Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brake Pad Life on SEUCs?  (Read 1795 times)

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
Brake Pad Life on SEUCs?
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »

I've worn out my front pads with just under 20K miles.  The rears are still okay, but I'm primarily a 'front braker' and normally only use the rears lightly for stops and parking lot speed maneuvers.  Slowing for corners is all fronts.

At any rate, I'm curious as to what the 'normal' life expectancy is for brake pads on the touring bikes.

I know that riding style and conditions affect pad life, but any feedback/ideas appreciated. I'm using Original Equipment pads - I expect that Lyndalls et. al. might have higher life expectancies.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Re: Brake Pad Life on SEUCs?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:45:38 PM »

20k on front brakes is pretty good because if you even touch your rear ones at all they will wear out immediately!! I rarely ever use my rear brakes and it is sooo easy to change front pads out.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »

It will vary quite a bit depending on the style of riding you do.  Lots of agressive riding in the twisties (and I do enjoy that when I can ride there) will certainly contribute to faster wear than long distances on the highway (preferably not the interstate but sometimes have to do that).  Just changed out my front pads when I replaced the front tire - had 58k on the oem pads and still had some wear if I'd wanted to push it.  Changed out the rear to Lyndall pads at about 20k just because I like them better and they are still good.

I always use both brakes - more in the front because that is what stops you when you need to haul it down quickly. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »

You guys ride fast enough to actually use brakes and not drag your feet?      :nixweiss:     :huepfenlol2:

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »

I should have added that I tend to ride pretty aggressively about 40% of the time, so I'm on the front brakes a lot in those occasions.  I just returned from a 6-day 2400 mile trip through NC, TN, VA where I did the Dragon, Hellbender28, BRP, Skyline Drive, and a bunch of other twisty roads.  I think I took a lot out of the front pads in four days of hard riding.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »

I've worn out my front pads with just under 20K miles.  The rears are still okay, but I'm primarily a 'front braker' and normally only use the rears lightly for stops and parking lot speed maneuvers.  Slowing for corners is all fronts.

At any rate, I'm curious as to what the 'normal' life expectancy is for brake pads on the touring bikes.

I know that riding style and conditions affect pad life, but any feedback/ideas appreciated. I'm using Original Equipment pads - I expect that Lyndalls et. al. might have higher life expectancies.

Actually the Lyndall's don't claim to have any advantage over the stock pads in terms of longevity.  They are much better in terms of brake feel and linearity as well as noise, and they don't produce all that black dust that Harley pads tend to leave all over your wheels.  I think I remember reading on the sheet that came with the Lyndall's that they figured about 18k miles would be the average life of the pads; as everyone has noted it can vary widely depending on how you ride.  If you do a lot of highway cruising, the brakes last a very long time.  Do a lot of stop and go, or screaming up and down mountains, and you might need to replace pads yearly.  Nice thing about disc brakes, it's really easy to check the pads every time you wash the bike or check your air pressure, and changing the fronts on a Harley is a piece of cake.

One other thing about the Lyndall Z pads, they are very rotor friendly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:39:10 PM »

While we are on the subject of easy to replace the front pads have any of you been successful in removing the caliper with the wheel still on the bike?  I simply could not finagle the darn thing enough to get it clear hence I did the pad change when I had the front wheel off for a new tire.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »

Ultrafxr, That has always been an issue even on my 08 SEUC but if you just keep working it and hold your mouth just a certain way it finally slips off. Very close tolerance but it will come off. It comes off easier if your pads are almost worn out.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:19 PM »

Ultrafxr, That has always been an issue even on my 08 SEUC but if you just keep working it and hold your mouth just a certain way it finally slips off. Very close tolerance but it will come off. It comes off easier if your pads are almost worn out.

Are you saying the pads are causing a problem getting the caliper off?  If that's what's hanging things up, just press the pads and pistons back into the caliper a bit.  I use a 1" thin putty knife.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »

Good Point GRC!!! Ditto on that!!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »

Put masking tape or duct tape on the fender for protection because it gets real close.  Spreading the pads gives you that last little bit to enable the calipers to pivot .
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.