Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: piston part number  (Read 1192 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
piston part number
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »

Was measuring my cylenders and pistons on my 06 seuc.  The cylinders measured out at 3.886 and the pistons were at 3.882.  I can't find anythin on the piston that says it is .10 over.  The number on the piston is 22088-07 underneith that is 1690.  They are hd pistons.  I thought the stock piston measures 3.875?  Just wanted to make sure that if i order .10 over pistons that they will be over the 3.885 to make sure i can fit them. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: piston part number
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

Well the pistons are not OEM. The part number is not valid therefore is a component of a kit such as a SE piston kit. The whole kit has a parts number that is for all of the components including rings, locks and pins.

From HD you can get the original pistons and the 10.5/1 pistons for your motor are discontinued
Your barrels are already .010 OS. This rules out a nice snug fit when buying the same .010 OS pistons, that added thousandth wear or poor sizing will yield too much clearance for quiet operation, especially with a forged piston.

The current issue 103" pistons will not work (without rework) because they are designed for the new tapered rods. That is why I suggested what I did (Wiseco) and no HD piston will offer what you need. The stockers, .010 max OS, which in itself is a problem based on your measurements, assuming the mikes you used are currently calibrated in standards. The stockers will also yield less than 9/1 compression which will get you soft low speed response and a torque loss from idle to 3,000+ rpm

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »

That's what I was worried about. Running into all kinds of crazy stuff on this bike. Only 20k miles on it and .10 over and other stuff. I guess I need to either find some used cylenders or is it worth buying the matched performance ones that You can fit the forged pistons to a tighter clearance.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »

I gave you a 100% solution with part numbers, but you will need STD pistons.
In your case you will need some stock barrels to have bored for the 103" pistons.
Hook up with a shop to get the bore and torque plate hone done. They will provide advice on piston fit.
Clearance is built into pistons so if the bore is perfectly bored to the prescribed size the clearance will be per manufacturers recommendations. We typically fit cast pistons at ~.001 clearance and forged at .002-.0024. Depends on the manufacturer. We bore and hone to fit the piston and measure them individually, then mark the barrels and the pistons front and rear.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »

Ya don i figured that stuff for the piston fitment.  Just didn't know if anyone has used some of the aftermarket jugs if it is really an improvement over the stock harley jugs. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »

The stock jugs are very stable at that bore size.
110 new story, but those are not the same part as an OEM 96 or 88" barrel.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »

another dumb questoin.  The 96" jugs aren't any different than the 88 ones?  was just looking at ebay trying to find some cheap jugs to bore out.  I saw this post http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150454531590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
But you said that the 103 pistons for the new bikes have different connecting rods.  Unless Its the same type for all weisco pistons.  Thought about calling the guy to see.  Other than the fact if i don't know the shop don't really trust people to do any machining for me. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:45 PM »

Ask the vendor for the part number then go to Wisecos site. The older piston style will work on the late models but not the other way around.
You need the 10.5/1 setup.
Ask him for boring details, equipment used and clearance set??

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.