Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buffalo Attack  (Read 4070 times)

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
Buffalo Attack
« on: August 10, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »

2 min into video, got this off another forum I frequent.

Sorry if it is a repost

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
Re: Buffalo Attack
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »

it's always a good policy to stay clear of calves ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »

I guess that gives new meaning to take the bull by the horns  :o

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »

Wow, I've been pretty close to those things trying to get by, but never saw anything like that. Definitely stay well clear of the little ones!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »

In yellowstone, although in the car, they got tooooo close for comfort.

Pucker factor if I was on the bike!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »

Holy crap!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:33:24 AM »

animals in general are not a motorcycles best friend - I've seen a guy thrown over just by an overfriendly neighbours dog  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 01:52:45 AM »

Wow, I've been pretty close to those things trying to get by, but never saw anything like that. Definitely stay well clear of the little ones!

Thats the key to it all guys, they are wild animals even range cows when they have calves are going to be very protective. Thats all she was doing is giving a warning, he's dam lucky thats all she did!! 

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:45:32 AM »

I love how he is walking around after it happened looking like "which one of you buffalo did that?".  Pick up your scoot and get the heck out of dodge dumb arse!!  Stand there and look like you are going to try and confront the buffalo that just knocked you on your duppa - Hilarious.

I notice all the smart riders at the end of the video are lined up with bikes parked just watching the buffalo and waiting.  There are three herds that roam Custer State Park, if you are lucky when you ride thru you get to see some, like that herd, near the road.  If they are crossing the road your best bet is to park it and wait, or turn around and go back the other way (the road is a loop thru the park that comes out almost at the same point on either end).  Try and go thru like the guy with the camera goin did and risk your life. 

Guy was lucky all that happened was he got knocked off his scoot.  Buffalo could have easily killed him.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »

I love how he is walking around after it happened looking like "which one of you buffalo did that?".  Pick up your scoot and get the heck out of dodge dumb arse!!  Stand there and look like you are going to try and confront the buffalo that just knocked you on your duppa - Hilarious.

I notice all the smart riders at the end of the video are lined up with bikes parked just watching the buffalo and waiting.  There are three herds that roam Custer State Park, if you are lucky when you ride thru you get to see some, like that herd, near the road.  If they are crossing the road your best bet is to park it and wait, or turn around and go back the other way (the road is a loop thru the park that comes out almost at the same point on either end).  Try and go thru like the guy with the camera goin did and risk your life. 

Guy was lucky all that happened was he got knocked off his scoot.  Buffalo could have easily killed him.

The guy walking around was his friend? The guy who got knocked off his scoot was in the white shirt walking to the back of the white pick up truck looking at his wounds, I heard he had some broken ribs. The guy walking around looked like he came off the Orange CVO Street Glide parked with no rider?

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »

He was "crowding" the family crossing the road and got too close to a calf. If you watch it carefully, Papa first chased the calf and Moms away from the road before turning to plow the guy over. That was a "gentle bump" warning. If they get really mad, you are looking at a ton of meat charging at 35 MPH. Their heads are covered with so much grizzle that they can slam full speed and full force into solid steel without injury to themselves. Young bulls have stomped cycles into pieces and totalled tour buses. They are afraid of nothing. The bigger or louder it is, the more likely they will attack it.

I was talking with the Hill City EMTs yesterday and one told me the following. At the stop sign at the end of main street next to the post office, a deer darted out across the road just as a bike left the stop. The driver ducked as the deer lept over him and then stopped to see his wife laying in the road. Guess she didn't duck. No serious injury.
This was in the middle of town. Ride safe and stay clear of any animals...
jb

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »

good advice  ;)

Yesterday a buzzard almost took me out - stupid as they come  ;D

Evidently caught too many mice for his stomach on the flooded fields and had an extremely inept emergency take off from the kerb ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 11:10:06 AM »

Too close for comfort

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »

Rode thru wildlife loop yesterday and there were many different groups of buffs all over the road. I live here and see many idiots every year that come for Sturgis rally, but I have to say that about 30% this year couldn't pass a basic intelligence test. Every year before the rally I try to communicate how dangerous the buffalo are and what to watch out for here in the hills. After this season, I think I am wasting my time and probably will just quit trying to warn people.

In Hill City at a stop sign, one couple were just pulling away when a deer pounced out next to the post office. The rider saw it coming and ducked, the passenger must not have been paying attention since the deer knocked her off when jumping over them. (at least that's the way my EMTs explained it). Right in the same area a vehicle overheated and dumped a bunch of antifreeze (again, right in town) and a whole group of bikes went down. I think only a broken arm in the group. Had these happened just outside of town you would have seen another 5-6 dead I imagine.

In the twisties I passed hundreds of bike either right on or completely over the centerline. I guess some riders just have a deathwish. But, the worst I saw was people on bikes and cars trying to "herd" Buffalos out of the way. I thought for sure some of those people were gonna be on the dead list because the big male Buffs were showing all the signs of agitation including the growl that it is your last warning before a charge. People just fly by next to them with no respect. If you were one of these riders, please don't came back. I don't need to read your name in the newspapers.

Hope everyone enjoyed themselves and get home safe. maybe by next year some of those clowns will have learned how to ride...

jb

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.