Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HID high beam issue  (Read 1086 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
HID high beam issue
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:52:23 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that the HID H9 & H11 bulbs sold from every manufacturer that I am aware of or have purchased from, have the same focal length and look identical? As a result, putting an H9 HID bulb in the high beam headlamp location of late model touring CVOs does not put the light down on the road where it's needed, but instead the light beam is scattered or shoots way too high. I get virtually no benefit of an HID ballast and bulb in the high beam location of my SEUC4&5s, both of which have HID in the low & high beam locations in the stock headlamp. It really hit home when I took delivery of my new 2011 cvo SG and when I rode at night for the first time & hit the high beam switch I actually got a dose of light on the road where I need it.

Unless I can find a solution, which I'd love to because of the extra candlepower HIDs put out, this time with my new motorcycle I think I'll just replace the stock low beam with HID.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: HID high beam issue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »

Not news.  Most of the aftermarket HID kits use the same bulb.  The difference down the road isn't really the bulb though.  It's the reflector.  Have you adjusted the light up or down to attempt to put the beam where you want it.  That's all I had to do.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »

Usually with the dual headlight fixture you will need to raise the beam height. You will most likely need to shorten the top spring by at least two rings.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
      Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »

Not news.  Most of the aftermarket HID kits use the same bulb.  The difference down the road isn't really the bulb though.  It's the reflector.  Have you adjusted the light up or down to attempt to put the beam where you want it.  That's all I had to do.

The headlamp reflector adjustment controls both the hi & lo beam since it is one housing. I adjusted my reflector for the low beam, which is used most of the time, and by doing that the high beam is off. I don't know how you can adjust hi beam bulb. It needs to sit flush on the lamp and with the twist lock, there isn't a way to move the bulb forward or backward. I've seen new HID kits that allow you to adjust the focal point of the bulb once it's in the headlamp (they claim it allows the HID kits to be legal in all 50 states because the glare due to improper focal point location in the headlamp is eliminated) but those are just becoming available on automobile headlamps, and they are not available in H9, H11, or H4 yet.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »

The headlamp reflector adjustment controls both the hi & lo beam since it is one housing. I adjusted my reflector for the low beam, which is used most of the time, and by doing that the high beam is off. I don't know how you can adjust hi beam bulb. It needs to sit flush on the lamp and with the twist lock, there isn't a way to move the bulb forward or backward. I've seen new HID kits that allow you to adjust the focal point of the bulb once it's in the headlamp (they claim it allows the HID kits to be legal in all 50 states because the glare due to improper focal point location in the headlamp is eliminated) but those are just becoming available on automobile headlamps, and they are not available in H9, H11, or H4 yet.

Don't know what luck you've had or not had.  Just know that in the half dozen or so I've put in with each I adjusted them up to get the high beam at a point you'd want it to be going down the road.  That also put the low beam in a good spot.  It worked.  At least on those bikes.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.