Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR Bars. Looking for answers before spending money!!  (Read 4795 times)

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
FXR Bars. Looking for answers before spending money!!
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »

Hello to all and thanks in advance for your help. This is my 1st post, and hopefully will be up here all the time.
I think you guys have a good community here where the love of our bikes makes us all immidiate friends and brothers.
My question is about bars for my 2000 FXR3.
The stock bars are a too low for me by what feels like 5 or 6". I am 6' tall and want my bars closer to chest/shoulder height.
They also turn in a little more at the ends than I would like.
But my bike has electronics on the bar clamp and has the stock pull back risers, which look nice.
So has anyone swapped out their bars, risers, or both to get that just right position?
What works best for you? Any suggestions for me?
I like mini-apes, but would have to remove the risers to shorties, and like I said, the pullback risers look nice.
What do you guys think?
Live free or die like a rat in a trap.

1999 FXR3
EV27 Cam, Adjustable push rods, S&S Carb, Crane Single-Fire, RB Pipe.

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
Re: FXR Bars. Looking for answers before spending money!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »

Another pic.

1999 FXR3

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:20:40 PM »

Hi,
 Your bike listing has conflicts. The FXR3 was was 1999 as is the FXR2. The FXR4 was in 2000. Anyway your bike looks nice to me. I had Drag bars that were too narrow, that I could not easily view anything in my mirrors. My bars  now are simullar to what you have, wider slightly taller that the drag bars. I like it.
Ltank

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02:08 PM »

You are correct sir. My title says year 1st sold 2000, but 1999 model FXR.
Your bars look taller, wider and less curved in than mine.
What model are they?
Are your risers pull back or straight up?
The height looks closer to what I am looking for.

1999 FXR3

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »

Welcome to the site.  I'm fairly new, but I'm hooked. I think your bike is an FXR3 which would of course make it a '99.  I think this b/c you have a single disc front break, whereas the 2000 FXR4 had dual discs.  Obviously, though your bike has been modified with the paint job, air intake, handlebars, etc., so it is hard to tell without checking the vin.  It would seem to me though, that when doing mods, one would not subtract a disc and braking system in order to go with a single disc, therefore I think it's an FXR3 and thus a '99.  Could be an FXR2, but they had spoked front wheels.  I remember seeing an FXR with mini-apes online some time ago when i was shopping for my green FXR3.  i might have printed it out, but I'll have to check.  I'll send you the address if I find it.  Maybe the ad for that bike is still running , and you'll see what  it looks like.  Keep searching for FXR's for sale online and you're bound to find one with mini-apes.  You can then contact the owner and get his reasons for using those bars, and how he likes them.  Or if you wait a few days I'm sure someone on this site will have all the info you need. Good luck.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »

The 2000 FXR4 also had a grey engine/ tranny, electronic speedo vs. cable driven and as already noted, four piston disk brake calipers (triple discs) also grey.

The 2000 had a very straight and narrow drag bar with a tall straight riser which is totally uncomfortable.  I installed pullback risers and the bars from the 99 models.  All the FXR2,3,4 had mid controls.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »

Hi,
I don't really remember . They are from Harley, I think they are from a stock Dyna or Sportster. My risers are stock and about a 6" rise.
Thanks,
Lynn

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:44:35 AM »

Frisco Kid~

Welcome to the site here.....hope you find this place helpfu!!!
 :carrot: :cucumber: :pepper:  :2vrolijk_21:
pssst...

CLICK HERE

There were some questions about what was a FXR2, FXR3, FXR4.....the above "LINK" will show you some photos of each....

As far as getting those bars higher.....there is always an option like Mikey took FXR4Mikey or Hoist took with his FXR3, they put mini type apes on their bikes....to get the lift up another option "MIGHT" be looking at the handle bars that a Dyna Street Bob is running those might work as well.....

I personally did a "rather" complicated yet simple alteration to my bars which allowed them to be a bit wider....here is the "LINK" to that THREAD simply CLICK HERE although I am pretty sure they will not help with your situation as you described......

