Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone using TwistGear  (Read 1985 times)

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
Anyone using TwistGear
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:11:28 AM »

Has anyone tried Twistgear made by Johnson Engineering in Iowa? In a previous thread regarding final gearing ratio change, several years ago a few members have mentioned this product, but there was not much discussion on it.  In an attempt to re-examine my final gearing, I visited www.twistgear.net as an option to consider.  The site is very comprehensive and informative. 
Main items which replace stock are trapdoor bearings, a more robust countershaft, helical main gear and helical fifth gear. 
Supposedly, TwistGear provides 10% more gear box, which can be used several ways.  If you only install TwistGear, then 1st through 4th will go 10% slower but with 10% more acceleration than current setup. 5th gear rpms will stay the same. Adding one tooth to the transmission pulley, gives 7% more torque in 1st-4th but 5th gear rpms will be reduced 3%. For top end speed/low cruising rpms, change the final drive or primary drive ratios 10% so that 1st-4th stays the same as current setup but 5th gear drops the rpms 10%.
Cost for the product is @ $500.00. 
Anyone using it?

masiman

Re: Anyone using TwistGear
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »

I had this installed on my 2000 road king classic with the taller geared clutch basket from a 2002 road king and love it.      It feels like a big torque boost in the first four gears.     

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.