Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time to do something about my stereo system  (Read 2554 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
Time to do something about my stereo system
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »

I have the dreaded 2011 stereo system and my second amp from Harley is starting to cut out so I don't have much time before it completely quits working.  No sense in replacing it with another bad amp so what do I need to do to get away from the factory equipment?

I did some google searching and can't really find much info that is current.  Most threads I came across were back in 2011/2012.  Thought maybe some new products have come to market for my year.

Can I just buy a 4 channel amp and new speakers then manually wire this to my current radio?  I know there's a write up somewhere on this but has anyone else gone away from the 1ohm amp and speaker set up?

What did you replace it with?

Thanks Brett
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:49:57 AM by 2006ULTRA »
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: Time to do something about my stereo system
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »

I just did a good deal of research on audio Brett and had the amp/speakers/receiver upgraded in my '13 - I posted some details/images of this yesterday in the Ultra Classic Electra Glide section. Is your amp in the fairing? There are a plethora of choices and price points to get away from the stock system. Yes - you can purchase a new amp/speakers and make it work with the stock radio if you choose to do that. For the same money as the MoCo amp/speakers you can do a lot better, but cost will be relevant to what level of upgrades you may be seeking. There are excellent audio guys on this forum who may comment to head you in the right direction. I have the factory amp (mounted under the tour-pak) and four stock speakers that came out of my bike - if you can use these let me know.

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »

I just replaced my harley amp and speakers....
I removed the tour pac amp and installed a J & M 500 watt 4 channel amp in the fairing. Installed J & M Rooker speaker.
I installed the wires into the radio with new radio pins then to the amp. It was a little work but it sounds great and I can clean under my tour pac now lol
Note: the wires running from the radio to the amp is only using the front speakers then the amp splits to the front and back speakers.
I found the unused / empty pin spots on the right side of the radio and used them for the rear speakers with no radio download needed..... Fader works perfect.
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:34:38 PM »

One option to consider is sending your HK Radio off to Iron Cross Audio and having them put the pre amps on it, and then purchase whatever amp / speaker combination fits your wallet and taste.  they have turned radios back to me in under 2 days each time I have dealt with them.   On my 04 I went the way of Alpine headunit and Arc Audio.   

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100245.msg1297556#msg1297556
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 02:58:55 PM »

I used the arc amp and focal speakers on my 2011 ,never had any problem after that

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »

Check Soundz Customz. Peter Jensen provided me with an Arc amp and focal speakers- Great product and service. His website focuses on 14-15, but he has products and installs for many model years.

GRam

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »

Like Mandrew suggested, Soundz is great. I went a rather spendy route with them, the KRC Focals up front, Arc 4 channel amp with HAT lid speakers.
Sounded great, but tinnitus in one ear left me looking for more. Added an 8V line driver, along with a Sony marine head unit (also from Sounz)
along with their controls, and sounds fab. Only gripe is it no longer uses the factory iPod, had to load everything onto a usb stick.
Not end of world by any stretch, more of a pita than anything else.
Next upgrade is KRX in the fairing, and stuff the KRC into tour pack pods, or leg fairings..

SEsupply2

• Senior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 09:47:51 AM »

^^^^ like Mandrew said, Peter Jensen @ www.soundzcustomz.com will help you out. I used his Arc audio amp and 4 Focal speakers on my 2009 Road Glide........give him a call.
2018 FLTRXSE
Fullsac MX pipe and S&S MK45's
Corbin dual touring seat
SOUNDZ Amp, Iron 65 & Iron 57 speakers
HD king tourpak w/chopped backrest
Metalsport luggage rack
JH Choppers floorboards
Freedom windshield 13"
Ciro3d cupholders
Ohlins 159 shocks
Avon grips/pegs

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.