Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Vacuum effects Oil Pressure?  (Read 1053 times)

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Engine Vacuum effects Oil Pressure?
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:45:31 PM »

Does this symptom indicate anything funky with the oil pump?
This is an '05 103" and I've noticed whenever shifting up thru the gears or being at a steady speed and then accelerating a bit in that gear, if there is any kind of acceleration load, it's like there's an engine vaccuum pulling down the oil pressure.
At steady speed oil pressure will read something like 25psi.  Then that load from speeding up sucks down the pressure.  The harder I accelerate, the more it will go to zero.  On the shift, the pressure will go back up, then back down on engaging the next gear.

Oil levels are ok, I'd thought of something being overfilled.....  would the breathers in the heads cause it?  I'd put on the HD Heavy Breather AC 2 years ago and never noticed it......

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Engine Vacuum effects Oil Pressure?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »

Since you say you have proper oil levels
Do you have any motor work done to the motor?
Are you sure you are not sumping any oil which could act just like this.

Is the oil spring / schim is sticking in the cam plate.  When was the last time your head breathers were checked / replaced?   Are you getting much blow by from the heads into the air cleaner or other devices?   

Do you have the chrome oil line from the engine to to the oil spout or do you have the factory rubber hose with the small piece of chrome?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »

Since you say you have proper oil levels
Do you have any motor work done to the motor?
Are you sure you are not sumping any oil which could act just like this.

Is the oil spring / schim is sticking in the cam plate.  When was the last time your head breathers were checked / replaced?   Are you getting much blow by from the heads into the air cleaner or other devices?   

Do you have the chrome oil line from the engine to to the oil spout or do you have the factory rubber hose with the small piece of chrome?

Harry is asking all the right questions.  You have a partial blockage somewhere...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »

cut the ol filter element apart. if it has orange pieces the your can tensioners have failed.

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »

No work done to the motor
Don't know about the rubber oil line.  I remember it on my '04 Softail along the side of the trans, does this one run along the top of the tranny?
Not real clear on what sumping is, although a guess would be the oil pump is starving for oil?
Pulled cam cover off (25k miles) to do a visual on the cam shoes during winter of '09.  Wear was about the width of a credit card.  Didn't touch anything else.
Nothing to replace on the breathers, the HD AC vents directly into the intake.  No oil drips from the filter and no residue on inside surfaces when I clean the filter.

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:03:54 PM »

When my motor went from high oil pressure to nothing during acceleration = excessive crank run out with a very worn plate/pump

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.