Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: harleys heads and cams  (Read 1915 times)

HarleyGirl

harleys heads and cams
« on: September 19, 2005, 03:41:06 PM »

i want to stick with harley parts, how much more power can i get on  my seeg by puttin  harleys cc ported  heads and one of there  hot cams, i have 100 hp  now, or would this create too much vibration and heat , i still want to be able to drive in some heavy traffic at times

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
Re: harleys heads and cams
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:03:11 PM »

I'll let you know, I am having that work done now on my SEEG.  Should get it back sometime this week.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:27:38 PM »

Harley Girl,

You will most likely want to go with the 251 cam and the 103+ heads they should get you somewhere around 105 to 110 hp / Torque.

If you go to a 257 or 258 cam you will really change the way the bike runs it will be mostly a full open throttle runner.   Myself I prefer the run from 30 to 100 and was why I chose the cam I did.   I would not however choose the 211, 204, 203 cams I have had all of these in my bikes and finally settled on the 251.

The cam will pull a bit more down low and will run reliably if you that is what your after.   On my bike I had 109 / 109 with the stock fuel injection throttle body and the Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and Race Tuner.

What pipes are you going to use?   This will also play into your equation.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HarleyGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 06:27:48 PM »

I have screamin eagle slipons.  Did you notice heat or vibrations.  What Pipe are you running on your bike.

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 07:11:15 PM »

Hey Unbalanced,
What is wrong with the 211's ? My mechanic recommended the 211 's on these bikes. Said it would be a big improvement without sacraficing dependability. I still hadn't made up my mind until another friend showed me a brand new set still in the box that he is giving me for next to nothing.

I am going with the adjustable rods and am told if I want to change cams again I isn't that big a deal.

Your thoughts on that as well would be greatly apprieciated.

thanks [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 07:15:18 PM »

I forgot to mention,
SE air cleaner
HD race tuner
V&H Pro Pipe

Cams, Undecided but leaning toward 211's

ANY OTHER INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPREICEATED
THANKS

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 11:16:42 AM »

Well since you asked,

I had the 211's in my ultra, the cam didnt run well for me getting the bike going out of the hole or when at low rpm's.   I wanted a cam that drove me all the way through not just when I was at 3500 to 5500 rpms.   I changed to the 204 first and with the head builders recommendation tried the 251 with the 103 upgrade I did from the 95 inch.  This cam pulled me out of the hole ran me up to 5200 rpm.   Free or near free is great, but if your unhappy what is saving 250 bucks other than a would have should have conversation and now your paying for labor twice.

The 211 I would think would run better in a lighter bike like the dyna, but in the heavier bike it didnt do so well for me.  I dont think its a bad cam just not a cam for me in a touring bike.

Hope this explains a bit better why I don't recommend that cam.

Just a thought depending on need to look stock like so many on this board :)  

If you do go with the 211 I am pretty sure you can now get perfect fit push rods for it and then dont need to buy the replacement covers and the bike stays looking stock where no one can tell you changed the cam :)     [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
The 251 you can not get perfect fits for last time i had checked on it.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 11:19:31 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 07:47:02 PM »

Hey Unbalanced,
What is wrong with the 211's ? My mechanic recommended the 211 's on these bikes. Said it would be a big improvement without sacraficing dependability. I still hadn't made up my mind until another friend showed me a brand new set still in the box that he is giving me for next to nothing.

I am going with the adjustable rods and am told if I want to change cams again I isn't that big a deal.

Your thoughts on that as well would be greatly apprieciated.

thanks [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Nothing wrong with the 211 cams if I may be excused and jump in here. The single most important factors in cam selection are first : where do you want the power ..and second and equally improtant is : what compression does the cam need to perform properly.
A 204 or 211 cam in an 88" motor at 8.9:1 will behave differenty  than in a 95" 9.6 :1 motor. Then head chamber design(squish) and valve and port size come into play. you cant compare a 211 cam in a 9.6:1 95" motor to the same cam in a 103 motor at 9.0:1.
We unfortunately have pretty sh**ty heads on our 103 CVO motors in that there is no "squish" to speak of to give some turbulance in the combustion chamber and the low comp. ratio of 9.0:1 limits us on cam selection. For good torque down low you want less than 240 Degrees duration and you want to close the intake valve at around 40 degrees abdc..to make up for the low compression by building higher cylinder pressure.
The 251 is basically a high lift version of the 211 if you look at the timing numbers...in fact the event numbers are different simply because of the difference in lift. The 211 is 23/45 intake ..59/17 exhaust at .508 lift    the 251 is 18/46 intake ..56/14 exhaust at .579 lift.  The 251 is called a Torque cam cause of the high lift/short duration...the valves arent open that long for less overlap and higher cylinder pressure but they open much further to try and fill the cylinder better. The 251 cam will be noisy cause of the steep ramps on the cam.  your valve springs are "rated" to .575 lift and the 251 is at .579 ..but there is normally about 20 thou. fudge factor so you would be ok.
The 251 likes some compression though to work it's best and you dont have it...I dont like either cam as I feel if you are going in the cam chest..then get rid of the tensioners and go gear drive and be done with it.  But of the two, the 211 will suit the motor better cause of the compression.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.