Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vibation  (Read 1239 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
vibation
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »

Here is a wierd one. While sitting still and not moving, when I push on rear brake, or pull the front brake lever there is a distinct vibration throughout the bike. The only thing that I can think of is that there is a brake line flexing somewhere or the abs unit is slightly moving against the frame and causing a vibration. It probably is doing it riding down the road, but I can not detect it while riding. Has anyone noticed this on their bike or have any ideas?  To the average rider, this may not even be noticable. My wife also rides, and she only could feel it after I asked her to sit on it and "feel" for it.  Not a major concern but somewhat irritating, not knowing the cause. I am an auto tech by trade and notice things like this.  Have not been to the stealer yet.  2010 SEUC 

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: vibation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »

Here is a wierd one. While sitting still and not moving, when I push on rear brake, or pull the front brake lever there is a distinct vibration throughout the bike. The only thing that I can think of is that there is a brake line flexing somewhere or the abs unit is slightly moving against the frame and causing a vibration. It probably is doing it riding down the road, but I can not detect it while riding. Has anyone noticed this on their bike or have any ideas?  To the average rider, this may not even be noticable. My wife also rides, and she only could feel it after I asked her to sit on it and "feel" for it.  Not a major concern but somewhat irritating, not knowing the cause. I am an auto tech by trade and notice things like this.  Have not been to the stealer yet.  2010 SEUC 

Every bike I have ever owned did exactly the same thing, when you get a big unbalanced V twin flopping around, the front forks and rear suspension help absorb some of the vibration when stopped, you can even see the front wheel moving slightly at idle, locking the brakes stops the process and the vibration is transferred to the frame.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »

I guess I must have had a problem with the last 5 Harleys ( including the 2006 SEUC) since they did not have the same problem I am experiencing with this bike. Also have just riden a friends 2007  and it does not display the problem. Must just be certain bikes that do what mine is doing.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »

One difference between your current bike and the previous ones, and the friends 2007, is that only the current one has ABS.  Remove the right side cover to expose the ABS pump, apply the brake, and see if the pump is the source of the vibration/noise.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »

Mine has done the same thing since new. It is the pump.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »

The pump should be isolated from the frame as shown in the attached drawing, but depending on how H-D did the mounts it probably still transfers some vibration to the frame.  Make sure all the mounts are in place and nothing is grounded out, including the brake lines.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »

The pump should be isolated from the frame as shown in the attached drawing, but depending on how H-D did the mounts it probably still transfers some vibration to the frame.  Make sure all the mounts are in place and nothing is grounded out, including the brake lines.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I think you are definitely on the right track, and I will check that out. Thanks for your input.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

Mine has done the same thing since new. It is the pump.

Thanks, I am glad to hear someone else has felt this problem.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »

All of my Harley`s shake more while holding the brakes :vrolijk27:

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.