Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suspension Stabilizer  (Read 4048 times)

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
Suspension Stabilizer
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »

I see that the stabilizer companies (Tru Trac etc) offer a rear suspension stabilizer for the newer touring bikes.  I thought the new frame was to cure this problem/situation.  I haven't noticed any wobble from my SERG, has anyone experienced any of the old symptoms or installed one yet?

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Re: Suspension Stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:02 PM »

I had a 2008 UC and put a Bagger brace on. Was a great improvement. But I also have a SERG and with the new frame and design, I think my bike now rides and handles better than my last one.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »

I see that the stabilizer companies (Tru Trac etc) offer a rear suspension stabilizer for the newer touring bikes.  I thought the new frame was to cure this problem/situation.  I haven't noticed any wobble from my SERG, has anyone experienced any of the old symptoms or installed one yet?

My '09 and '10 with the new frames work awesome!!

NO issues at all.

:2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »

The 09/10 bikes should not expierence the "bagger wobble" associated with the previuos generation. With that said, speaking with the guys from Progressive and Kevin from Sta-Bo at the V-Twin dealer show they said the new bikes will benefit from tightening up the suspension.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »

Just because there is no particular problem has no impact on the willingness of the aftermarket to build a product to spend money on.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:48:48 PM »

Just because there is no particular problem has no impact on the willingness of the aftermarket to build a product to spend money on.

How true, I had no clue anyone had an issue till I saw the bagger brace on this site, now I wonder what the issue is, I have never felt any issues at all even above 100MPH.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 11:55:05 AM »

WELL IF THEY DONT HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL THEY DONT STAY IN BUSINESS.  FOR YEARS THE AFTERMARKET MADE MILLIONS OFF OF THE FL WOBBLE ISSUE. MY 08 SEUC WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE WHEN IT CAME TO REAR STEER ISSUES. IT WAS SO BAD I HATED RIDING IT AND MY 07 UC WAS NEVER A PROBLEM. THERE IS A FAIRLY DRASTIC DIFFERENCE FROM BIKE TO BIKE ON THE PRE-09 FL SERIES. AFTER INSTALLING THE BRACE ON MY 08 I KNEW BEFORE I LEFT MY DRIVEWAY THAT IT WAS A BIG IMPROVEMENT. SO THAT BEING SAID, I HAVE RIDDEN SEVERAL 09 FL'S AND I HAVENT FELT ANY NEED FOR A BRACE BUT MAYBE THERE ARE ONES OUT THERE THAT DO NEED SOME HELP.  HARLEY ISNT KNOW TO BE A MANUFACTURER THAT CARES ABOUT CLOSE TOLLERANCE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. OFTEN IF IT WAS CLOSE IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH AND THE OLD "THEY ALL DO IT" STATEMENT FIT QUITE NICELY. AS THEIR ENGINES GREW IN POWER THE PROBLEMS BECAME MORE SEVERE AND THE DESIGN/CONSTRUCTION LIMITS WERE BEING TESTED QUITE OFTEN. LINK THAT TO MORE RIDERS WITH NOVICE SKILLS AND THE PROBLEMS BECOME EVN MORE NOTICEABLE. SO NOW HARLEY RE-ENGINEERS THE FRAME TO TAME THE WOBBLES AND MAYBE THERE ISN'T A NEED FOR EXTRA FIXES.
AS THEY SAY TIME WILL TELL

grb

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »

How true, I had no clue anyone had an issue till I saw the bagger brace on this site, now I wonder what the issue is, I have never felt any issues at all even above 100MPH.

There is no doubt the latest touring models have a better system, but in theory at least it is still flawed. Erik Buell has done the definitive study of rubber-mounted engines and concluded they need three stabilizer links, a system he patented. Since Norton patented the system they used on the Commando many of the current bike makers have been busy patenting designs to stabilize rubber-mount engines. The system on current Sportsters and Buells is the best out there at present and undoubtedly superior to the system Harley uses on the current touring models. I just think fewer owners will feel the need to improve their bikes than we owners of older models. Harley hasn't solved the problem, just patched it up better.
Graham.
1990 FLHS 107ci, '03 FXDXT, '06 XB12R.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »

There is no doubt the latest touring models have a better system, but in theory at least it is still flawed. Erik Buell has done the definitive study of rubber-mounted engines and concluded they need three stabilizer links, a system he patented. Since Norton patented the system they used on the Commando many of the current bike makers have been busy patenting designs to stabilize rubber-mount engines. The system on current Sportsters and Buells is the best out there at present and undoubtedly superior to the system Harley uses on the current touring models. I just think fewer owners will feel the need to improve their bikes than we owners of older models. Harley hasn't solved the problem, just patched it up better.

:2vrolijk_21:

As long as the rear mounts allow for any lateral movement, there will be room for improvement.  The new frame is stiffer, the front engine mount setup is more stable, and the swingarm is more rigid as well.  All those things make for a much more stable bike with a much reduced tendency for rear steer and wobble.  That is very good, and only about 30 years overdue.  But, for those who are anal about such things, or who ride at a 10/10ths level, there can still be a need to tighten up that rear mount situation.  For the other 98% of the rider's, however, the '09 and later stock setup seems to be doing just fine.

Twolanerider hit the nail directly on the head in his earlier post.  These companies have made an excellent living selling braces for the older "flexible flyer" models, and just like any company that suddenly faces a huge decrease in their potential market, they aren't above hyping a product with a main purpose of increasing their own profitability, not solving a real problem.  Maybe if they cut the prices in half it wouldn't seem so sleazy.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: I hear ya there
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »

I had the Progressive Touring Link installed , love it.  Along with the Monotubes it made a big difference.

CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

semperfi81

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5B #860 of 999
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »

Coming off a 08 Ultra, mine new 2010 CVO Ultra is night and day difference in handling. :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.