Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dale Leo's Ride  (Read 1194 times)

daleleo

Dale Leo's Ride
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:31:41 PM »

Hi

I have posted a few inquiries but have mostly been monitoring the site for ideas and tips until now.

So first, thanks to all.  I have learned a great deal and I really appreciate everyone's passion and expertise.

Second, I think I am "done" for now and wanted to share my experience and how I upgraded my bike.

I have a 2010 Spiced Rum Street Glide. I added several things that made the bike more comfortable for my 6' 9" frame including:

- Cycle Smiths 13" apes
- HD Tall Boy seat
- Highway Pegs

Additionally I worked with Jim at Metal Dragon (who is the best full stop) and added

- Fueling 574 cam
- Fullsac 2" cores and gutted cat
- I don’t have a way to easily show the dyno but mine is in line with all others (108 HP and 113 ft lbs of torque at 4K and 6k respectively)

I also have the Klockwerks 8.5" windshield.

I also added a clear bra on the faring, tank, and saddle bag tops from Premier in Fremont CA.

Overall, you can take or leave the mods I did to accommodate my size.  Im very pro the "No Cal fist in the wind" ape riding position, but to each their own here.

The cam and Full Sac alterations made the bike really come alive. If you have a 110 I would run, not walk, and make these changes.  You have no idea what you are missing if you are running a stock 110.

The Klockwerks windshield frankly made the bike rideable.  I was almost blown off the road last winter on the Dumbarton bridge with the stock 2010 windshield.  I know there a several brands but a "flare" windshield seems a wise investment.

The clear bra is arguable, Premier is recognized as the leader in No Cal but they said the fairing and other curves posed several challenges to them.  So there are a few "bubbles" that need to be addressed but in five years when I have no road chips, I hope that this decision will prove to be a wise one.

Again, thanks for all of your thoughts and advice (even if it was passed on without your knowledge).

Ride safe and I look forward to meeting you in the future

Dale

Lucky88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG Kryptonite/Black Diamond
    • CVO3: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
Re: Dale Leo's Ride
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:32:42 AM »

Nice ride! I'm wondering...now you have the klockwerks windscreen, have you noticed any helmet buffetting above 70mph? I'm running a 7' Freedom shield with curve and above 70mph, buffetting is so bad everything is just a blurr
2004 Honda RVT1000-(RC51) still in crate
2004 BMW K1200RS - Go anywhere bike
2006 BMW GS Adventure special edition -still in crate
2009 BMW HP2 Sport  #1-w/ABS- still in crate
2010 CVO SESG- Spiced Rum- wants to come out to play
2011 BMW HP2 Sport - Waiting for a Motorsport Edition-wishful thinking
2011 CVO SESG- Kryptonite- Finally arrived 2-21-11
2011.5 CVO Ultra Classic- Blue or Red? ...BLUE! arrived 3-28-11

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum a.k.a Jack Sparrow
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:27:57 AM »

Good looking Spiced Rum.  Agree with your mods - i'm a titch at 6'5", but new screen, seat and bars are a must for those with longer limbs.  Had been thinking of some new footboards with longer brake and shift arms, gives another inch on the controls and upto 6" more on the foot.

Personally, I love the moustache bar and would not swap it for anything including highway pegs which I feel just dont work IMO.   

Nice pic and let's hear more from you - my mods will be completed at the end of this month. 

Cheers
Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »

You definately have a nice ride there Dale.  And I'll have to concur with the performance mods that you've done......the increased performance while keeping the stock compression speaks for itself. :2vrolijk_21:

After I returned from dropping you off at the BART station, they were all laughing at having to look "up" when talking to you and how "small" I seemed next to you. :nervous:  At 6'4" and 220 lbs. that doesn't happen to often. :)

It was a pleasure meeting you and look forward to riding with you in the future.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

daleleo

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:50:35 AM »

Nice ride! I'm wondering...now you have the klockwerks windscreen, have you noticed any helmet buffetting above 70mph? I'm running a 7' Freedom shield with curve and above 70mph, buffetting is so bad everything is just a blurr

There is no buffeting at all.  I can ride comfortably at 80 or even 90 miles per hour.

Thanks

Dale

NativTexan

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »

I am 6'2 and I have to agree with you about the stock windshield being almost worthless.  It looks pretty cool but sucks on any ride over 10 miles.
I installed the 8 1/2 inch Klockworks and love it.  Great looking bike and love the mods.
I did install the fulsac 2.0 and gutting the cat as well.  Now it actually sounds great and the heat was decreased dramatically.
2011 Black Diamond/Crimson FLXSE2
Allen, Texas

CJ

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »

Nice Ride  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.