Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electronic throttle sticking  (Read 6528 times)

evilapes

Electronic throttle sticking
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:58:16 PM »

I have a 2009 cvo roadglide. I have about 8000 miles on it. At about 5000 miles, I had a mastertuner, bassani slipons, & cats removed from the header pipe. Bike was tuned on a dyno for eight hours.Bike ran great until recently. Now the throttle is sticking & seems to be gradually getting worse. Besides that, it runs great. Is this a tune issue & should I take it back to the tuner. Or is this a problem that I should let the dealer handle under warranty. Any help would be appreciated. I know, no pictures.Forgot to mention, throttle will stick almost as if I have the cruise control on until I manually twist it back.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Electronic throttle sticking
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »

I have a 2009 cvo roadglide. I have about 8000 miles on it. At about 5000 miles, I had a mastertuner, bassani slipons, & cats removed from the header pipe. Bike was tuned on a dyno for eight hours.Bike ran great until recently. Now the throttle is sticking & seems to be gradually getting worse. Besides that, it runs great. Is this a tune issue & should I take it back to the tuner. Or is this a problem that I should let the dealer handle under warranty. Any help would be appreciated. I know, no pictures.Forgot to mention, throttle will stick almost as if I have the cruise control on until I manually twist it back.

Do you have any end play if you try to slide the grip side to side?  You should have, and if you don't that's probably your problem.  Could be the grip sticking in the switch housing, or something going on with the electronic throttle sensor in the end of the handlebar.  Get the dealership to check it out, it's not a tuning issue.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

evilapes

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »

Thank you, I'll be calling the dealer this week.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »

Had the same problem on the same bike.  Dealer fixed but don't know what they did.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

There is a tension screw inside the housing that sometimes vibrates itself tighter........Probably the only screw in the world that does that on a Harley :huepfenlol2:
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

evilapes

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »

Great responses, thank you for all the advice!

evilapes

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »

Just got back from the dealer.  They told me that my problem is in the mini apes that I had installed. They said the bars are too thick for the grips, the wires were bent in the bars,  not run through properly, & no end play. The bars are L.A. Chopper mini apes. The dealer said they'd fix it for around $160. I called the shop that did the bars, they said, not true, impossible, & they would've seen that. Taking it back this week to the shop that did the bars. Will keep u posted. To all the responders, sorry I didn't mention the bars. I'm an idiot & didn't even think of that. Responses & opinions appreciated.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »

Just got back from the dealer.  They told me that my problem is in the mini apes that I had installed. They said the bars are too thick for the grips, the wires were bent in the bars,  not run through properly, & no end play. The bars are L.A. Chopper mini apes. The dealer said they'd fix it for around $160. I called the shop that did the bars, they said, not true, impossible, & they would've seen that. Taking it back this week to the shop that did the bars. Will keep u posted. To all the responders, sorry I didn't mention the bars. I'm an idiot & didn't even think of that. Responses & opinions appreciated.

Now, THAT would make sense! Glad they found it.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:50:10 PM »

I hope they weren't trying to say that the electrical wires being "bent" caused the throttle to stick.  I agree that the routing of the wires and the freeplay can eventually cause a failure of the electronic throttle control, but it has nothing to do with the grip sticking (it's not like a cable system "binding").  Now, if the bar is the wrong diameter for the grip, or wasn't built properly for the throttle sensor, then yes indeed that is a problem.  Should be real easy to determine with a simple caliper measurement.  BTW, your original post indicated that this sticking problem wasn't all the time, and that it was starting to get worse.  Did the beginning of the problem coincide with the installation of the bars?  If yes, I think the answer is pretty obvious.  And make sure they fix that wiring issue also, since it will probably cause problems in the future if not corrected.  You really don't want to lose throttle control while out playing in bumper to bumper traffic.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »

My throttle began sticking like I had a Throttlemeister on it last week. I took it in this morning and the dealer adjusted the switch mount (allowing for a little end play like grc stated)  and all is well now. A plus was I ended up with a new front tire under warranty, as well. The tread pattern is/was backwards from the way it is installed now. I didn't really have any problems with the original tire but I sure wasn't going to say "No"! I only have 2,500 miles on the bike.
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

evilapes

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »

Got problem fixed. Inside of throttle grip had too much rubber. Some rubber was grinded out & all is perfect. Thanks everyone.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »

Got problem fixed. Inside of throttle grip had too much rubber. Some rubber was grinded out & all is perfect. Thanks everyone.

So a bad rubber molding of an OE part had shed a little debris?

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 25 queries.