Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All those with air suspension....  (Read 2190 times)

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
All those with air suspension....
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »

I thought it would be a good thread for us with air suspension to populate this thread. Lets put up shock data in for others trying to find the right psi for their shocks.

Lets put in:
   - year of bike and model
   - approx. weight carried (one up, two up and luggage) WARNING I suggest you don't put your wifes weight, just combined  ::) ....lol
   - comment on the ride
   - PSI used for the shocks.

Just an Idea

Bub

bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
Re: All those with air suspension....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »

Well, after having my '07 SEUC bottom out a couple times & tear up the rear lighting wire harness under the fender, I keep mine at a minimum of 35psi always
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »

Have a 2010 and keep mine between 35 & 40 psi. I like the firm ride and don't like to adjust them when riding two up.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:52 AM »

09 FLHTCUSE4, combined weight 300 lbs + gear. It's 50 psi for me all the time and 0,3+ tire pressure. Bike needs all the stiffness it can get  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »

Combined weight: ~325 lbs + gear
07 FLHRSE3 Road King (lowered from the factory) 50 psi
10 FLHTCUSE5 Ulrtra Classic (lowered w/HD air shocks) 50 psi

Both bikes are similar on the aft end (hard saddlebags, king tourpaks, & lowered), but apparently due some change to the design of the lowered air shocks in 09, the Road King rides MUCH better than the Ultra Classic.   ??? I would have tried the "new" shocks that have adjustable damping, but when I bought the lowering shocks the new ones weren't available.  :'(

At 5'9" I don't consider myself inseam challenged, but after dropping the Ultra Classic on a slight side hill my BSR and I decided it was time to lower the new bike -right away!   :'(

Since the Ultra Classic bottoms out easily and I can't afford to change rear shocks again soon I'm going to try changing the oil in them to see if that helps. I plan to measure the amount of oil that comes out of the shocks when I drain them, and replace it SE Fork Oil to see if there is some low cost way to improve the ride.  :-\

Wait a minute! Did I just say "low cost"?  ??? I must have forgot that I'm working on a Harley...  ;)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »

Changed the oil in the lowered air shocks to the Screamin' Eagle fork oil, and didn't see any real improvement in bottoming out. I'm not impressed with the Profile Low air shocks for the late model Touring bikes.

Now the big question is -what to try next?  :-\

I hate to raise it back up by going back to the stock suspension, but that may be the only answer? If so, I guess I'll hafta get a copy of the Ride Like a Pro DVD and start practicing my low speed maneuvers. Come to think of it, that probably wouldn't hurt anyways...  8)

The "new" SE Street Glide shocks (PN 54680-10) sound interesting, but if they don't have any more travel than the Profile Low shocks (PN 54635-09) then they may not make much difference. Anybody out there tried both of them yet? Any comments?

S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »

somehow H-D managed to get the 09 rear shocks so much improved they don't do their job anymore  ;)

80 % of the 09 touring demo-bikes our dealer got lost pressure form 50 psi to under 20 psi within 6 hours.

With my FLHTCUSE4 I gave them the last chance with a replacement of the entyre system now.

My hope is they fail again and I can charge them an industry-standard system  ;)

I'd go for bitubos ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:04:27 PM »

I installed the serg shocks on my seuc5. Awesome ride. One turn out single and two turns out two up. I feel they way helped ride and handling is not effected.  Tried lower air shocks and hated them. Both the ride and the handling suffered.
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:46:15 AM »

lowering a bike means less max inclination i.e. slower turns - no way I would do that  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »

Some of us like the lowered look period. You don't get nothin for nothin. There are trade offs on most any change you make. However I think these shocks are a win win. The factory air shocks suck. We all agree on that. The lowered air shocks really suck. I have had 5 different dressers over the last 15 years and have tried a lot of different shocks. If you go lower on the older bikes you will give something up either ride or handling or both. Being younger and tougher looks won out back then. Now being a tad older comfort is more important. The 2010 seuc is a huge improvement over my 2008 ultra no doubt. IMHO the serg shocks are awesome. No loss in handling or ride and 1" lower stance. To me the rear tire now seems glued to the road and I like that feeling also. Most important thing is BS rider says it was money well spent.
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:21:19 AM »

Some of us like the lowered look period. You don't get nothin for nothin. There are trade offs on most any change you make. However I think these shocks are a win win. The factory air shocks suck. We all agree on that. The lowered air shocks really suck. I have had 5 different dressers over the last 15 years and have tried a lot of different shocks. If you go lower on the older bikes you will give something up either ride or handling or both. Being younger and tougher looks won out back then. Now being a tad older comfort is more important. The 2010 seuc is a huge improvement over my 2008 ultra no doubt. IMHO the serg shocks are awesome. No loss in handling or ride and 1" lower stance. To me the rear tire now seems glued to the road and I like that feeling also. Most important thing is BS rider says it was money well spent.
When "Momma' is happy... everybody is happy. :2vrolijk_21: Now on all future mods you can say "Honey these mods are for your comfort and safety just like replacing the shocks were"..... whether that be the case or not. ;) :D ;D :D ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:19:56 AM »

I like the way you think. :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.