Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dealer suggested installing new forged se pistions?? input??  (Read 927 times)

yellowted

i have the 07fxdse in the shop for another rear base gasket leaking.  this is the first time out of three leaks that anyone suggested doing some upgrades.  i was told that swapping the pistons while warranty was fronting the money would be a cheap and noticeable upgrade, i agree, but what about more heat adding to the all ready hot motor thus further creating more leaks down the road.  the bike current has a bub side cutter exhaust, se heavy breather, and tts for the tuning.  i will definitely compensate the increase in compression with a better set of cams in the off season but i am wondering if these are worth doing while they are in there.  i've read most of the suggestions of not to go down the road of changing the compression but i also read some of saying they have created a monster to ride.  any input is appreciated.  thanks, andrew 
2007 fxdse
2011 flhtc

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: dealer suggested installing new forged se pistions?? input??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »

You are treading on thin ice.
The 07 cylinders are already suspect and many have slipped the sleeves. Plus and equally important the bore needs to be corrected, so is the dealer going to have the barrels bored and torque plate honed? I seriously doubt it. They typically order new parts, no machine work. The HD cylinders have poor piston fit which is yet another issue in the 110 pile.
Last but not least by any means...
10.5/1 compression with the 110 SE255 cam and you have a ping monster.

yellowted

Re: dealer suggested installing new forged se pistions?? input??
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »

you summed up my gut feeling from research with your answer.  i'll let them put it back together and when i am out of warranty and it leaks in the next 1k i will start the rebuild... thank you
2007 fxdse
2011 flhtc

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.