Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: J+M amp / speaker install gone wrong  (Read 2592 times)

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum a.k.a Jack Sparrow
J+M amp / speaker install gone wrong
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »

Hello,

J+M arrived yesterday so I found a few hours to install.   Hands up I am no electrician, but thought this would have be relatively straight forward so why not have a go?

Speakers went in no problem - tested all OK.   Amp went in and instructions followed - tested and I have no power to the radio and I now have a side stand message on dash display. 

I've checked wiring several times.  Small ground from amp is on radio case and large one near battery is on chassis - all looks ok. 

I'm clearly missing something - would someone have an idea?

Thanks in advance
Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
Re: J+M amp / speaker install gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:49:57 PM »

Confused... you have no power at the radio?... sounds like fuse. 

Are you sure you put both leads back on the negative terminal? (I almost missed the one that was there before the amp lead).

2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

worshipduder

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »

Call AL at Dr VTwin. He has installed a hundred of them. I am sure he can walk you thru what you did wrong

mj

2010 FLXHSE Candy Concord
V&H Power Duals
V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons
TTS Mastertune
Feuling Reaper 574 Camchest Kit
Feuling Oil Pump
Dyno'd at 116 HP & 118 TQ
C&C Flame Stitched Seat
Wild 1 Chubby 575s
PM Contour Touring Mirrors
J&M 7.25 Speakers & 250 Watt Amp
Hogtunes Hogpod
Riders Claw
HD Contoured Heated Hand Grips
Wicked Image Flame Shift Linkage
Klock Werks Flare 8.5
HD Electra-Glo™ Light Pod Kit
Kury License Plate

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:18:10 AM »

DR V Twin came to the rescue and very helpful they were too.  I swapped out the fuses, re-wired once again and nothing.  Power to the amp - no tunes.  Rang back and told me it's certainly the ground.  Found a new location and stand back it's howling tunes in England.

A little frustrating, but only from the standpoint that it's not by bag, other than that the product is great, the service first rate and dare I say it?  Value for money.

Cheers
Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »

Great to hear you got it figured out LD... enjoy making everyone listen to YOUR tunes at red lights!!   :cucumber:
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »

Was the problem the ground attempted to the radio case?  If I remember correctly the cases on those radios are isolated.

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »

Was the problem the ground attempted to the radio case?  If I remember correctly the cases on those radios are isolated.

I grounded mine to the radio case (top left as you are looking at the back of the radio)... works fine?  Do I need to pull it apart and re-ground?
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »

The radio case was fine (for me anyway).  The guys at JM and DRV suggested that the ground wire around the battery needed careful placement mainly through such thick powdercoat.  I managed to get a great ground towards the front of the gas tank. 

They said that some work OK and some do not and cutting back the powdercoat had little affect.

Malajusted - I've been listening to my wife's fav Mowtown and it's sometimes suspect in some areas. Tried ACDC's Back in Black and have a nice little following down the freeway.  Best purchase made so far.

Cheers

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »

Malajusted - I've been listening to my wife's fav Mowtown and it's sometimes suspect in some areas. Tried ACDC's Back in Black and have a nice little following down the freeway.  Best purchase made so far.

Cheers

Nice.. nice! My bike is at the dealer right now getting the matching King Tour Pak (detachable of course) with rear speaker pods installed... pics when I pick it up Wednesday!
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 05:17:10 AM »

:jack:  of my own thread.

I'd like to see a pic of the tour pack on the SR.  I think it looks cool - local dealer says he thinks it looks like an ice cream van. :nixweiss:

It's going outer space here with mod ideas.    Apes or no apes? painted inner or not? driving lights or stick with stock?  what to do with the hideous UK rear end - order a US item or paint here or not? 

I need mods :jalapeno:

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 08:33:50 AM »

:jack:  of my own thread.

I'd like to see a pic of the tour pack on the SR.  I think it looks cool - local dealer says he thinks it looks like an ice cream van. :nixweiss:

It's going outer space here with mod ideas.    Apes or no apes? painted inner or not? driving lights or stick with stock?  what to do with the hideous UK rear end - order a US item or paint here or not? 

I need mods :jalapeno:

Driving lights are a must.... makes the bike more visible for chitbrain cagers on the phone that are aching to take you out!!... plus they light up the night road better and look good!

2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 11:45:20 AM »

Have you done the driving lights yet?  Your bike sounds as though it needs it's own thread :2vrolijk_21:

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »

Yup... I did the driving lights before I even picked it up... you can see them in the thread with the video of my tunes... let me see if I can dig it up...

hold please.......

here it is...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51143.0
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »

You may not believe this, but I am yet to travel in the dark.  I guess a set is inevitable - like the looks of yours - fit well with the space available up front.  Another mod I did not know I needed.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.