Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progressive Drop in or Progressive standard front springs?  (Read 1394 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Progressive Drop in or Progressive standard front springs?
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »

Anybody have any experience with either? I am putting a chrome front end on, so the labor doesn't matter. Is there an advantage to the standard spring setup over the drop in setup?

Thanks for you advise

2009 RG

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Re: Progressive Drop in or Progressive standard front springs?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »

I am in the process currently and will have it completed by July 21 come hell or high water, just need a little time to get the Monotubes dropped in and a few miles ridden, I'll be in touch.
Supershooter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Progressive Drop in or Progressive standard front springs?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:08 PM »

Anybody have any experience with either? I am putting a chrome front end on, so the labor doesn't matter. Is there an advantage to the standard spring setup over the drop in setup?

Thanks for you advise

2009 RG

I think the only advantage to the new drop in monotube setup is the simplicity factor.  Take out the old stuff, drop in the new assembly, hit the road.  It's pretty much a one size fits all solution, so just like the stock setup it may be fine for some and not so fine for others.  With the separate parts method, you can change the spring rate without changing the damping, or change the damping without having to change the spring, change the oil level and/or viscosity, change the preload on the spring to adjust ride height, install a different damping control like the RaceTech or Ricor emulators, etc.  In other words, if you want to retain the ability to fine tune the suspension I don't think the monotube is capable of doing that like the separate parts system is.  The monotube is a sealed damper and has no adjustability that I'm aware of.  Of course, if you want the best advice you might want to call a tech support type at Progressive and ask them your question.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 21 queries.