Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Measured a Set of 110 Barrels Tonight, Bad News  (Read 1750 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Measured a Set of 110 Barrels Tonight, Bad News
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:42 PM »

I had a good customer bring me a set of barrels tonight to measure because he had a lot of what was presenting like valvetrain noise. Well the barrels and pistons looked good at first glance. Very light to zero wear. I miked the cylinders and got .001 clearance at 1" to 3" up from the bottom then it tapered from there to the middle where now we had .003+ all the way to the top. No doubt this was not a real happy motor. There was oil mist in the intake tract too. We will get it fixed. Stock pistons .010 OS and a nice torque plate hone and bore to the proper clearance.
This was an 07 110 and had no signs of sleeve slip.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Measured a Set of 110 Barrels Tonight, Bad News
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »

One thing I've been curious about Don is just how stable those cylinders are over time.  In other words, after a good cleanup overbore and hone with torque plates, will the bores remain accurate after many heat cycles?  Have you had cause to go back in to one you've done before and then found any obvious issues?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:26:07 AM »

I am  not sure! I am calling Chaz and Ron this morning for a second opinion. I feel so bad for this guy he has had that motor apart just too much. I even thought about sleeving them with thick ductile sleeves (LA Sleeve Co) and going out to 113". Still would have .060 a side at the base. I am building my 117" that way now with resleeved stock cylinders, cases bored 4.125" bore.

fatboi1959, that looks like a runner!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:30:16 AM by Deweysheads »

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:54:07 AM »

Are you going to do anything to the heads???? Besides port and polish???? Right before I headed back out to work I found my FXSTSSE 07 started seeping between the bottom jug and engine casing. I plan to start my unexpected Engine repair when I get back home. New head gasket, new cam, look and see what the pistons and jugs look like. Change to a 50 or 58 mm injection system. I am torn between a Andrews 54 and a Woods TW5G cam????? I have read your past information that you have given others and I know you know your stuff. Oh I have a SE Super Tuner.....
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:44:13 PM »

I did the heads already. They are our Pro Street package and are done, no issues there. Much of what we do to the heads is just to get them to live and not use oil, before we even take a grinder to them.
We are going to reuse the stock pistons and send them to Axtell for custom fitting to the new barrels. I am glad this customer stepped up, he will have a nice quiet tight bike when done. We can set those cast pistons up at ~.001 clearance.

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 10:26:48 PM »

Are you going to do anything to the heads???? Besides port and polish???? Right before I headed back out to work I found my FXSTSSE 07 started seeping between the bottom jug and engine casing. I plan to start my unexpected Engine repair when I get back home. New head gasket, new cam, look and see what the pistons and jugs look like. Change to a 50 or 58 mm injection system. I am torn between a Andrews 54 and a Woods TW5G cam????? I have read your past information that you have given others and I know you know your stuff. Oh I have a SE Super Tuner.....

I have a brond new 50 mm fbw throttle body if you are interested, will sell reasonable 100.00

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »

Update
Had another call from a local 110 owner and he had what presented as valvetrain noise. 2009 SE UC. Stock motor except for pipes. Bike still under warranty and it was pulled down by the dealer. Much to their credit they got the local rep involved and they said "fix it". Well the barrels once again had no visible wear but miked with .004" piston to wall clearance. The solution new barrels and pistons. Dealer tech, kudos to him as well, because they actually checked the new parts and they were true and straight (out of the box) with piston to wall clearance of .002". It is back on the road all noise is gone
Are we seeing a trend here? :nixweiss:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:10:54 AM »

One thing I've been curious about Don is just how stable those cylinders are over time.  In other words, after a good cleanup overbore and hone with torque plates, will the bores remain accurate after many heat cycles?  Have you had cause to go back in to one you've done before and then found any obvious issues?

Jerry

In an air/oil cooled engine environment, there are many tolerances/clearences moving, as the constant changing temps, unlike water-cooled powerplants. ;)
Scott

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »

Jerry
Not sure I know the answer, and re-framed a bit I would wonder if the 110 suffers from more blow-by than a similar compression 96 or 88" due to distorted bore either from the inception, during use, or due to design deficiency. We need to do some leakdowns on more of these motors!!!!
If so there are no cams or heads that will help that problem and HP and TQ will suffer severely. Similar scenario to what we saw when overboring car engines too far. The barrel needs to be as close to a monument as possible. Poor ring seal, low power

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.