Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throttle cable hint  (Read 858 times)

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
Throttle cable hint
« on: March 12, 2006, 07:56:20 AM »

While in the keys last week, I moved my 05 SE Electraglide by just pushing it.  I felt a click in the right grip, but didnt pay any attention to it at the time.    The next morning, after loading the bike for the trip back to Daytona, I started it to warm it up, then tried to raise the rpm just a tad,  UtOh,,,,,no throttle.

I pulled the cover off the throttle grip and found the cable had been pinched somehow and cut clear thru, clean as a whistle. wonderful feeling NOT!!!

As it was Thursday, I called Peterson's Harley in S. Miami and they came to the rescue within an hour and trailered us back to the dealer for a replacement cable.  It was covered under warranty, though they didnt have the braided cable, no big deal,,,I can order that this week.

This was a first for me, and I can only advise you that I will no longer put that kind of pressure on the throttle in the future.  

Had they not been open, I would have looked into swapping the return cable to the throttle position for the emergency fix.  No clue how that would have worked out, but it would beat walking,,lolol

Tom

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
Re: Throttle cable hint
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 08:42:51 AM »

While in the keys last week, I moved my 05 SE Electraglide by just pushing it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 08:52:08 AM by bgregston »
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 10:16:02 AM »

Bret,,,while I had the throttle grip cover off,,,I looked and looked to see what may have caused this.   The grip did have a slight bit of play in it, end to end,,,but nothing I could see that would have cut the cable.  One of lifes mysteries I suppose.

All i can tell you about pushing the bike was, I only went to turn it around in the parking spot, and it was slightly uphill.   I was pulling back as usual with the grips, and "click".  That was it.

This is my 5th Harley, and the only time it ever occurred.  Weird for sure.

I checked with the dealer about the possibility of swapped the cables if it happened again.  They claim it will work, you just have to switch the cable on the grip end and swap it on the injector end. I would imagine you would have to manually return the throttle with this emergency fix.   Hopefully I will never have an occassion to try it.

As far as what I carry, if on a trip, 3/8 drive ratchet, spark splug socket, Set of 3/8 drive allen's  set of 3/8 drive torx's   regular full set of long allens, 3/8 thru 3/4 open ends, full set of 1/4 inch sockets with extensions and ratchet. #27 torx driver, one regular screw driver, one phillips, small 12 volt aircompressor, two different type of plug material for flat tires, roll of electrical tape,  tire gauge. one quart of oil, first aid kit with bandages, antiseptic ointment, adhesive tape, etc.  Sounds like a lot of stuff,,,but actually I just roll up the loose tools in a small towel to keep them from ratteling in the saddlebag.  Everything else fits in ok.  On top of all of this, I throw in a couple of micro clothes and a bottle of detailer.

Tom

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 10:30:01 AM »

Condoms,  always keep a couple of condoms in your E kit.  This may sound strange,  but on two different occasions I managed to McGuiver 2 broken bikes with little more than a condom and a set of allen wrenches.

First one was on a trip to the Yuma Prison run,  one bro fell way way back (right in the middle of the desert),  bike wouldn't get up past 10 MPH.  After some investigation,  I found a hole in the diaphram in his CV carb.  I whipped out the old Trojan (Extra Large of course) and pulled it over the whole diaphram,  bit a little hole in it for the needle to go through,  and off we went.  We made it to Yuma and got the right part from the dealer.

Second one was just a chaffed wire under the gas tank and no one had electrical tape,  so I wrapped that sucker up and off again.

I would also recomend a small DVM (digital Voltage meter),  you can buy inexpensive ones almost anywhere (Radio Shack, PEP Boy, and parts store),  but 90% of the times someone has broken down on a trip,  it's been electrical.

It sounds to me like you got everything else covered.....Good luck.

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:36 AM »

[highlight]Condoms,  always keep a couple of condoms in your E kit. [/highlight]
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 10:42:49 AM »

If I added condums,,,,,bet your sweet bippy I would also have the print out of your reply, lots easier to explain why I have them to the better half...lolololololol

Tom

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 11:04:20 AM »

You could always use the "we fill them with water and trow them off the roof" bit.  Tried that once with Mrs. Beagle,  she didn't buy it though. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.