Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: California muffler bill at it again......  (Read 2246 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
California muffler bill at it again......
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »

Part of the reason that I decided to stay with stock exhaust and just go with Fullsac baffles was just in case this law passes this time.......or next (it will, sooner or later).

I got this in an email from the AMA today:

Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle emissions) has been amended and is now scheduled for a hearing on June 21st. Take Action!

Bill would require stock exhaust on all bikes manufactured after January 1, 1983.

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, 23rd District, D) is back. Despite repeated failure to garner support for past versions, Senator Pavley continues to unfairly target motorcycle owners. The latest version of the bill would require only stock exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed since 1983, and mandates a $300 fine for any owner who is found to be in violation.

Once again riders throughout the state are asked to contact their Senators and let them know that this is simply unacceptable. The newest version of this bill, which previously mandated smog testing, would result in thousands of currently legal motorcycles to be removed from the road, or their owners being forced to spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to reinstall OEM exhaust. Also, in the case of older models, many owners would be left in an all but impossible situation, as OEM exhaust systems will simply be no longer available from the manufacturer, therefore rendering the bike both illegal to ride and all but impossible to sell.

Furthermore, the lack of a labeled exhaust system does not mean a motorcycle is out of compliance with the federal law. After-market exhaust systems that comply with RSA 266:59-a are available from a number of manufacturers and often installed by their owners for a number of different reasons:
1) after-market exhaust systems are available when OEM exhaust parts are no longer, especially for older motorcycles;

2) Exhaust systems can rust out or be damaged in a minor accident, requiring replacement

3) after-market exhaust systems cost less than OEM systems, even when they are available; and

4) OEM exhausts systems are not available for custom motorcycles and kit motorcycles constructed by individuals from non-OEM components.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: California muffler bill at it again......
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »

Thanks for the heads up JC..  If it passes there it will the other 49 states.    :-\

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »

Thanks for the heads up JC..  If it passes there it will the other 49 states.    :-\

I think you're right......sooner or later all the states jump on board.  First the smog compliant now the
EPA stamp on the exhaust. :nixweiss:

What I'd really like to know.......when are all the other states going to get on board with putting azz gaskets (the paper toilet seat cover) in all the restrooms of gas stations, restaraunts, etc? :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »

It may eventually pass, but just like the silly local helmet law in Myrtle Beach it will be overturned by a higher court.  No way they can make motorcyclists use only original equipment exhaust systems while they allow the kids with "tuner" cars to run headers, custom pipes, etc.  It's amazing how law makers don't seem to grasp the basics of our system.

If they want to control sound levels, then set up an inspection program and measure sound levels scientifically, with a standard method similar to the one used by the Fed's.  But it's going to have to address basic fairness issues, and not just target one segment either.  Cars, trucks, motorcycles, or any other vehicle used on public highways should have to meet the standard and should also face the same inspection frequency requirement.  And I think they will find, just like the clown's in Myrtle, that they better not make their standards tougher than the existing standards of a higher authority (like the Fed's).

JC, you need to find the jerk who rides through this guys neighborhood and stuff a few potatoes in his open pipes.  Sounds like a personal vendetta by a senile legislator to me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »

It may eventually pass, but just like the silly local helmet law in Myrtle Beach it will be overturned by a higher court.  No way they can make motorcyclists use only original equipment exhaust systems while they allow the kids with "tuner" cars to run headers, custom pipes, etc.  It's amazing how law makers don't seem to grasp the basics of our system.

If they want to control sound levels, then set up an inspection program and measure sound levels scientifically, with a standard method similar to the one used by the Fed's.  But it's going to have to address basic fairness issues, and not just target one segment either.  Cars, trucks, motorcycles, or any other vehicle used on public highways should have to meet the standard and should also face the same inspection frequency requirement.  And I think they will find, just like the clown's in Myrtle, that they better not make their standards tougher than the existing standards of a higher authority (like the Fed's).

JC, you need to find the jerk who rides through this guys neighborhood and stuff a few potatoes in his open pipes.  Sounds like a personal vendetta by a senile legislator to me.

Jerry

There was a time when I would have been right there with you on that thinking.  But kind of like when the passed the motorcycle helmet law (but no helmet law for skiers, rodeos, etc. etc.).  Then we were so sure that it would get overturned right away.  We (ABATE and MMA members) worked hard on new legislatures campaigns to get people in office that supported freedom in this state.  That's been more than a decade and the law is still on the books. 

But it may turn into a decibel check at 20' behind the exhaust at various rpms but even then......can you see where that's going.  I'm not optamistic.  I'd rather have the EPA stamped exhaust (with Fullsac baffles) than to have to go for a "sound" test. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »

Appreciate the heads up and definitely oppose it for several reasons.

