Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Bike Accessory Idea  (Read 767 times)

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
New Bike Accessory Idea
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:03:23 PM »

I know some of you have or know someone that has had a idea for a part that would be well received in the Harley community. What are the various hurdles that you would have to consider to get project like this going, Or sell the idea to a manufacturer. Just picking you'alls heads.
TJ

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: New Bike Accessory Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »

Biggest hurdle is volume.  You may like it, and a couple dozen others think they might want one, but it's a hard sell unless there is the potential for a few hundred items at least.  In the days of the CNC, where if you have a digital template it can be made, it's not as bad, but making a hundred bucks on a run isn't very attractive. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:35:26 AM »

I might be interested in Field Testing for ya. Sounds like you are having those keep you up at night thoughts on a good idea.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:48:10 PM »

I agree with the others, if you wanted to get a large company to start making an item you would have to convince them that there is a real need and it would be profitable for them after the patent searches,development and production costs. Also if the item is simple and can be coppied then they may not want to start making it since once the idea/product is out there sales could dwindle or dry up completely.
As a example : (I don't mind if anyone steals this idea and produces it, I may be one of the first to buy a set!) How about "kick plates" for the rear speaker pods on Ultras to protect the leather from rider and passenger boots?
I would have to develop the product and decide how much coverage is needed and how to attach the plates. maybe even account for different tastes and designs of speaker pods (2006+ leather pac pods vs. other year fiberglass pac etc.) It may take years to get a patent but if you wanted to stay as the controlling owner of the idea I would think you would need that protection.
Then I would test market them at bike shows and rallies, maybe even design a website and also ask friends to start threads on enthusiast websites showing and evaluating the product. Maybe also give samples to the editors of biker magazines so they can do articles on the product. If they don't consider an article then maybe an ad in the magazine could boost sales?
If you develop lots of sales from those efforts then I bet you would get the interest of a large company like Harley or one of the aftermarket accessory companies.
I could imagine a problem area could be in you selling your product and then a large company modifies it slightly and has it made overseas at a cheap price and they force you out of business.
Good luck with your plans.

Devil Dog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42:41 PM »

If you're not out trying to make a million dollars, make a set of what you're thinking and try it out. If it works out, then sell it here on this forum. You could make a few bucks and please people that would appreciate it. JMHO

Lou
Lou
USMC 77-81
"In GOD We Trust"

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.