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:51:48 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 04:31:45 AM »

Thanks Tim.
I looked over your posting on your bar quest and it is very informative.
This is my first Harley and I never pictured myself as a big tall ape bar guy.
But after riding the FXR3 with those narrow bars, I knew I wanted something different.
I see your bike and your friends green fxr3 with the Dyna bars and am seriously considering trying those.
The cost savings of not having to change cables is a big factor as well.
A question, Has your friend ridden your bike with the Flanders bars on it?
The Dyna bars and your Flander's look similar and I wonder if he thinks your wider bars are even better (leverage etc) than his?
My other bike is an dirt bike so I won't have that stange adjustment of two sweet road bikes to consider.
I am hoping to get something that I like on short hops, but doesn't kill me on longer rides too.
I bought an FXR beacuse of its handling and don't want to give that up.
But the stock bars with forward controls leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks.

1999 FXR3

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »

The stock bars are a too low for me by what feels like 5 or 6". I am 6' tall and want my bars closer to chest/shoulder height.

A question, Has your friend ridden your bike with the Flanders bars on it?
The Dyna bars and your Flander's look similar and I wonder if he thinks your wider bars are even better (leverage etc) than his?

I am hoping to get something that I like on short hops, but doesn't kill me on longer rides too.
I bought an FXR beacuse of its handling and don't want to give that up.
But the stock bars with forward controls leave a lot to be desired.

Frisco~

The green FXR3 owner is a member here....but he is a "lurker" lol he doesn't post much.....so speaking for him can be a bit "dicey" however full steam engines ahead.....he too is over 6' and is closer to 6' 1" tall this of course is primarily his wife's bike, to hear him tell it....it's really his wife's bike.....but he rides it too....he also has a 06 Road King Custom, if he were to take a trip of distance he would do so on the road king the FXR is just a bit "cramped" for him.  But it's fun for him to take for a day ride and several hours.  I am 5' 10" with "boots and othodics" lol and I own a 2002 RKC and this 99 FXR2.  Taking a trip I would grab either....and because the bike is about 200 lbs lighter I would lean towards the FXR for sure.....So that being said....let's address your questions:

Yes, Paul (my friend) has ridden my bike with the "flanders" on it.  He would agree that the bars have better leverage because he "believes" in leverage as you are describing it and of course the flander's "bad boy" bar is wider.  HOWEVER....they are "barely" wider than the dyna bars....so are they worth the extra money....that's a flip of the coin 31" vs 32.25".  $82.00 vs $42.00  :nixweiss:  to me yes to him probably not.

I will say this....since you have shared that you have "forward" controls.....the forward controls change the ergonomics quite a bit.....I looked at your photograph and couldn't tell if you have your mid range pegs on the bike or not....if not you might try putting some on....which would do a lot towards providing you with some 'alternative" foot locations that might benefit you for "longer" rides for sure.  I previously owned a 2003 Dyna Low Rider with forward controls and as long as you have both feet postions everything seems a lot better.  Butttttt being locked into one or the other without both can be tiresome either way.

Keep askin questions if you have any......hopefully you get this figured out for your riding enjoyment.  You are certainly at that "tweener" size in height where you are having to compromise a bit for comfort already hopefully you can get this figured out to your liking and enjoy that wonderful bike.

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »

Hey Kid, Welcome to the place !!!

I have mini apes on my FXR4...... reason being is that I want more height and the bars closer to me.

I have the tilted back to get them closer to me as opposed to having the straight up in line with the forks like some put them.
I'm after comfort, not so much the look.

The bars are actually stock bars from a 2001 wide glide, I have the part number if you need/want it.

In order to install these bars I had to replace the clutch and brake cables. That was alright cause I wanted to go chrome braided lines anyway.

You can go to this thread to see some pictures of my bike .... you'll have to scroll down a ways to get to the pictures...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31138.0

Good Luck with your choice, and be sure to post up some pictures when you get your new bars on !!

Mikey
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.