Not buying the other 49 states pitch though  :nixweiss: California stands alone with their abundant we know whats good for you laws :nixweiss:

One of the reasons I would never consider becoming a resident no matter how beautiful it is :-*

California exhaust has plagued the auto industry for years. Perhaps manufacturers should just stop selling California compliant vehicles. (not realistic) Eventually when it got like Cuba vehicle wise they would have to come to their senses.  :2vrolijk_21:

RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:58 AM »

Appreciate the heads up and definitely oppose it for several reasons.

Not buying the other 49 states pitch though  :nixweiss: California stands alone with their abundant we know whats good for you laws :nixweiss:

One of the reasons I would never consider becoming a resident no matter how beautiful it is :-*

California exhaust has plagued the auto industry for years. Perhaps manufacturers should just stop selling California compliant vehicles. (not realistic) Eventually when it got like Cuba vehicle wise they would have to come to their senses.  :2vrolijk_21:

Mass. follows CA.  We have our own version of compliance for autos.  California is also leading us to the economic collapse already occurring in progressive Europe.  We should watch CA. and learn....what not to do.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:46 PM »

Mass. follows CA.  We have our own version of compliance for autos.  California is also leading us to the economic collapse already occurring in progressive Europe.  We should watch CA. and learn....what not to do.

I think most of us would agree.  But it's not necessarily the states that follow suit, it's the federal government.  Mandated fuel mileage is always first in Cali and then the fed govt. follows suit.  The no-release of refrigerants (commonly referred to as freon) started in Cali and the fed govt. quickly followed suit.  The anti smog (catalitic converters) started in Cali. but the feds quickly followed suit.

So the question remains......when will all the fed. govt. and the other states follow suit with requiring the azz gaskets in restrooms?  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »

California sucks....and I live there. They (politician) will do whatever they can to take $ from the working person. ie. Registation for your bike is based on the value of it, not just a flat rate. ($475.00 this year) Gas is higher, insurance is higher, taxes are higher,the largest welfare state,the only thing good about this state is the weather. (and we pay for that too) Arizona looks good for retirement.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:52:47 PM by Fireguy »

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »

Part of the reason that I decided to stay with stock exhaust and just go with Fullsac baffles was just in case this law passes this time.......or next (it will, sooner or later).

I got this in an email from the AMA today:

Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle emissions) has been amended and is now scheduled for a hearing on June 21st. Take Action!

Bill would require stock exhaust on all bikes manufactured after January 1, 1983.

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, 23rd District, D) is back. Despite repeated failure to garner support for past versions, Senator Pavley continues to unfairly target motorcycle owners. The latest version of the bill would require only stock exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed since 1983, and mandates a $300 fine for any owner who is found to be in violation.

Once again riders throughout the state are asked to contact their Senators and let them know that this is simply unacceptable. The newest version of this bill, which previously mandated smog testing, would result in thousands of currently legal motorcycles to be removed from the road, or their owners being forced to spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to reinstall OEM exhaust. Also, in the case of older models, many owners would be left in an all but impossible situation, as OEM exhaust systems will simply be no longer available from the manufacturer, therefore rendering the bike both illegal to ride and all but impossible to sell.

Furthermore, the lack of a labeled exhaust system does not mean a motorcycle is out of compliance with the federal law. After-market exhaust systems that comply with RSA 266:59-a are available from a number of manufacturers and often installed by their owners for a number of different reasons:
1) after-market exhaust systems are available when OEM exhaust parts are no longer, especially for older motorcycles;

2) Exhaust systems can rust out or be damaged in a minor accident, requiring replacement

3) after-market exhaust systems cost less than OEM systems, even when they are available; and

4) OEM exhausts systems are not available for custom motorcycles and kit motorcycles constructed by individuals from non-OEM components.

And I just sold all my stock exhaust stuff... UGH

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 09:13:37 AM »

On another note, with fullsac's baffles that keep the stock look and a tts programmer, I bet steve could set up a SMOG program to have bikes pass a smog test when that time comes. And then put it back after the test.  :nixweiss:     

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »

It amazes me still that a state about to go bankrupt has time and energy to do this crap. Vote em all out.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »

It amazes me still that a state about to go bankrupt has time and energy to do this crap. Vote em all out.

It amazes me that the state that's about to go bankrupt is still the 5th largest economy in the world. :nixweiss:

We voted a bunch of em out.  The only thing is.......those going in aren't going to do any better.  Meg Whitmen has bought the Republican partys nomination in the preliminarys last week.  Now she's already dumped $9 million more into her own campain fund.  A woman who flys around the world in a private jet with her own entorage and body gaurds can't not relate to 95% of the citizens of Calif. but money talks. :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.