a little heavier so my mind isn't at ease like before but instead I'm reading every bump, every car, every truck become something to overcome in my rush to get home. Hitting Ohio the sun's setting rapidly and the temperature's dropping. In Dover it's time to pull out the heavy gloves and leather jacket. It's dark now and Ohio has tons of deer. Rather that press my luck I fall in w/ a couple of four wheelers and let them light / lead the way. Jill, the Zumo b__ch and I disagree on the best path home. She wants to take me through amish country on the two lanes. I opt for the freeway and I'm glad I did. Too many hazards in amish country in the dark, cold and maybe rain. Canton is lit up having recently rebuilt I 77 through town. I hit a bridge expansion joint and quickly wake up. Maybe, just maybe one of these days Ohio will learn how to build a smooth transition. It's good fast interstate to my turn off on I -76. I'm zoned in on home now. I know these roads, the bumps, the LEO hangouts, the fast lanes.
9:15 and I roll into home. Joan's just turned in for the night but comes down to greet me. Damn I missed her. After the kisses and hugs she makes me the biggest ham sandwich ever and pours me a cold one. I luv this woman. Still jazzed from the road I gobble the sandwich and down my drink. A successful trip and I'll sleep late in the morning.
The numbers: 1400 miles in three days. The trip home covered about 550 miles in about 8 hours. The SERG3 performed flawlessly. I got to, briefly, catch up w/ a good friend. And for a little while I got to taste and enjoy the freedom that only we know.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »

And the Dragon was closed.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »

Great story my friend!
It was a pleasure to see you and ride with you again!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »

Well written story...thank you

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »

Great read..................Was if I was right behind ya. :drink:..............................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »

Great ride, sounds like you lucked out in the weather department.

charlie

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »

great read thanks for sharing :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 08:18:17 AM »

Great story  :2vrolijk_21: It makes me want to head out with no destination :pepper:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:26:56 AM »

yeah, love the ride report, that is great.
 :coolblue: :cherry:

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 22 queries.